smith,searcy,mayes-see an injury trend | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

smith,searcy,mayes-see an injury trend

zsonka

Practice Squad
Reaction score
please start drafting better and maybe we can stay alittle healthier. stop banking on guys that have not played in two years. fine we got lucky SO FAR with nails but these 3 have been out of football for two years now make it 3.

We were just about ready to cut mayes and smith. And mayes was way over weight coming in and an injury waiting to happen. Why did they keep him so long when they stole a rookie in the draft and had a solid backup.

Delete Searcy, only Mayes is really the long injury prong guy there...Brent is off and on...injury wise..

ignore baby zonk......... he needs the season to begin so we stop losing players to injury.. i am a big 41 year old baby. still playing college flag football and i act like a kid when things don't go right for the phins.

these last few teaser years have been exhausting ...... sorry for the silly whining about nothing........

thank goodness we warm up the year against the lions who don't even have a QB.........20-10 phins win the opener

Injury Prone

is a phrase that I never understood.

If a player has a chronic problem (a surgically repaired knee for example) or is out of shape, then he will be more susceptible to injury.

If he plays a certain position (FB, QB) the injury rates are higher.

A player might be naturally frail - but at the NFL level I doubt there are many.

I firmly feel that injury is 80% luck - BAD LUCK.

To look at a player's injury history and extrapolate it to the future by saying that he is injury prone, is usually not valid (look at WR Jimmy Smith).

This is an interesting topic that I have had many discussions about with football personnel as with as physicians.

I could not disagree more jack. There are players that are injury prone and there are good reasons why they are. Some players have too frail of a body for the NFL pounding (ie too skinny). Jay Fiedler went through that his first year starting, and bulked up so that he could take the pounding. Some players have natural technique and instincts to avoid injury. See Curtis Martin, who is excellent at padding himself from hits. Some people do not, see Brent Smith. Are you going to tell me that it is a coincidence that Leon Searcy tore both triceps in two years?

NFL players have to constantly be on their guard and be wary of their processes because they are pushing their bodies to the limits. When you injure one part of the body it changes your technique. Injury-free, a players processes are like a delicate balance that has enabled them to work through high school and college ball. Significantly injure one part of that body though, and the process has to change...the technique has to change. Some areas of the body have to hold up more weight to make up for the injured portion. This leads to injuries in other areas of the body because they are being overstressed.

Want proof? Look no further than Tim Bowens, who had surgery on one knee, then ended up injuring the other knee simply because he was putting too much weight on the other knee due to the injury to the first knee. Doctors actually said this, they attributed his second knee injury to the first knee injury saying that he babied the knee too much and put too much pressure on the healthy knee. Want more proof? Robert Edwards was not cut from the Patriots last year because of any knee problems stemming from his grotesque injury to the knee. He was cut because of groin problems...the same groin problems he had early in preseason with us. The knee hasn't given him trouble since he attempted his comeback (other than the simple fact that his knee doesn't have the same range of motion etc).

But indeed some injuries, most contact injuries I would say, can be quite random (a guy rolling up on the back of your leg etc). However, the majority of injuries in the NFL are not contact injuries I don't think. Brent Smith tore two ACLs during plays in which not a single player touched him.

and my point is helped here because searcy had a trend , mayes had a trend and came in way over weight and smith had a trend as well......

try to keep away from these guys cause they ALL count against our cap space. they still get paid even though they are injured and we get NOTHING in return gambling on these guys.

don't ya wish we had let go of Mayes and Smith when they were back to second and third team instead of playing them one extra game before cutting them ,only to EAT their salary and put them on IR.

someone in the front office is saying DAMN IT we were just about to release these 2 overpaid veterans and now we pay them to sit on IR. this NFL is a game of numbers and caps and this hurt the team that is all i am saying.

and it could have been easily avoided by letting them go rather them playing them .....mayes was and injury waiting to happen coming in at 300 pounds..............

Back
Top Bottom