so are we ready to shed millions?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Tannchise, Dec 6, 2017 at 3:22 PM.

1. Tannchise

Tannchise A True Fan

Some of this is not real, but right now we have $16M in projected cap space in 2018:
    Adding for fun:
    Suh $4M
    Tann $15M
    Pouncey $7M
    James $9.5M
    Wake $8M
    Timmons $1M
    Thomas $6.5M
    Larsen $1M
    Gray $1M
    Carroo $500K
    Grant $500K

That's cap room of $71M. Based on who I cut, franchising Jarvis at$16M and getting a veteran qb at $20M. Could $35M be sepent to make this team competitive, knowing that more cuts can be made in 2019? Just remember the Eagles built their OL with three players making $500K-$1M each. Maybe they sign Jarvis to a long term deal and a qb to a more cap friendly deal

2. datruth55

datruth55 Starter Finheaven VIP

3. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

So you're cutting Suh and Tannehill but then you're getting a veteran QB for 20mill?
    why are you cutting Carroo when he doesn't even cost anything? and you're giving our slot WR 16mill?

Ozzy rules!!

4. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

I was wondering about that 16mill number too. Maybe if we hadn't gotten Cutler but not now

Ozzy rules!!

5. dnespins

dnespins Smokin' n Jokin' Finheaven VIP

i think the purge is coming 2019, not this offseason. hope im wrong.

dolfan91 likes this.
  6. <O>

<O> Well-Known Member

If you're cutting or trading Tannehill, doing some or all of those other things, and ending up with all that money, you should go ahead and pay Kirk Cousins what he's likely to make and have one of the best QBs in the league, rather than getting a roughly average QB with $20M.

7. datruth55

datruth55 Starter Finheaven VIP

Well if you cut Tannehill, who counts $19.8 million towards the cap, and sign another guy for basically the same money, you get to count the $20 million for the new player plus the dead money from Tannehill's contract. But more importantly you get rid of a player he doesn't like because signing a bunch of free agents has always worked out well for the Dolphins.

mnphinfan, dolpns13, Stoobz and 2 others like this.
  8. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

Box score reading at its finest.

9. psfign

psfign A True Fan

lol I just don't understand this place sometimes...

tazthenomad, lurking, Spiff and 4 others like this.
  10. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Finheaven VIP Donator

Only on Finheaven do they get rid of Tannehill for Cousins and call it an upgrade.

11. Adam First

Adam First Don't Hate Miami Finheaven VIP Donator

Tannehill isn't going anywhere. If Miami's getting a QB at all this offseason it's through the draft or the free agent bargain bin.

J. David Wannyheimer likes this.
  12. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

I'm willing to bet it's more than that. Most likely it's ratings monitoring. This poster really harps on rating for and rating against. I'm guessing Cousins has one of the better ratings in the league based on the assertion that he's, "one of the top QB's in the league".

13. J. David Wannyheimer

Here's what I am going to say about Kirk Cousins:

Why does Washington not want to pay him 'market value?' Why did Kyle Shanahan - who knows Cousins very well - decide to throw a second rounder at Jimmy Garoppolo instead of looking to get Cousins in free agency when San Francisco has a lot of cap room available soon? Those who know Kirk Cousins best don't want to invest in him.

Hopefully he won't be our next Mike Wallace.

We should absolutely draft a quarterback if a player that we like falls to us.

I'd also see if Teddy Bridgewater is available.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017 at 4:27 PM
    trojanma and fin415 like this.
  14. <O>

<O> Well-Known Member

Tell us how we know when the other available information disagrees with what's in a box score, and then tell us how we can determine when you're wrong in that regard.

In other words, tell us why we should trust "J. David Wannyheimer," a nobody on a message board, over a box score, when we have no problem at all trusting that what's in a box score is in fact correct.

15. J. David Wannyheimer

I don't care if you trust me or not, because here are some facts about your previous stint on this message board:

A) You exploited a forums loophole to prevent posters critical of your arguments from being able to rebut them in your threads,

B) You admitted to fabricating statistics in order to try to troll the forum, and

C) You argued that Andy Dalton was a really good quarterback because he had good efficiency stats that one year.

If you don't appreciate my opinions on NFL quarterback play, that's great. I wouldn't have it any other way.

16. <O>

<O> Well-Known Member

And it's even more than that, in fact.

Take a look here at the comparison between Cousins and Tannehill in terms of DVOA over the past three years, and then read how DVOA is defined:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb

Awsi Dooger likes this.
  17. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Burn the Jolly Roger Moderator Finheaven VIP

This team isn't good at spending money, so I don't expect to reap the rewards after the upcoming yard sale.

18. J. David Wannyheimer

Re-signing Jarvis Landry is probably the best thing we could do with that money, and it looks like the team isn't even willing to do that. I'm not sure who would be available in free agency that would actually be worth pursuing. I am a fan of Jimmy Graham, but not at the kind of salary he's going to command. I'd much rather just bring back Juice if we're going to break the bank for a receiving target.

19. hoops

hoops exited stage left

It damn sure isn’t tape evaluation

damaster21, fininpsl, rickd13 and 2 others like this.
  20. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

In 2019 both Suh and Branches contracts are more reasonable in terms of cap saving, especially if Suh is designated as a post June 1st cut. I believe they’ll both be gone. As for 2018, I think it’s reasonable to think Pouncey and Tannehill will be asked to restructure. Not sure why they’d do that for Pouncey but apparently he’s a Gase favorite. Thomas was expected to be cut, but now there are rumblings his recent play may get him his final year on that contact. Timmons after his off field turmoil, I think is a no brainer, he’ll be cut. It’s looking like Anthony will get his shot next year. Money will be available in both 2018 and 2019, dependant on who they purge. But most of those names will still be here until 2019.

21. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Burn the Jolly Roger Moderator Finheaven VIP

We don't like to keep our good draft picks outside of Jones, Tannehill and Pouncey, the latter two being heavily debated. So I fully expect Landry to be playing elsewhere.

22. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Before he got injured, Gase saw the promised land with Tannehill. He's not going anywhere. Suh gives us brand recognition so neither is he. Pouncey could easily go. Ditto Thomas and Gray. Hopefully James will renegotiate.

Anyone who watched the backlash in New Jersey when McAdoo sat Eli has to realize that Wake needs to retire a Fin if for nothing more than PR.

FWIW I see that Shouright 's true colors are now shining through; it's obvious he tried to keep his OCD obsession with Tannehill under wraps since changing his IP to back door into FH. You know, the same obsession that got him kicked to the curb in the first place.

mnphinfan likes this.
  23. J. David Wannyheimer

Jay Gruden is a magician. Even made Dalton look good.

*Demi*God* and Dolphins81 like this.
  24. hoops

hoops exited stage left

You think tanny is gonna restructure after this year of garbage can worthy qb play?

Nope. And even more nope when his salary is a bargain by qb standards once the market flies off the handle for Kirk Cousins this offseason

mnphinfan, Spiff, fininpsl and 2 others like this.
  25. J. David Wannyheimer

Gonna be people saying we should sign Eli Manning, too. No thanks. Good luck wherever you land, Eli, but I sure hope it's not here.

Albert Romano, rickd13 and Dolphins81 like this.
  26. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

I never said Tannehill will restructure, but I do believe they’ll ask him to. But if they throw guaranteed money on the table as part of the restructure, you never know?

27. hoops

hoops exited stage left

If they do that they will be extending the cap commitment or implications

Right now they have a walk away after 2018 scott free.

But they are only gonna entertain that if he tears that knee again in 2018

dolfan91 likes this.
  28. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Here are my player boundaries.
    Tannehill and Suh may restructure, but they WILL be back as starters.
    Kiko and Branch will be back,
    James and Pouncey may restructure, though I think both will be back, depending on play of their backups. I'm inclined both will restructure or be gone.
    Wake may retire - he's not the same player, and his value in a trade is small.
    Anyone in the $1mm or less group won't be cut for cap space.
    Landry takes ~$10mm or he's gone.

fininpsl likes this.
  29. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Tannehill will be here in 2019, and FO should not look to FA for help at QB. If he checks out (hand size, off-field), Mayfield, if available, is my ideal pick in the 1st. Darnold is more of a gamble, imo, but he's also worth the risk.

I don't know if Browning will declare, but if he does, I'd like him for Miami in the 4th. I'd advise Browning to return - needs more bulk. But, he's smart, accurate, and he does the little things well. Arm strength is less than ideal but not as bad as advertised.

Woodside is the guy I like late (5th-7th). Love his command of the offense, love how decisive and aggressive he is, and accuracy is a major plus. He's not especially fast, but he's very quick, and he's accurate while taking hits - see the Miami game. He should have been invited to the Senior Bowl (along with Ferguson, who I also like late but expect to go earlier).

Tailgun, lurking, nick1 and 3 others like this.
  30. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

If they bring in Manning it'd be the dumbest move. T-dumb said we were going to build thru the draft and that has been a lie. You don't give away picks when you're building thru the draft. You also don't build by bring a QB that should be about to retire

Ozzy rules!!

31. hoops

hoops exited stage left

I would think the prime candidate for a restructure would be suh.

Pouncey prime candidate for a pay cut but I’m doubting it

If tanny takes a cut it will be cause he wants to do the team a favor coming off missing the entire season but if you ask his agent that answer would be no.

And Miami would have no leverage given how bad the qb play has been this year and neither option is a 2018 plan a consideration

Albert Romano likes this.
  32. zach attach

zach attach A True Fan Donator

I'm not the biggest Tann fan, but he deserves a full season with Gase.
    Keep him and Suh.

33. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

Nothing much to add to this... cutting every player isn't a good idea. Also cutting guys who make nothing on rookie deals... okay?

Anyways, so, <O> is ol shouright? Assumed so but whats the confirmation?

fininpsl and Dolphins512 like this.
  34. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

I don't know why you bother. You are light years above these guys, and their Happy Adjuster subjective biased fluff. In my early years here I debated back and forth. It wasn't close to worth it because nothing of consequence volleyed back, other than additional subjective fluff. Nothing has changed. I got unmercifully ridiculed by one of my most respected friends from Las Vegas last spring when he checked a few threads here, and the caliber of argument.

Let me emphasize it is not restricted to here. This is fan forums in general. If they don't believe in the most relevant categories today, they won't believe in them tomorrow. No minds will be changed. The sports media has done a horrendous job of informing and educating on the most significant variables, so these guys have carried the poor focal points for decades. The next generation will do the same thing. Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone. There are some great contributors here, and no doubt some lurkers who appreciate the real world contributions while rejecting the fluff. I admire you for putting it out there. Just don't expect the responses or appreciation it deserves.

If you want to be popular it's best to whine about officiating every week. Then overreact to the most recent result, in either direction.

Kirk Cousins has great numbers in all the most relevant categories, like yards per attempt and passer rating and adjusted yards per attempt and yards per completion, etc. They are markedly superior to Tannehill across the board. He hasn't had a poor or even average season in any of those categories since becoming a full time starter. His interception rate was very high early in his career while a part timer, but now has dropped significantly to the point it's quite good and superior to Tannehill's numbers.

That's the type of thing <O> is looking at. It is the correct thing to look at, as opposed to flowery adjustment. Far more often than not, <O> will own the superior result. But in a one-time choice it is not a guarantee. The won/loss record is the one area Cousins has not fared well, basically the same as Tannehill.

DOLBET likes this.
  35. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Sorry but when case Keenum is top 3 I’m not entertaining it anymore.

The head coach won’t even commit to him for the rest of the season

36. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Tannehill is 'heavily debated on FH. The IS no debate in the organisation

37. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Have you seen junior's grades ? Moderator Finheaven VIP

Brother Awsi you do realize this is the main forum on basically a fan site right ? Probably not the place for pros only. Instead of shooting down the fans that only come here to root for their teams I have an idea.
    If you guys actually want to get into in depth football discussions I suggest the VIP section which will only cost you $20 a year , a paltry sum for people who must be making good money off their vast football knowledge and superior odds making abilities.

38. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Because the damn tanny tape says there shouldn’t be.

Hell you got people here thinking we may keep cutler and cut tanny.

Despite the rancid qb tape this year. I just don’t get it

39. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

All they talk about on local sports radio is the Cousins deal. Most everyone is railing on the Redskins for drawing this out for three years. They are INEPT in every sense of the word.

40. Dolphins512

Dolphins512 My Friends Call Me Bob Finheaven VIP Donator

LOL.....what a narcissistic post.

Unfortunately, what you fail to grasp is being a fan is about an emotional attachment.......which is an experience you seem to be missing. I don't come here to live and breath QBR every quarter or figure out who uses the right shoe laces and who doesn't.....I could care less. I come here to share the experience with my fellow fin fans....to ***** and complain with people who understand when we lose and to crow and cheer with people who understand when we win. I have opinions....and many of them are based on emotion...not on facts and that is the fun part of being a fan.

If I want to live in analytics, I can do that in my real job. No....when I'm here, I want to talk football with the FH gang, argue, curse, complain about the Patriots and talk about how much we hate the Jets. Am I a "happy adjuster" as you like to call it.....you bet I am and I enjoy every damn minute of it.

I love the way you complain about the posters and site....but here you are, every week, bloviating on your random statistics and putting other people down. No offense, but why don't you just leave?

Sorry my friend, but whether you right or not about Kirk Cousins means absolutely nothing to me. Enjoying the win/loss experience, engaging with the other posters and debating a few issues is what makes this site fun to be a member of.....not listening to you talk about yourself.