so are we ready to shed millions? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

so are we ready to shed millions?

well I am changing it up a bit. Been mediocre for 25 years. Sorry if I want to reward the heart of this offense in Landry. This is not a rebuild project. I have left the core WRs, LBs and Secondary alone. This team lacks personnel in the trenches, that's where the resources have to go.

I think your approach is truly what is called for. However, I would go the further step of allowing Landry to leave as well. I don’t think paying a slot receiver one of the highest wide receiver salaries in the league is the proper way to begin the reestablishment of an optimal team salary structure.

Pay that money instead to Kirk Cousins, who plays the position whose salary should form the cornerstone of any optimal team salary structure.

Kirk cousins is weak no dice. How good has he lead the redskins? I think they have a similar record as us. Great leader

I think your approach is truly what is called for. However, I would go the further step of allowing Landry to leave as well. I don’t think paying a slot receiver one of the highest wide receiver salaries in the league is the proper way to begin the reestablishment of an optimal team salary structure.

Pay that money instead to Kirk Cousins, who plays the position whose salary should form the cornerstone of any optimal team salary structure.
so who plays WR, just Stills?

If Alex Smith could sustain the level of play he's exhibiting this year, which is debatable, he'd be a marked improvement as well.

Alex Smith doesn't have to sustain any level he's already proven he can win. He's 85-62-1 as a started with a 2 to 1 TD to INT ratio and if it wasn't for his first five **** years in San Fran on a terrible team those numbers would be even better.

Sportrac cap space figure for 2018 is based on the salary cap remaining the same as it was in 2017 ($167M), and we know that assumption is not correct. Every year the salary cap goes up. It went up $12M last year, and if it goes up the same this year, we are looking at about $17M of cap space next year before we make cuts.
Maybe you haven't noticed but the popularity of the league is trending down. Attendance is down at games, viewership is down on TV...highly doubt they will increase the cap by any significant amount, if at all, this year. The kneeling for the flag, horrible refs, injuries to key players like Aaron Rodgers...all factors for the popularity of the sport going down.

Maybe you haven't noticed but the popularity of the league is trending down. Attendance is down at games, viewership is down on TV...highly doubt they will increase the cap by any significant amount, if at all, this year. The kneeling for the flag, horrible refs, injuries to key players like Aaron Rodgers...all factors for the popularity of the sport going down.

Not only that, fewer kids are participating in the sport (numbers in youth and high school are down a good amount in my area over the last 8 years and I live in a hotbed of high school and youth football). Less kids have a favorite team and favor players and following their stats as oppose to watching games (fantasy). The next generation of fans are not interested in sitting down and watching games in the same way many current adults did growing up.

Not only that, fewer kids are participating in the sport (numbers in youth and high school are down a good amount in my area over the last 8 years and I live in a hotbed of high school and youth football). Less kids have a favorite team and favor players and following their stats as oppose to watching games (fantasy). The next generation of fans are not interested in sitting down and watching games in the same way many current adults did growing up.
Yeah I think the concussions and CTE issues have caused parents to prevent their kids from playing. In my area Lacrosse is taking off quickly.

Kirk cousins is weak no dice. How good has he lead the redskins? I think they have a similar record as us. Great leader

The best predictor of won-loss record is a team's passer rating differential.

In Cousins' three years as a starter, the Redskins' won-loss records, Cousins' passer ratings, and the Redskins' passer rating differentials have been the following:

2015: 9-7 record, Cousins' passer rating 101.6, passer rating differential 5.9 points
2016: 8-7-1 record, Cousins' passer rating 97.2, passer rating differential 6.3 points
2017: 5-7 record, Cousins' passer rating 99.6, passer rating differential 11.7

The first two of those three years consist of roughly the expected won-loss records. For every 5.65-point advantage in passer rating differential, one win over and above an 8-8 record is expected. In other words, Cousins did his part to help his team have a strong likelihood of achieving a very good record (12-4 give or take a win) during those two seasons, while the Redskins' pass defense was relatively weak and prevented the team from achieving such a record.

In the third of those three years (this year), Cousins has again performed very well passing the ball, and the Redskins' pass defense has performed a good deal better, but Cousins' sack rate has jumped from 4.6% and 3.7% in the first two of those three years, to 7.8%, and he currently leads the league in yardage lost on sacks.

So, with that information in tow, I think it's very difficult to make a "poor leadership" argument sound convincing. It might be true -- who knows, since we aren't in the Redskins' locker room -- but we have enough other convincing information here to make that idea at least highly questionable. We certainly can't say with any certainty that he's "a poor leader," with this other information readily available.

Alex Smith doesn't have to sustain any level he's already proven he can win. He's 85-62-1 as a started with a 2 to 1 TD to INT ratio and if it wasn't for his first five **** years in San Fran on a terrible team those numbers would be even better.

With the level of performance he exhibited on average over every other season of his career but this one, he would very likely achieve a losing record with the Dolphins' current pass defense.

Only with this season's performance on his part would he help the Dolphins, with their current pass defense, achieve an expected record of 8-8.

And that actually represents a very good performance on his part this year, since the Dolphins are very likely to finish 5-11. Smith would very likely be responsible for three to four wins with the current Dolphins.

With the level of performance he exhibited on average over every other season of his career but this one, he would very likely achieve a losing record with the Dolphins' current pass defense.

Only with this season's performance on his part would he help the Dolphins, with their current pass defense, achieve an expected record of 8-8.

And that actually represents a very good performance on his part this year, since the Dolphins are very likely to finish 5-11. Smith would very likely be responsible for three to four wins with the current Dolphins.

Doubt it. His record is 66 and 31 for 21,666 yards, 129 TDs, 43 ints with a 95.9 rating over the past 7 seasons. If you don't think Alex Smith will help this football team your first draft pick in 2018 should be a QB because Ryan Tannehill ain't gonna help either.

so who plays WR, just Stills?

I don't think the team should put the cart before the horse. Get a quarterback and pay him, and then start assembling the surrounding pieces, while matching their salaries to their impact on the current game.

In other words, the optimal team salary structure consists of a salary hierarchy in which there is a strong correlation between the players' individual salary cap hits and the impact on the game associated with the positions they play.

If you're starting "from scratch" here in the way you're suggesting, I don't think you want to have a slot receiver as one of your highest-paid players, when slot receiver doesn't have a corresponding impact on the game.

Now, if you were talking about paying someone like AJ Green, Julio Jones, or Deandre Hopkins that kind of money, then that would make sense, because the impact on the game of players like those is tremendous, and you can go ahead and pay them what they're worth right out of the gate, when reestablishing an optimal team salary structure.

But obviously Jarvis Landry is not one of those players. He sort of seems that way to us, however, only because of his familiarity to us, and because the Dolphins have no receiver of the likes of those noted above.

Doubt it. His record is 66 and 31 for 21,666 yards, 129 TDs, 43 ints with a 95.9 rating over the past 7 seasons. If you don't think Alex Smith will help this football team your first draft pick in 2018 should be a QB because Ryan Tannehill ain't gonna help either.

You responded to only part of what I said.

You responded to only part of what I said.

No I responded to your assertion that he would need to perform at this year's level and this year's level only to help Miami. He could perform at any level of the past seven years of his career and help Miami.

No I responded to your assertion that he would need to perform at this year's level and this year's level only to help Miami. He could perform at any level of the past seven years of his career and help Miami.

Here was the original statement:

Considering only whether he would "help Miami" as you put it neglects to consider a good bit of other information included in that statement.

I'll readily agree that he would help Miami. In fact I stated such above, when I noted that he would've likely contributed three to four wins to this year's team.

Back
Top Bottom