So called draft experts | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So called draft experts

finsnchips

2005 FinHeaven GM League Champion!!
Reaction score
Philip Rivers is, IMO, the third best QB in the draft. Many draft analysts will agree with this; however, they believe he will be available in the second round. With Green Bay likely to draft Favre's understudy, I doubt Rivers will last until round two if he is the third QB taken.

Similarly, Vernon Carey is, IMO, the third best O-lineman in the draft. Again draft analysts will agree; however, they also believe that he will be avilable in the second round. Again, I doubt that he will be there.

Any talk of the fins trading down to take either Rivers or Carey, in reality, is ludacrus.

Originally posted by finsnchips
Philip Rivers is, IMO, the third best QB in the draft. Many draft analysts will agree with this; however, they believe he will be available in the second round. With Green Bay likely to draft Favre's understudy, I doubt Rivers will last until round two if he is the third QB taken.

Similarly, Vernon Carey is, IMO, the third best O-lineman in the draft. Again draft analysts will agree; however, they also believe that he will be avilable in the second round. Again, I doubt that he will be there.

Any talk of the fins trading down to take either Rivers or Carey, in reality, is ludacrus.

We meet again. :lol: I agree with you and that is why the Philly offer hold far less potential.:mad: However if they are the only takers I would still pull the trigger and go WR (Clayton or Williams) with that pick. Perhaps even trade down if neither WR is available.

I'm not convinced - that is of drafting WR, not of Williams or Clayton. This team hasn't had a QB to be excited about for a while. I think the fact that a young QB could come in at some point (probably next year) and have Ricky to hand the ball off to is a good thing.

I'm a big Phil Rivers fan, and think that is the way we should go.

If we have a second first - possibly from philly - despite what everyone may say - i think Clayton will be long gone. Clayton might even be gone by 20.

Rivers, IMO, is the 7th best QB but I know he won't be the 7th taken. He is a second round prospect & will go in the second round unless some team like the Cowboys or us gets cold feet & doesn't want to risk him last that far. Rivers hasn't improved his stock at the Senior Bowl because scouts are leaving with more questions about him than when they came(same with Losman). Green Bay right now is more intent on getting a DE or FS with their first pick.

I don't think Carey will be a first rounder because of his ankles & he just had surgery.

Re: Re: So called draft experts

Originally posted by SMadison29

Rivers, IMO, is the 7th best QB but I know he won't be the 7th taken. He is a second round prospect & will go in the second round unless some team like the Cowboys or us gets cold feet & doesn't want to risk him last that far. Rivers hasn't improved his stock at the Senior Bowl because scouts are leaving with more questions about him than when they came(same with Losman). Green Bay right now is more intent on getting a DE or FS with their first pick.

I don't think Carey will be a first rounder because of his ankles & he just had surgery.

7th best QB :confused:

Okay maybe 5th, but I'd definitely take Ben, Eli, JP, & Pickett over him. Navarre looked horrible today so I'll drop him down. It's a toss up between him & Schaub.

What is it about Rivers that you do not like?

Yeah, he doesn't throw the ball pretty. I mean THAT is what counts didn't you know? 40+ TD's, and a 70% completion rating doesn't mean squat for the kid.

The questions about rivers going into the Senior bowl

1. Strength of arm

2. Mechanics

Marino himself said he would NOT change his mechanics, and was very impressed with his arm.

Guess that answers most of those "questions" that he came in with right?

5th best in the draft? Give me a break.

Actually, I think Marino said he didn't believe you "could" change his release at his age. Of course, Dan is coming from the background of Jackie Sherril (sp?) telling him [paraphrased] "son, don't ever let anyone try to change the way you throw the ball".

Re: Re: So called draft experts

Originally posted by SMadison29

Get off of it SMadison29......you blast Rivers on every post....Chad Pennington was a mid 1st round pick because of questionable arm strength and I bet you sure wish we traded up to pick him now......you were probably one of the ones blasting everyone when they had the Phins possibly picking him in the 1st round. If Dan the Man thinks Rivers is our guy then I trust Dan that this guy is a winner and will be a great pro QB.......I hope we see #17 in a Dolphin uniform next season cause we sure need a good young QB who is a winner, leader, class act and model citizen to get excited about........the lastQB we drafted was Josh Heupal in I think the 5th or 6th round........it's time to invest a high draft pick in the most important position on a football team.....that is why Dan was brought in......if he thinks Rivers is our man than I strongly support that decision 110%!

Originally posted by Agua
Actually, I think Marino said he didn't believe you "could" change his release at his age. Of course, Dan is coming from the background of Jackie Sherril (sp?) telling him [paraphrased] "son, don't ever let anyone try to change the way you throw the ball".

....which proved to be some good advice ;)

As of right now i think Rivers is the 2nd qb i would draft only behind Eli! Big Ben scares me to much he reminds me of Ryan Leaf I hope for his sake he's not! I admit i haven't seen as much of him as I have Rivers and Eli! Watching Rivers at NCST was like watching Dan at pit!!!! I wanted Dan then and would like to draft Rivers now!! Will see! It seems like Rick and Dan like Rivers to!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by mikefan22
As of right now i think Rivers is the 2nd qb i would draft only behind Eli! Big Ben scares me to much he reminds me of Ryan Leaf I hope for his sake he's not!

What reminds you of Leaf? Its not his attitude, hes a great kid, very mature. As far as Leaf at WSU he was a stud, the limelight killed Leaf. Leaf was lazy. I think Ben is the best QB in the draft.

I believe most analysts agree actually that JP Losman is the 3rd best QB in the draft as far as talent goes.

You know what the bottom line with Ryan Leaf was though? Contrary to popular opinion it was not his attitude. Sure he couldn't handle the pressure he received in San Diego. But the bottom line with him was, he CANT PLAY. Thats right, he can't read a defense, comprehend an offense, and play in the NFL. Teams would have forgiven his attitude problems over and over if he could play in the NFL but he could not. And that is why he doesn't play in the NFL anymore.

Look at Jeff George, he had about as bad an attitude as you COULD have for a matter of over a decade I think and if I had to compare JP Losman to someone it would be him. But George lasted in this league, bounced from team to team, because he could PLAY. He could read defenses, comprehend the offense, and throw the ball. Oh could that guy throw the ball too.

If you're worried about JP Losman or Ben Roethlisberger being another Ryan Leaf, then what you should worry about strictly speaking is finding out that these smaller school prospects can't read an NFL defense consistently or comprehend an NFL offense.

Back
Top Bottom