So far, Miami Dolphins are long shot in short-yardage situations | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So far, Miami Dolphins are long shot in short-yardage situations

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
As an NFL team moves deeper into the season, practices tend to have less contact as the increasingly tired players aim to recover for the next game.

After seeing the Miami Dolphins’ recent failings in short-yardage situations, though, offensive coordinator Mike Sherman said he might be forced to reverse this trend, especially when it comes to working on power runs.
“I think it’s a matter of me putting them in those situations in practice, live-contact situations where it’s full-bore,” Sherman said. “It’s a little bit different when it’s full speed and the defense can tackle as opposed to just playing on your feet and reacting to the play on defense.”
In the past two games, Miami has converted just two of its six short-yardage situations on third or fourth downs. In their first three games, the Dolphins were 11 for 16 in those situations.

Yeah this had to get fixed. Not being able to pick up 6 inches on 4th and 1 against Cincy was bad...although I think Lane had something to do with that, his lack of experience in those situations is a factor.

You would think a small nearly invisible back like Miller would be vauable here since our huge highly visible players cant get it done.

You would think a small nearly invisible back like Miller would be vauable here since our huge highly visible players cant get it done.
Meh, I think the FB dive play is the popular option in that situation...I would have preferred a roll out with Tannehill where he has the option to pass or just run for the first but they may be saving that for another time. QB sneak is an option as well...it wasn't like it was a full yard.

QB sneak is an option as well...it wasn't like it was a full yard.

Yes, there was twice that we could have just used the QB sneak. The failed 4th and 1 in the 1st half and the missed 53 yard FG.

I thought the second half one was more crucial and the perfect spot. We had just gained 7+ yards on 3rd and 8. 4th and half yard.

Tom Brady would have rushed the offense back to the line quickly and followed his center for the 1st down. It's pretty hard to get your D set up to stop the sneak after a good completion like that. But RT17 probably doesn't have the go-ahead from the coaches to make a game changing decision like that. Hopefully they will work on it.
The FG attempt was no good so they ended up getting the ball 7 yards closer to our goal then a failed QB sneak attempt. RT17 should be able to follow Pouncey/Jerry for a 1/2 yard.

Back
Top Bottom