So which Oline coaches should we go after? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So which Oline coaches should we go after?

miamirw

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
anybody have the skinny on the good ones out there.

Idk if we're firing the guys we got mid-season. The o line improved once Foerster left.

I would say russ grimm, he was the titans line coach and they had one of the best in the league. He's available I believe with mularkey getting fired

I would say russ grimm, he was the titans line coach and they had one of the best in the league. He's available I believe with mularkey getting fired

He runs a power scheme. Not a ZBS. I like the zbs we've been running much better than the one we ran with Philbin.

It's like a hybrid zbs. Less strech plays. We just have all 5 guys push FW and Drake tippy toe behind it till he finds a gap or an OL whiffs.

We already fired the last coach and promoted another guy to be the OL coach. I'd think that's all we are doing there. You don't promote a guy just to fire him weeks later

I'm not happy about hiring Washburn. Hopefully he will prove me wrong, but if the status quo from Gase's first year is our aim ... we're aiming way too low. Not every coach has their pick of assistants, and Gase may not have many great relationships with strong OL coaches, but our OL has not been good since we stopped playing Incognito. Say whatever you want about the person, but he was a productive football player and we simply haven't replaced him.

While we have gotten some good play out of guys like Branden Albert, Mike Pouncey, Laremy Tunsil and even Ju'Wuan James on occasion, but none of them have produced consistently. Between injuries, lack of dedication, poor technique, and just plain lack of power, our high paid OL have simply not produced even a single season of good play along the offensive line. When a player doesn't perform, that's usually on him. But when the entire unit can't get it done for years on end ... that's coaching. Bringing Washburn back as an OL coach (a promotion from when he was an assistant OL coach here), does not inspire me.

Typically, I'm an optimist ... but the failure to do the right things along the OL is beyond exasperating. We need guards, so they simply try to plug it with a guy who wants to retire and was quite poor anyway (Bushrod) that requires throwing money at just to get one more year out of him. Then they invest very little in FA (Larsen) and only a 5th round draft pick. Those 3 "solutions" show very little concern or investment in our biggest hole on the roster (well it was the 2nd biggest hole behind LB at the start of FA).

It's like cooking in the dark for days at a time and never bothering to even consider turning on the light. It ... just ... makes ... no ... sense ... to ... me.

Back
Top Bottom