Soliai looking forward to facing Mawae | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Soliai looking forward to facing Mawae

FinAtic8480

Active Roster
Reaction score
As if the Miami Dolphins defense didn't have enough run game issues to worry about for Sunday's game, it's not wise to ignore the contributions of Titans center Kevin Mawae, a seven-time Pro Bowl selection.

It's Mawae who orchestrates Tennessee's dominate front line, which has allowed only 12 sacks this season, and paves the way for 165.3 rushing yards per game, which is ranked second in the NFL.

Paul Soliai, who will be starting his fourth game as Jason Ferguson's replacement at nose tackle, openly puts his team's success against Tennessee's running game on his shoulders. He knows the Titans will likely try to exploit his inexperience with Mawae's savvy moves.

"This is my first year starting, and it's his 15th year. He's got a lot of veteran moves. The coaches bring his experience up to me a lot, but it really doesn't matter. A center's a center," said Soliai, who has contributed a career-high 19 tackles, deflected one pass, and forced one fumble this season, his third in the NFL.

"I've been watching film of Mawae and all he does is single block people. I hope he gives me the same [approach]," Soliai said. "If [the opponent] runs the ball well it's my fault, especially if they run it up the middle."

Everyone keeps mentioning CJ and VY, but Mawae scares me. The guy is one at the best at we he does. The good thing he is worn down & is playing with a bad back. This could benefit Soliai. This will be a real good week to judge Soliai as our future NT.

Paul has really done a 180 in my eyes. He was so dissapointing but has really seemed to pull it together this season. I'm sure Ferg has played a big part in that and I think he will be our starter for years to come. They need to get a good backup to spell him but I like the way he is playing right now.

This is a great test for Soliai. He is a big big boy coming into his own. This is a test i will be paying attention to, and i think Soliai is up for it. If he is single blocked, he should have success, and if he can demand a double team that should bode well for our pass rushing ends and LB's. 6'4" 355 what a LOAD!!

That O-LIne is a big reason why the Titans run the ball so well. Solai will be facing one of the best centers in recent history and this will be a massive test for him.

If Mawae can single block Soliai....that's gonna be a problem for the pass rushers...

Mawae has back issues & I dont think anyone has been able to single block Soliai all season. I could see our big boy having a good game especially if he gets going early in the game.

Everyone keeps mentioning CJ and VY, but Mawae scares me. The guy is one at the best at we he does. The good thing he is worn down & is playing with a bad back. This could benefit Soliai. This will be a real good week to judge Soliai as our future NT.

Mawae has a big advantage. He knows all the tricks, plus knows where the ball is going.

The key is what the Fins D coaches and Sparano have planned as a tweak to Soliai's responsibility.

The issue isnt only the Center, the key is the Center plus Johnson. The adjustment will take into consideration Johnsons tendencies as a gash and slash runner vs pure scat back. Johnson is not a cutback runner per se, although he does cut back, he slashes through off tackle and outside runs but is willing to gash through the A gaps.

The key for Soliai is to stand up Mawae, neutralize the influence blocks, resist over pursuing, and hold the middle while protecting only the A gaps.

There is way more to this than Mawae vs Soliai.

If it were a straight up match as in a scrimage etc....Mawae has him hands down. But there are other players and schemes to support Solai's inexperience.

This is a great test for Soliai. He is a big big boy coming into his own. This is a test i will be paying attention to, and i think Soliai is up for it. If he is single blocked, he should have success, and if he can demand a double team that should bode well for our pass rushing ends and LB's. 6'4" 355 what a LOAD!!

Indeed this is a big test -- and probably more in terms of how mentally tough Soliai is (or as it has seemed in the past -- is NOT). If Soliai can put together a full game this time of year against a smart and somewhat "dirty" Mawae, then he's got what we're loookin' for at NT.

Look for Mawae to pull some crap on Paul in order to get in his head. If Paul gets angry and focused then we're in good shape. If he starts hanging his head we're in trouble...

Mawae has a history of playing well and winning against the Dolphins- hopefully that continues this week.

Mawae has a history of playing well and winning against the Dolphins- hopefully that continues this week.

Not if Soliai plays like this.... when he destroyed your center Little Nicky Mangold

[youtube]gQqgJkoeIdU[/youtube]​

Not if Soliai plays like this.... when he destroyed your center Little Nicky Mangold

[youtube]gQqgJkoeIdU[/youtube]​

Little Nicky anchored an OL that was melting through your swiss cheese D, we didn't lose b/c of the O.

True, but thats when the Fins used to play a 4-3 with Zach getting mauled by Mawae.

A much different story when you put a plug infront of Mawae in a 3-4.

Do your research yets boy.

Back
Top Bottom