Soliai looking forward to facing Mawae

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by FinAtic8480, Dec 18, 2009.

1. FinAtic8480

FinAtic8480 A True Fan

Everyone keeps mentioning CJ and VY, but Mawae scares me. The guy is one at the best at we he does. The good thing he is worn down & is playing with a bad back. This could benefit Soliai. This will be a real good week to judge Soliai as our future NT.

2. t_sblack99z28

t_sblack99z28 Rookie

Paul has really done a 180 in my eyes. He was so dissapointing but has really seemed to pull it together this season. I'm sure Ferg has played a big part in that and I think he will be our starter for years to come. They need to get a good backup to spell him but I like the way he is playing right now.

3. RockyMtnPhinfan

RockyMtnPhinfan A True Fan Donator

This is a great test for Soliai. He is a big big boy coming into his own. This is a test i will be paying attention to, and i think Soliai is up for it. If he is single blocked, he should have success, and if he can demand a double team that should bode well for our pass rushing ends and LB's. 6'4" 355 what a LOAD!!

4. emeraldfin

emeraldfin Gary Speed RIP Donator

That O-LIne is a big reason why the Titans run the ball so well. Solai will be facing one of the best centers in recent history and this will be a massive test for him.

5. ArmyFin7

ArmyFin7 U cry about the $$$, we do the dirtywork

If Mawae can single block Soliai....that's gonna be a problem for the pass rushers...

6. FinAtic8480

FinAtic8480 A True Fan

Mawae has back issues & I dont think anyone has been able to single block Soliai all season. I could see our big boy having a good game especially if he gets going early in the game.

7. phinfreak

phinfreak Banned Hammered

Mawae has a big advantage. He knows all the tricks, plus knows where the ball is going.

The key is what the Fins D coaches and Sparano have planned as a tweak to Soliai's responsibility.

The issue isnt only the Center, the key is the Center plus Johnson. The adjustment will take into consideration Johnsons tendencies as a gash and slash runner vs pure scat back. Johnson is not a cutback runner per se, although he does cut back, he slashes through off tackle and outside runs but is willing to gash through the A gaps.

The key for Soliai is to stand up Mawae, neutralize the influence blocks, resist over pursuing, and hold the middle while protecting only the A gaps.

There is way more to this than Mawae vs Soliai.

If it were a straight up match as in a scrimage etc....Mawae has him hands down. But there are other players and schemes to support Solai's inexperience.

8. finner

finner Starter

Indeed this is a big test -- and probably more in terms of how mentally tough Soliai is (or as it has seemed in the past -- is NOT). If Soliai can put together a full game this time of year against a smart and somewhat "dirty" Mawae, then he's got what we're loookin' for at NT.

Look for Mawae to pull some crap on Paul in order to get in his head. If Paul gets angry and focused then we're in good shape. If he starts hanging his head we're in trouble...

9. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

Mawae has a history of playing well and winning against the Dolphins- hopefully that continues this week.

10. Pinkboy

Pinkboy Banned Hammered

Not if Soliai plays like this.... when he destroyed your center Little Nicky Mangold

[youtube]gQqgJkoeIdU[/youtube]​

11. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

Little Nicky anchored an OL that was melting through your swiss cheese D, we didn't lose b/c of the O.

12. finnns2000

finnns2000 A True Fan

Swiss cheese D or not, the better team won both games.

13. phinfreak

phinfreak Banned Hammered

True, but thats when the Fins used to play a 4-3 with Zach getting mauled by Mawae.

A much different story when you put a plug infront of Mawae in a 3-4.

Do your research yets boy.

14. 72champagne

72champagne the annual ritual

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

Why are you making fun of Jason Taylor?

16. 72champagne

72champagne the annual ritual

17. RockyMtnPhinfan

RockyMtnPhinfan A True Fan Donator

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

18. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

Did you say Boo or Boo-urns?

19. wockenbauss

wockenbauss Rookie

Always an excuse....

from a "wet field" (supposedly nefariously plotted out by Don Shula) derailing the Richard Todd *snicker* express....

to "an OL that was melting through your swiss cheese D" but Ted Ginn Jr. running free through the "best special teams coach in the league's" kick return coverage derailing the Von Ryan express this season....

the most appealing feature of having a Pet Jet fan, is the peals of laughter they supply through their fantastic rationalizations.

20. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

Where is there an excuse?

It was cheating not having a tarp in the '82 Title game BUT we both played on the same field and that's not why we lost- a fumble that gastineau recovered that they gave back to you guys on your only offensive TD drive hurt us alot more than the lack of tarp.

21. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

:lol2: :rolleyes2: Wow!!

22. coalesce

coalesce Dolphin Fan since 1974

I was saying Boo-urns.

H. Moleman

23. coalesce

coalesce Dolphin Fan since 1974

That doesn't explain how the Dolphins won all three games that year: the opener at Shea 45-28, the December rematch in Miami 20-19 and the title game.

The one time I was motivated to call Chris Russo on WFAN years ago is when he was going on and on about the tarp (it was slow that Saturday late morning.) Like you, I reminded him that both teams played on the same field and that the Dolphins had beaten the Jets twice that year in ideal conditions.

Michael

24. CedarPhin

CedarPhin Finheaven Hall of Shame Hammered

I can't believe Mawae is still around.

25. jlfin

jlfin old pro

Yeah, about 10 yrs ago. Honestly, until this week I didn't even realize he was still in the league.
    He was cut several yr ago, because he wasn't the same player.
    With his back problems and aging joints, he's going to have his work cut out for him trying to block a 355 lb mammoth

26. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

Obviously you didn't see the game.

I have never used the tarp as the excuse and I brought up that point about beating us twice in the reg season in different arguments as well. I think Shula did it for a reason but the 2 teams played on the same field and we lost. Again, the blown call on the fumble hurt us alot more than the conditions.

Actually he was cut for cap reasons and b/c he was a leader and the new staff wanted to clean house a bit. He's been playing well in Tem since he left, I'm sure he's not the same player but he's still a quality player.

27. greasyObnoxious

greasyObnoxious I love lamp Finheaven VIP Donator

i don't think he has lost much, if anything at all. it's no coincidence Tennesse has been running wild ever since Mawae signed with them.

28. Pinkboy

Pinkboy Banned Hammered

The Dolphins did a good job against Chris Johnson in the running game.. He was held to under 4 yards per carry.

he had no rushes beyond 12 or 13 yards.

If people here were told the Dolphins would hold the NFL's best rusher to under 4 YPC before the game, everyone would have been ecstatic.

29. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

Well the screen is like a run, so that is statistics at its finest. We still managed to do a good job . . . better than most teams this season.

30. Pinkboy

Pinkboy Banned Hammered

The screen is not a run, it's a pass... That's why the dolphins blitzed in that situation, expecting a pass there. And there is a reason why CJ is the leading receiver on their team.. he has more receptions than anyone else on their roster.

The run defense was good.. Our LB's stink in pass coverage and diagnosing things in passing situations. we all know that already.

31. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

Nah no question the screen is a pass . . . but it usually a great screen pass play requires alot of YAC, I just don't want people to forget about that play and think Chris Johnson didn't have more than a 12 yard gain.

32. Pinkboy

Pinkboy Banned Hammered

I said in the "running game" though.

Holding him under 4 YPC is pretty good. Especially the way he has been playing, and against a good run blocking O-line.

He needed 29 rushes to hit 104 yards on the ground.

33. Pinkboy

Pinkboy Banned Hammered

And after the game CJ talked about how disappointed he was with the running game throughout the day.

They ran it on NFLN all night last night.

We definitely did a good job on that front.