[SOLVED] Expectations | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

[SOLVED] Expectations

J

jack

Much has been written here recently about the Dolphin's off-season, and how it is being perceived by us fans.

Though semi-retired now, my years as a management consultant taught me about managing expectations with clients.

Bottom line is that if expectations are not set realistically, then performance may be deemed poor even if it is actually very good.

It is not the Dolphins FO job to set expectations of the fans - it is actually to the FO's advantage that goals and strategies remain unknown by the general public. Expectations seem to be set by all the media news as to what should be accomplished.

We have all heard about Brunell, Ramsey, Garcia, Henson, Rivers, Tait, Woody, etc., all of which won't happen. We lost Wade. WR options, such as Owens, Moss, seem to be non-existent since the draft is where we will get that talent. Names like Feeley, James, and Howard may be quality players, but came out of the blue and were not on many fan's radar screen. Losses like Hendricks will hurt. Fiedler went from being gone to coming back at a significant salary and competing for the starting QB job. Now McIntosh may be lame after other prospects were turned away and may be lost to other teams.

Most agree that QB, OL, and WR are the needs for this off-season.

My expectations, based on all that I could read in the media, took an initial hit during the Wanny, Rick, Dan Marino, Ron Wolf decisions.

During the player FA period my expectations have taken another big hit.

I can only hope that Wayne H. initially, and Rick/Wanny now, know 100 times more about what is going on (and I'm sure that they do) than I do, and I curse the media for making me expect that all of the above mentioned upgrades were within our reach and that many would happen.

Bottom line is that my gut feeling is that there is little to be excited about for 2004 with FA talent running out. Perhaps some enthusiasm will be generated by our upcoming 2004 draftees.

I hope that my concerns turn out to be unfounded and that several players emerge to ignite this team during the 2004 season.

IT IS NOT EVEN APRIL!!!

IT IS NOT EVEN APRIL!!!

IT IS NOT EVEN APRIL!!!

Originally posted by Dol-Fan Dupree
IT IS NOT EVEN APRIL!!!

IT IS NOT EVEN APRIL!!!

IT IS NOT EVEN APRIL!!!

So what!
So what!
So what!

Tell me what you think can realistically happen between now and April that will change the situation significantly. There aren't many impact players left, and I doubt we get any.

Re: Expectations

Originally posted by jack

Bottom line is that my gut feeling is that there is little to be excited about for 2004 with FA talent running out. Perhaps some enthusiasm will be generated by our upcoming 2004 draftees.

I hope that my concerns turn out to be unfounded and that several players emerge to ignite this team during the 2004 season.

I think we have alot to be excited about. We had a down year and still went 10-6. We have several young players that are improving. We have the Draft in front of us with a deep pool of talent. Free Agency still has some players that can step in and play.

I think the ultimate key to our success does not rest on our FA signings, not on our draft. It lies with our current rosters players stepping up and blocking, tackling, catching, and winning in their phase of each play. I believe in this group, both coaches and players. I also think Rick Spielman will prove to be an outstanding GM.

So what!
So what!
So what!

Tell me what you think can realistically happen between now and April that will change the situation significantly. There aren't many impact players left, and I doubt we get any.
The draft;) but I see your point..don't worry, you guys will be more than happy with another 10-6 record, just for the sake of having a winning record...then we can all talk about how close the fins are to getting over the top again...

So what!
So what!
So what!

what does it matter about what happens between now and april. The season DOESN'T START IN APRIL!!!!!!!!!!!! The season doesn't start in MAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The season doesn't start in JUNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The season doesn't start in JULY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the season doesn't start in AUGUST!!!!!!!!!!!!

It does start in september. Then I will waste my time being worried.

damn, thats so far away, thanks for making me depressed...
When's madden 2005 coming out :)

I am also trying to be patient, but there are not lots of RTs out there worth a darn more than a Greg Jerman. I will OK with our moves if we can get a decent RT

Originally posted by Dolphins17-0
damn, thats so far away, thanks for making me depressed...
When's madden 2005 coming out :)

Late august!!! now thats depressing.:cry:

Re: Expectations

Much has been written here recently about the Dolphin's off-season, and how it is being perceived by us fans.

Though semi-retired now, my years as a management consultant taught me about managing expectations with clients.

Bottom line is that if expectations are not set realistically, then performance may be deemed poor even if it is actually very good.

It is not the Dolphins FO job to set expectations of the fans - it is actually to the FO's advantage that goals and strategies remain unknown by the general public. Expectations seem to be set by all the media news as to what should be accomplished.

We have all heard about Brunell, Ramsey, Garcia, Henson, Rivers, Tait, Woody, etc., all of which won't happen. We lost Wade. WR options, such as Owens, Moss, seem to be non-existent since the draft is where we will get that talent. Names like Feeley, James, and Howard may be quality players, but came out of the blue and were not on many fan's radar screen. Losses like Hendricks will hurt. Fiedler went from being gone to coming back at a significant salary and competing for the starting QB job. Now McIntosh may be lame after other prospects were turned away and may be lost to other teams.

Most agree that QB, OL, and WR are the needs for this off-season.

My expectations, based on all that I could read in the media, took an initial hit during the Wanny, Rick, Dan Marino, Ron Wolf decisions.

During the player FA period my expectations have taken another big hit.

I can only hope that Wayne H. initially, and Rick/Wanny now, know 100 times more about what is going on (and I'm sure that they do) than I do, and I curse the media for making me expect that all of the above mentioned upgrades were within our reach and that many would happen.

very well said!

hmm... let's see

So what!
So what!
So what!

There's still june first, which brings your second round of unexpected cuts and Free agents. We happen to have a glut of DE's and we could possibly sign Ogun to a long term deal and them trade him straight up for a RT. Then there's thething called the draft.

We realistically couldn't afford Brian Griese or better yet junior Seau last year. who know's what gonna happen.

I think we have done fairly well up to date, we cleared cap room, got a good young guard in Jeno James, didn't waste money on Woody coming back from injury and hauled in way to much money for a guard, I would have liked to have Tait, but he is on the other side of 30 and would have cost to much also, Texans overpaid for wade, MacIntosh may pan out, if he does we are in great shape, if not, it was a costly mistake, I will take a wait and see approach on this. If we can make the trade for Boston(could be just media hype though), we got our big name guy at Wr. Picked up a good starting corner to play nickel, plus a good special team player. There is still some good players out there to get still and we still have money to spend.

Originally posted by Dol-Fan Dupree

what does it matter about what happens between now and april. The season DOESN'T START IN APRIL!!!!!!!!!!!! The season doesn't start in MAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The season doesn't start in JUNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The season doesn't start in JULY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the season doesn't start in AUGUST!!!!!!!!!!!!

It does start in september. Then I will waste my time being worried.

1. YOU are the one that said "Its not even April" three times.

2. YOU seem to be "wasting your time" right now talking about this rather than waiting until September.

3. Since you challenge my concern, I welcome you to post all your reasons for optimism - I welcome anything that will help me feel positive about our decisions since the end of the 2003 season.

Back
Top Bottom