Solving the NFL’s kick-off Problem | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Solving the NFL’s kick-off Problem

Perfect72

It's Only Happened ONCE!
Reaction score
Anybody like this idea? I like the traditional kickoff's; but the now PC NFL seems to want them eliminated altogether. Any realistic suggestions?

Here's part of an article on the subject:

The NFL has a problem. They want to eliminate all kick-offs from the game. They can’t. Not yet. But soon enough they will. The challenge for them? On-side kicks.

The on-side kick is a vital part to NFL games. Nothing is more exciting or nerve racking than a team lining up three points down or seven points down and needing the ball back with time expiring. They line up, they kick off, and then pandemonium ensues.

In 2015 there were 66 on-side kick attempts according toSportingCharts.com. Of those attempts only nine were actually successful. In 2014, 56 were attempted with only nine successful. The NFL can’t simply eliminate the kick-offs because it would take away the opportunity to attempt to get the ball back late in the game to potentially pull off a stunning come from behind win.

But what if they could have both? The thrill of an on-side kick, the elmination of the kick-off, and still keep the potential for an onside kick hidden?
My suggestion involves one simple change to the NFL rules. Eliminate the return and give the kicking team a chance to earn more points.

So here is the thought process behind this. A team scores a touchdown and elects to kick the extra point from the 15 yard line. They then line up in kicking formation to start the next drive for the opposing team. In reality, they have two options. Kick an on-side kick or kick another extra point.

The NFL could award teams another point for kick-offs that go through the goal posts. If the team misses, the ball is placed at the 20 yard line and the receiving team simply takes over as if it were a simple touchback. If a team elects to kick an on-side kick the ball must travel 10 yards as it does now.

The simplicity of this single change would eliminate the kick-off return but would still provide teams with an option for an onside kick. Teams would line up the same way they do now for an onside kick and the receiving team would still have the players on the field to defend it. The only difference is if the ball is kicked to the endzone, all play stops.

More at: http://phinphanatic.com/2016/06/03/solving-the-nfls-kick-off-problem/

Your thoughts? :ponder:

Too complicated. How about after a score, you elect to give the ball to other team at their own 25 or try an onside kick?

I like Royal Shank's idea better. Personally I don't think deception is a huge part of the onside kick in terms of teams faking a regular kickoff.

Heck if we're going to change the game just go with the team that scores a td gets to start the next drive at it's 25. Make it so that the other team doesn't get the ball until they stop the other team. Why reward a team by giving them the ball for giving up a touchdown. A team with a pounding ground game could control the ball for the entire fourth quarter if the other team can't stop them. Remember street basketball where the team that scores get's the ball at the top of the key and the good teams might win 15-0 with the other team never getting the ball. Teams would also be more likely to go for it on fourth down.

I would just keep the game as is, but if we're going to make changes lets go wild.

Back
Top Bottom