Some Draft Thoughts After Looking at Some Early Mock Drafts

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by circumstances, Jan 1, 2018.

1. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Allen has good feet too they just need to be cleaned up base can get a little wide at the top of his drop can also cross over in his drop feet which I don’t like take shorter quicker choppy steps in your drop keep your feet under you and point your shoulders to your target either going thru progressions on the pivot or at the top of the drop.

Used on the zone read a lot in college isn’t slow or a poor athlete by any means and provided his mechanics are good can make any throw you want to dial up.

On tbe boot or roll out again square your shoulders to your target don’t just rely on that arm.

His feel for pressure needs work I’d hope that would develop in time

There’s a couple throws on this tape it reminds me of Marino in terms of flowing stopping and ripping a ball dead on into the middle of the field with basically zero effort. Like a natural gun slinger flick

2. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Malik Jefferson when he fires that gun man he’s explosive. There’s something very odd about this kid looks like he has one of those oversized heads on that mascots wear or something. Looks unnatural with his movement skills. Very odd like he has no flexibility in the neck. He changes direction and his head never moves

I don’t know where I got weakside I’m not sure what he is but I wouldn’t project weakside. Maybe strong side given the size don’t much like the instincts for mike

Has nickel range though that’s for sure when he decides to run. Something’s off putting though

There’s a safety on this Texas tape that I find very interesting looks like a pretty ideal free safety also looks like it’s gonna be a top 50 pick

I’m not kidding you Jefferson looks like he’s running around with a horse head on or something.

3. Lovethefish

Lovethefish Well-Known Member

He throws deep out on a line very reminiscent of Marino. Seems like the ball travels at around 12 ft height no loft - pure darts. Love the size.
    Hard to pass on a kid with this kind of an arm. Tough call.

Michael Scott and hoops like this.
  4. hoops

hoops exited stage left

That’s what it is exactly. The deep on a line marinoesque. Effortless.

The hype coming out of the senior bowl is gonna be thru the roof here

5. hoops

hoops exited stage left

I haven’t gotten your take on mayfield yet. How bout it?

6. Lovethefish

Yep. They will throw away the rating and record.. will fall in love with size and cannon.
    Top 10 no doubt.

hoops likes this.
  7. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

Allen would be a dream..in the 2nd or 3rd..

Can't use a 1st on that guy..just can't.

8. Lovethefish

Here's my take on probably the two post polarizing players in this draft Lamar Jackson - IMO he isn't enough of a pocket passer to make it in the league with his frame. His shoulders and upper body seem on thin side. I personally don't like him before RD3.

Baker Mayfield. I think he has some it factor to him. It may come down to hand size for me. I personally don't like him. Evaise of his antics. I don't want or need my QB strutting up and down sidelines like some crazed kick boxing gymnast. No he isn't Jonny Manziel off the field. But there have been some concerns. Does the $$$ make it worse idk.
    I'm undecided still.

rickd13 and hoops like this.
  9. Lovethefish

Will say this about Malik Jefferson- not sure what he does better than R Smith. Watched the Texas Oklahoma game and wasn't impressed.

10. hoops

hoops exited stage left

I watched the usc game. First 5 plays it didn’t even look like he wanted to be there. Doesn’t have the feel for the position that I look for. Looks unnatural. Looked best attacking the los that’s when you get to see the explosive heat seek missile in him.

But just something tells me stay away. Let someone else risk it

At lb feel for the position is a big deal and his looks forced. Not natural

Lovethefish likes this.
  11. Lovethefish

Back to Mayfield, he is intriguing.
    But if I'm Miami, my plan is to build this team around RT17 Suh Wake Jones etc. 2 year plan- give it your best shot - make a run and see where we end up.
    If we fall flat, blow it up and go from there. Fix the LBs

Michael Scott and lurking like this.
  12. Lovethefish

I believe this is reason they used him as blitz LB on high percentage of plays.

hoops likes this.
  13. hoops

hoops exited stage left

I agree that mayfield has some of that it factor but I’m a believer in meeting certain standards to validate picks and 6 foot and change if that’s what he turns out to be and 4.7’s from a spread college system not even a pro style one top 12 are never gonna add up.

Maybe that makes me old school but so be it.

rickd13 likes this.
  14. hoops

hoops exited stage left

That makes sense based on what I see

15. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

Probably DeShone Elliot, j-off has been talking about him for a little while. Says he's one of the best free safeties this year

16. hoops

hoops exited stage left

I like his feet. Twitchy good looking player undersized for our scheme id say unless they green lighted the true free safety

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    j-off-her-doll likes this.
  17. BobDole

BobDole Suck it Trebek

Hill is damn good too. I watched Texas this year for Jefferson and ending up liking those two in the secondary a lot. Elliot has a natural feel for FS. He's not reactionary. He's instinctual. Will be watching both of their combines closely. Was hoping they'd fly under the radar and somehow get to us in the 2nd but I don't see 50 better players.

I agree Jefferson doesn't project great to Mike but if you're drafting that to play a dying position at strong at 11 ... you crazy. Weak side & nickel or else. I'm not sold on him either. I think he'll test real well and there's not a good chance he'll get to the 2nd with this weak LB class.

Michael Scott likes this.
  18. hoops

hoops exited stage left

He wouldn’t be a consideration for me at 11. I think I would just take Jefferson off my board let someone else use a day 2 pick there

It doesn’t look tbe part for me as an off the los lb for me so I pass

Lovethefish and BobDole like this.
  19. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

I can't see us taking Elliot, or any other safety high, IF we go James at 11.

Lovethefish likes this.
  20. Lovethefish

Given the value of the position though- I can see Jets- Cards maybe Bengals taking a shot.

21. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

Hilton Hill - CB - Texas, gotta watch him. Too much off field stuff. I’d make sure I’m not drafting “Cheech and Chong” with this kid. He’s got a world of talent, but man does he scare the bejesus outta me. He’s got a chance to drop big time in the Draft. Tell him to put down the rope-a-dope!!!

22. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

That's DeShon Elliott - my early favorite for S1, because he plays the pass (imo) better than James. Elliott reminds me a little of Harrison Smith, because he's also outstanding in the box - covering TE's, stopping the run around the LOS (8.5 TFL in 2017 to go wit his 6 INT's and 9 PBU's). I think James is a better athlete, but Elliott has those FS instincts that you covet. I just need to see him run in the 4.5's.

23. j-off-her-doll

Missed this - good call. He's def my FS1.

24. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

You either take a QB....the stud guard Q. Nelson...or R. Smith LB Georgia.

25. hoops

hoops exited stage left

They got that kid Elliott listed at 6 foot 2 and 210.

Bigger than I thought. At that size top 50 probably doesn’t do him justice

I figured he might be 6 foot 1 and 195 to 200

26. JFoxx

JFoxx Seasoned Veteran

Every year we see the FO plug perceived holes with the best available at those need positions and not the person who instantly is a play-maker on O or D. Meanwhile we watch these other franchises use this philosophy and either turn their team around in a short period of time or continue to put out playoff teams year in/out. Look at our first round draft picks over the last 8-10 years and you find projects, potential stars someday and a few good, but not great picks. I don't remember the last "game-changer" we drafted in decades. You would think this was an obvious thing, but then why do we keep doing the same thing year in and out? I don't care if its not as big of a need as another spot, if there is a TRUE day1 play-maker, draft that guy!!!

27. hoops

hoops exited stage left

where do we go to take a look at this vander esch kid? I cant find anything on him...I'm not happy with the off the los top 50 options right now envisioning guys going off real fast if there's no quality day 2 depth there

I'm really starting to think that tremaine Edmunds goes in front of roquan smith

28. Lovethefish

We need a top 45 Board gets us into RD 1 & 2. The 2nd Rd pick is just as important and should be projected starter/ 40-50 snap guy depending on position.

Albert Romano likes this.
  29. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

Ferrell, Wilkins and Bryant may stay at Clemson next year..

Thank you college football gods.

30. Lovethefish

J: Haven't had chance to look at him- how does he compare to last years guys like Hooker or Marcus Williams Eddie Jackson ?

j-off-her-doll likes this.
  31. hoops

hoops exited stage left

ha I haven't done anything like that in years don't plan to again either...sounds like a great job for you...I'm just gonna take a look at specific position groups where I think Miami is likely to make priority adds so I get a general idea of where a guy would grade out relative to what I'd expect a guy in any class to look like or meet the standards of...etc

Lovethefish likes this.
  32. j-off-her-doll

Doesn't have Hooker's range, but that's true of 99% of FS's, and he's more consistent in his reads and tackling than Hooker was. Better player than Williams, but he's probably not as athletic (not a big deal for the position). He hits much harder and makes more plays around the LOS than either.

Lovethefish likes this.
  33. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran Finheaven VIP

This makes so much sense. I hope Harris develops, but you just don't know. Miami doesn't want to get caught without a pass rush. Davenport could be in play.

Also, wouldn't surprise me if team traded up for Chubbs.

BobDole likes this.
  34. Michael Scott

Michael Scott A True Fan

Welp, time to load up for #Storm19, Mark Richt.... Next stop.... Orange Bowl again.

35. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Elliott needs to be our 2nd pick if he lasts

36. j-off-her-doll

Included the Luke Falk cut-up in case you didn't want to FF through the Washington St. game (will obviously be missing his plays vs the run, though). Tremaine Edmunds will be the youngest player in the draft, I believe, and he's already very good. It will be interesting to see how the process plays out, but it's a good year at the top for LB's.

Ben Had likes this.
  37. j-off-her-doll

Sad to say that the condensed Boise St vs Oregon game has cut out plays. Here's the full game.

Ben Had likes this.
  38. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP

Ben Had likes this.
  39. hoops

hoops exited stage left

I found like 5 cut ups of Vander esch on youtube makes it easier than trying to go through entire games on a phone.

I’d like to do better than that at 42 frankly but I might not be able to do cause it looks like one of those picks where it’s about what he’s gonna be in 2 years. If I made that pick it would be with where is he 2 years from now reasoning.

I’m not afraid to project like that heck that’s why I wanted taco charlton at 22 envisioning 2 years from now but I see this kids lb instincts right now as very average I think the athlete is slightly better than the lb play if the option is this long limbed thin torso kid or tremaine Edmunds I choose Edmunds every time.

Both have upside both have what I’d call work in progress instincts at lb and Edmunds poa play at 19 blows my mind frankly.

This kid Vander is a little tall for me at mike I’d probably be more into it right now if he was better at the poa and at the second level getting off blocks

That grade for me probably would fall 50 to 75 most classes again with an eye on 2 years from now validating more the 50 side

I always worry about guys being able to develop instincts at the pro level. It’s just rare that it happens.

If this was last year and the option was this kid or Zach Cunningham in the same pick range without a doubt I would choose the latter

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  40. FSU Truth

FSU Truth The North Remembers Finheaven VIP