Some interesting Tannehill stats from last season

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Nawledge, Jul 16, 2017 at 4:00 PM.

1. Nawledge

Nawledge Scout Team

According to Pro Football Focus, Tannehill targeted defensive linemen in coverage on 6.6 percent of his pass attempts, the second-most in the league after Baltimore’s Joe Flacco.

Despite a reputation for having a poor long ball, Tannehill completed 61 percent of his passes that were in the air for more than 20 yards, the NFL’s second-best mark, Deep Ball Project notes.

Also, his 64 percent completion mark for plays of 16 or more yards was the league’s fourth-best. Nine of his 19 touchdown passes went for this yardage.

Moreover, Tannehill threw a touchdown on 17 percent of his deep pass attempts, the NFL’s best mark.

http://mia.247sports.com/Bolt/Ryan-Tannehill-moves-closer-to-NFLs-elite-75055632

2. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

Nice numbers. There's been a vast improvement in his deep game. I think a lot of it is having more talent at wide receiver (Stills over Wallace, plus Parker) and the quarterback guru in Adam Gase working with him.

I like the improvement in his footwork as well. I think Ryan Tannehill is close to his ceiling, but could make some more leaps under Gase.

3. royalshank

royalshank Scout Team Finheaven VIP Donator

Nice. Were all 9 of those 19 to Stills? Crazy. The best one was the toss against the Chargers.

4. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

if being close to his ceiling involves going 7-1 over his last half season and putting up Top10 if not Top8 QB performance, I don't think anyone could ask for too much more

fins1, fishfanmiami, Czonka39 and 2 others like this.
  5. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater Optimist Homer Finheaven VIP

Chics dig the long ball.

We should have known Tannehill was a deep ball master the minute we saw his wife back in 2012

6. artdnj

artdnj Time is Now Finheaven VIP

He is improving since we finally got a coaching staff that is competent.

Tanny was screwed his first few years here and we are seeing what he can do.

I can't wait to see what he will do this year but i am ecstatic about his upside and growth.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 8:15 PM
    Dolphins512 likes this.
  7. russianbear

russianbear A True Fan

8. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

He's always thrown a good deep ball. He was among the leaders in deep ball percentage as a rookie...the issue came when we started signing scrubs at WR...like Mike Wallace...and then everyone complained that Tannehill was the issue, cause Wallace was so awesome in Pittsburgh. Which was false, it was more like people only paid attention to the highlights of Wallace catching deep balls from Roethlisberger who threw a lot more deep passes than the average QB. Pittsburgh fans knew Wallace had concentration issues and the occasional lack of effort.

Travis34 and Sons Of Shula like this.
  9. Atila

Atila Atila - the freshmaker. Finheaven VIP

He has notably improved some aspect of his game every single year since being drafted. In 2015, considered a "down" year for him, we saw his deep ball improve dramatically. It was already getting better before last season, but most people don't notice things like that unless there are 100 stats about it shoved down their throat.

Travis34 likes this.
  10. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

The way he was moving around the pocket, second half of the season, reminded me a little of Aaron Rogers. I'm not comparing his game to Rogers, but we all know that Ryan Tannehill is athletic.

It always surprised me how many sacks he took, many of which came down to the fact that Tannehill didn't move much in the pocket. I think that's something to really watch this year. We might begin to see more big plays come from Tannehill buying second and third chances.

11. next-year

next-year MostHated

I don 't understand why it's so hard to admit that he did not throw an accurate deep ball his first couple years in the league. He has gotten much better at it and it's awesome to see his game continuously being refined year after year. Coming out of college it was blatantly obvious his deep ball needed a lot of work. The same logic you used as to why Tannehill has always been a good deep thrower was used when we acquired Mike Wallace and people refused to believe his hands sucked because he had a super low drop rate the season prior. Stats are important but ultimately don't tell the whole story.

12. Atila

Atila Atila - the freshmaker. Finheaven VIP

Last phase left to refine! Is pocket awareness and mobility is definitely his biggest weakness but he's been improving every other aspect every season so hopefully he clears this last hurdle to become a top quarterback.

SF Dolphin Fan and artdnj like this.
  13. Dolphins512

Dolphins512 My Friends Call Me Bob Finheaven VIP Donator

I think the damage that the prior coaching staff did to RT will take a couple of years to be completely wiped away, so I see more upside this year.

The guy is solid

artdnj likes this.
  14. Digital

Digital Starter

I think the emphasis on the longer passes was the biggest breakthrough for our offense this past season. It helps open up run lanes when we can take those shots deep and make them count. This year if the early indications are true, we'll have DeVante Parker living up to his skill level and possibly add a seam threat in Julius Thomas if he can stay healthy.

This should really open up the long throws or force defenses to give us more room underneath. Either way, it should help the passing game, and the deeper coverages should help the run game as well.

15. Sons Of Shula

Sons Of Shula not a dull boy Finheaven VIP Donator

Gase's conceptually based offense has the progressions begin with the vertical routes and flow downward in a left-right or right-left manner. Lazor's progressions were mostly primary reads on low to mid-level mesh routes which left the QB chasing the vertical route should those happen to be covered.

A QB (or any player for that matter) is going to play according to how they are coached. It wasn't even necessarily that deep throws were emphasized playcall-wise but rather a result of Gase's high-low progression reads that yielded a better YPA. It's why I have always been a proponent that YPA is not a QB stat but instead an outcome from the offensive system.

16. royalshank

royalshank Scout Team Finheaven VIP Donator

i agree w this. He seems to have improved dramatically in this area. Though, to be fair, who could throw a deep ball to Brian Tartline, Devon Bess or Gibson (forgot his first name)?

17. LoneStarPhin

LoneStarPhin Well-Known Member

probably because we dont agree with that. most his long ball "problems" were lack of time from OL, and inconsistent WRs who a lot of us KNEW he didnt trust.

theres a difference between RT not completing a large % of deep passes and RT not being able to throw a good deep ball.

a BIG difference!

18. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

I guess for the same reason it's so hard for you to admit he threw a good deep ball his rookie season until we signed Wallace to be his deep ball go to guy.

19. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

uhhhh

1 dol fan likes this.
  20. next-year

next-year MostHated

He didn't, if you look at his deep ball trajectory / placement it was wildly inconsistent his first couple years. This past year his deep ball was much more consistent and accurate than it had ever been in his career. It's okay to admit a guy who only played 18 games in college wasn't great at something right off the bat. The guy RARELY went deep in college.

To your point, he completed wayyyy more deep balls with Wallace on the team than he ever had without him.

21. C l u t c H 385

C l u t c H 385 Well-Known Member

By "in the air for 20 or more yards" do they mean in the air for 20 or more yards or 20 yards downfield from the LOS?

22. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

From an old man's memory, it seems I read long pass completion % to Wallace (1st yr) was ~30%. To all other receivers, 40-45%.

23. dolphintodd

dolphintodd FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I don't think many people are arguing Tannehill does not have the physical ability. 64% completion rate is great but does he take enough chances down the field when we need it? So he ranked 4th in completion %, what was his rank on # of attempts?

24. Sons Of Shula

Sons Of Shula not a dull boy Finheaven VIP Donator

See post #15

25. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

Article from May of 2016.

http://presnapreads.com/2016/03/24/the-mike-wallace-effect-deep-ball-accuracy-and-ryan-tannehill/

Article written in August of 2015 showing the perfectly placed deep ball passes that were dropped by Dolphin receivers...not just Wallace who dropped a lot of perfectly thrown passes.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/142017354/ryan-tannehill-training-camp-reviews-true

lurking likes this.