Source-Dolphins active in meetings with free agent receivers at combine.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by elite14eva, Mar 2, 2013.

1. elite14eva

elite14eva Yashu Mane!!! Donator

2. insomnia411

insomnia411 The world is yours

Mike Wallace

3. The Tannehills Have Eyes

The Tannehills Have Eyes A True Fan

4. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Playoffs Moderator Finheaven VIP

Start at the top of the list and work your way down. Hopefully we won't have to look that far and get a deal done soon.

5. PSU Cane

PSU Cane Starter

I'm not sold on Wallace. Quite frankly, i'm not sold on any FA WR this year. They all have serious shortfalls for the money they are asking.

6. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

The more I think of it, the more insane it sounds to give Wallace $12 million per season.

7. kitt23

kitt23 Starter

i like wallace i just dont think hes a 12mil a year type wr.

8. Digital

Digital Starter

Ideally we would bring in Greg Jennings, resign Brian Hartline, draft Cordarrelle Patterson and Ryan Swope. That would give us 3 guys who instantly work in our system and a deep threat with great potential. We would have a veteran to lead the locker room and help the draftees develop. We would have players who fit into Philbin's and Sherman's system and cause no drama off the field. We would have a good distribution of ages with Jennings as the elder statesman, Hartline and Bess as the young veterans, Matthews, Patterson and Swope as the youngsters. We would have depth at the X (Patterson, Jennings, Matthews), Y (Hartline, Matthews, Swope), and slot (Jennings, Swope, Bess) and a strong 6 receiver corps that could withstand injuries and legitimately go 5 wide.

In a perfect world we would find a way to draft Tyler Eifert as well to give us a deep seam threat and red zone mismatch TE. It would also make the 2 TE formation viable as well.

Yeah, Mike Wallace would be great too, but I'm not convinced Miami will pay his price. I think Jennings has delusions of 12M+ per year, but nobody is going to pay that price, so if Green Bay doesn't Franchise him, we might win that price war.

9. Fin Fan in Cali

Fin Fan in Cali Joanne Shaw Taylor Super Donator

Bro Jennings wants 12 mil a year.

10. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

I would rather give Jake Long 3 years @ 30 M and draft 3 new receivers. If Ireland wants to, he could draft WR's with the first 3 picks and the problem is solved. No need sign other teams guys.

11. iambanned

iambanned A True Fan

You either get Wallace or Jennings or Tannehill is gonna wear handcuffs for at least another 12 games until your rookies develop. Look at Justin Blackmon. He was useless for 10 games.

12. PSU Cane

PSU Cane Starter

Who says he won't even if we get one of those guys? It's not like either of them really lit it up last year.

13. Twitches Brew

Twitches Brew A True Fan

I'd be very happy if we just grabbed Domenik Hixon. I do think we have a shot given the Giants cap situation, especially with their WRs - though they did just sign Will Beatty for 7.5mil (19 guaranteed) which is outstanding (I guess this is how they win superbowls, making out great with their own FAs who are entering their primes). But anyway, Hixon has sneaky deep speed, is a very good special teamer, can play outside or in the slot. Had he been given more chances, I think he would've had a very nice year. Them drafting Rueben Randle in the 2nd will be Hixon's ticket out, I would think. Or maybe Devery Henderson, who has always averaged >14yds/catch.

14. Miamibyrd

Miamibyrd Well-Known Member

Hard to gauge a rookies performance before they hit the field, I think. Almost like Ted Ginn Jr. When the fins picked him early. At Ohio State he was a beast....but that's the gamble all teams take.

15. Fin_Frenzy_84

Fin_Frenzy_84 Starter

I would be happy with Wallace but at the same time I would be just as happy with just drafting two or three receivers early and using our money on other needs like Corner, Line, Pass Rusher

16. TruePoizon

TruePoizon Well-Known Member

honestly, id rather throw the money at Victor Cruz and Danny Amendola.

but thats just me.

17. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

hE ALWAYS HAD PROBLEMS WITH RED ZONE PRODUCTION

18. Birdmond

Birdmond FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

He scored more touchdowns than Cordarelle Patterson did in college.

19. dcnr226

dcnr226 A True Fan Donator

Mike Wallace has been a top 5 receiver in the league since he entered the league.. Why are people making a case against him?? It's beyond me. Always going to overpay in free agency? Of course. That is the nature of the beast.

Mike Wallace makes every other player on the field better gives Tannahill more separation for every receiver and when Tannehill scrambles, Wallace can take it to the house at any point. We have cap space..get a guy that scares opposing D's and is ONLY 26 years old.

20. dcnr226

Correct...and Blackmon was much more polished and prolific in college than Patterson. If Patterson is the truth, it will take him a year or 2 to realize his potential...I see his career ceiling being Torrey Smith, who also took a while to develop...time that Ireland doesn't have

21. ITS!MATEO

ITS!MATEO A True Fan

^^ This would be my ideal offseason moves on offense.

22. NRA

NRA Roll Gypsy Roll

new england and san fran want him.

so, why would he come here exactly?

wallace isnt coming here. i am saying san fran as they will dump moss and pay him. billicheck wont.

but, if NO ONE comes up with his asking price, then whatever team between sf and ne gets closest is where he will go.

23. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

he will go to the highest bidder

24. dcnr226

Moss was playing for peanuts, Wallace won't be. They have alot of talent they need to resign over the next couple of years, giving a WR 12+ million is dicey.

Then again if they paired Mike Wallace with Michael Crabtree, with Kaepernick's cannon of an arm..yikes.

25. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

Well, if we are not signing any of our guys, throwing money at a guy for one player is not unheard of. Wish Brian Hartline were getting signed. Dont think BB has his eyes on him? He is half the price.

26. LDaniel7

LDaniel7 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

The people that balk at paying Wallace 12 mill per year are probably the same people that had no problem paying a LT more than that.

Sorry people. In today's NFL, if your highest paid player is on the OL and not at a skill position, you aren't much.

And, if your starting WRs are called mediocre, slow and roster fodder -- and you are high on such WRs -- chances are, your team ain't much.

Please. Welcome to the NFL today.

Get real skill at skill positions.

LD

27. Fin_Frenzy_84

Fin_Frenzy_84 Starter

Yep, he is all about the money

28. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

We need to sign all of our FA guys except for Smith who is not worth what he is asking. This team was very close with these players. The continuity must continue.
    Draft 3 WR's in the first 3 rounds, a CB and DE, and sign a veteran TE like Finley.
    Mike Wallace will not be coming here, and the other guys like Jennings are just above average system guys and not worth what they are asking

29. islandah

islandah FinHeaven VIP

So do I, doesn't mean I'm getting it either.

Got to get a top wr in free agency. Some positions you can draft and expect immediate impact (RB, pass rusher). WR isn't one of them. Spend the money and get a proven performer. Then draft 1 or 2 in the 2nd/3rd rounds for youth and development.

Veteran CB also a must in free agency. Still will need to draft another.

I'd use our #12 pick on a dominant DE pass rusher - you will get the most immediate impact from him, plus with him and Wake chasing the qb around, a killer pass rush can make up for inadequacies in the secondary.

Then we need a TE and OT, either in FA or draft.
    Everything else, BPA for depth.

30. Krush

Krush Finaholic Donator

I'm just pondering a thought, if everything is even as far as money between the bidders for Wallace's services, I think the fins have an advantage, not the women and not the beach but how about the weather, Wallace came from Mississippi and their climate is sort of like Miami isn't it?

31. JTech194

JTech194 Starter

The problem may be solved 2-3 years from now but expecting 3 rookie WR to come in next year and produce is not realistic.