Sparano: Dolphins will have run-first offense 'because that's my nature'

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by BAMAPHIN 22, Mar 23, 2011.

1. BAMAPHIN 22

BAMAPHIN 22 FinHeaven Elite

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...-owners-meeting-0323-20110318,0,2209654.story

2. Romy148

Romy148 Well-Known Member

Yayyyy!!!

3. beanh8er

beanh8er A True Fan Donator

I don't have a problem with this as long as we score an win.

4. TrinidadDolfan

TrinidadDolfan 1st Team All-Pro

Sparano: Dolphins will have run-first offense 'because that's my nature'

No. I think what Sparano meant to say was:

"Dolphins will have a run-first offense because "I have no imagination, am boring and content with running on 3rd and long in the 4th quarter when down by 21 points""

At least us fans will be well rested...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. SCOTTY

SCOTTY Well-Known Member

Did we have a run first offense last year when Thigpen played??

6. ROADRUNNER

ROADRUNNER FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

7. Built2Win

Built2Win A True Fan

A little bit more vertical?

does he mean more than 1 deep pass a game like last year?

how about at least one deep ball a series buddy!

8. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Yeah Tony great. The owner needs to put azzes in the seats with some excitement, asks for a more explosive offense and you're essentially telling him based on your impressive accomplishments that he should eff-off. Sorry but 1 home win doesn't earn the capital that's required for you to safely hunker down once the sh*tstorm hits.

9. Built2Win

Built2Win A True Fan

Ironically i had a boss named morono for real..
    he would just do his own thing
    not effectively using the strengths and weakness of his people
    had his own favorites who got away with whatever they wanted
    and naturally his ship sank and production went down
    and finally somebody new was brought in to clean up his mess..
    unfortunatly we are still cleaning up mr. moronos mess..

10. Casas9425

Casas9425 A True Fan

Tony is headed toward the unemployment line.

11. twg76

twg76 Proverbs 3:5-6

Sounds great. Miami has their best games when they battle in the running game. I love watching those games. Those are the games where you can expose the other team's weaknesses and beat them. But you have to be physically conditioned extremely well to do it. And the O-line has to have a strong sense of itself. They have to know their assignments and hit them every time. It takes a lot of work to have a good ground game. But I like that style offense and think opposing teams hate to play against strong running teams no matter what they tell the press.

12. SecondhandJet

SecondhandJet Banned Hammered

This sounds like fun. No RB? Check. OL has more holes than swiss cheese? Check. LETS RUN THE BALL!

The only way Sparano makes it through this year is if the lockout continues uninterrupted.

13. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

No problem with being a run first team. There will be more passing, Sparano even says that. They want to control the ball and clock. Just means they are not going to go into every play with pass on their mind. A successful running game will open up the passing game and mean more big vertical plays. Nothing wrong with that philosophy as long as you can build a strong running game.

14. SCOTTY

SCOTTY Well-Known Member

This is priceless. Morano is an idiot. He abandoned the run game so much last year. I guess that could be because of the steller line he had going there, OLine Guru me azz. Quick stat check 2010: Pass Plays 557 Rushing 445. Morano to "continue" doing something requires you were already doing it.

15. Nublar7

How about we have free agency and the draft before saying this team doesn't have any running backs. The line is not in real bad shape, just really needs an upgrade at the guard position.

You just want Sparano gone because he owns Rex and the Jets.

16. kvado16

kvado16 A True Fan

Why do we always manage to hire the most retarded people to coach our team? with the exception of Jimmy Johnson and Don Shula. Like seriously just because its your "nature" to incorporate a boring offense doesnt mean you should do it as far as im concerned nowadays pass first teams win the superbowls not the runfirst so is sources are a tad bit outdated. God what a moron Sparano is he doesnt even know how to handle things with class.

17. Nublar7

Henning called the plays, not Sparano. Sparano now has his guy at OC.

18. SCOTTY

SCOTTY Well-Known Member

Nubs. That is an old school mentality. I feel in the NFL today, the pass game opens up the running game. Keep those safeties honest and not 6 yards off the line with an actual vertical game, stop the LBs from sneaking up with a real TE and slot threat. That opens up holes for our RBs to run through.

19. SCOTTY

SCOTTY Well-Known Member

I really don't think Daboll is "Sparano's guy". I think it was more like, Dabolls the only one who will take the job. Also, ****** is the Head Coach. Allowing Henning to call the plays that way ultimately has the responsibility fall on him. No excuses for the man in charge plz.

20. SecondhandJet

Personally, I'm not even the least bit concerned with the Fish in 2011. I don't mean to insult your team, but I see you guys having a bad year. I mean BAD. Bottoming out bad. This is just an opinion, but the HC has no respect from the players. They won't run through a wall for him. If you guys even sniff 8 wins next year, I'd be shocked.

21. Phantom

Phantom Phantom Donator

The ole lets keep it close and win down the stretch mentality. One problem Sparano, you have had no 2 min offense for 3 years. This guy is clueless. Here is hoping the lockout continues for a long time.

22. Myles Fynch

Myles Fynch durka durka

I had to test it to be sure. Yeah, if you spell Tony's last name wrong, it's censored.
    :rotfl1:

I was a little skeptical of Tony suddenly having "a plan" for Ross when his job was on the line, seeing as how he didn't have a plan during the year. How could he suddenly come up with something fresh and exciting that would be a modern offense, score a lot of points, and energize the fanbase?

Umm... he didn't.

Nothing wrong with being a run first team, but the reality is we're doing this to protect our QB because we don't have one. Unfortunately, the OL and RBs aren't (as of this writing) strengths of the team, either.

We shall see what we shall see.

23. Phantom

Phantom Phantom Donator

What do you mean, didn't you see them play their hearts out for hs job against the Pats? how about how motivated they played for him against the Browns, Lions, and Bills at home down the stretch?

TedSlimmJr likes this.
  24. insomnia411

insomnia411 The world is yours

Ordinarily I don't like Ron Jaworski, but he always says "you move the ball with the running game, but you score touchdowns with the passing game" and I completely agree with that statement. I'm all about having a savage running game, but if you can't get big plays in the air, and if you CONSTANTLY HAVE TO SETTLE FOR FIELD GOALS BECAUSE OF INEPT PLAY CALLING/ SLOW *** SKILL POSITION PLAYERS, then your offense is Miami 2010.
    Keep on playing "not to lose" Tony, see where it gets you.

25. Built2Win

Built2Win A True Fan

hit the nail on the head about 2 minute offense
    it doesn't exist with the dolphins
    henne or fill in the blanks " "
    needs to be able to use passing to the sideline
    for advantage to save some clock
    and have the ability to feel comfortable
    and not waste timeouts that are needed to score!
    the 2 minute drill was so bad last year
    it looked like they never practiced it much less an afterthought.
    Tony initial success was when we burned time off the clock
    but not all games we want to burn time..

26. X-Pacolypse

X-Pacolypse A True Fan

The owner wants a wide open offense. The meatball wants to continue the tired old philosphies of Parcells and Henning. Explain to me why this moron was given another year?

27. HurriPhin

HurriPhin Banned Hammered

Considering how much we abandoned the run last year, we need this approach. Now if we can only get Ingram to tote the rock I'll be ecstatic.

28. Built2Win

Built2Win A True Fan

those extra 100 pass plays were like runs passes under 5 yards..

29. Myles Fynch

Myles Fynch durka durka

Something about a leopard changing it's spots comes to mind.

We're going to pound the rock. Ok. Like Rotoworld said, both of our OTs are coming off surgeries and the interior of our OL is in flux. We don't want our RBs back. Good grief there's work to be done, yet we have a delayed FA and limited draft choices to work with. I will always root for this team, but as a betting person, my money would be elsewhere in 2011.

30. Nublar7

Yes you did, that is exactly what you meant to do. The Jets are primed to bottom out also with guys like JT gone and LT continuing to age. Not only that, Ryan's hollow predictions of winning the Super Bowl are starting to wear thin with the fan base and especially the players. I am not sure if a player would run through a wall for Rex either, probably because Rex is big enough to go through a wall, feet first of course.

Head to head, Miami is the better team.

The Dolphins have a top 6 defense, the best receiver and left tackle in the AFC East and a bunch of other solid starters on offense like Carey and Bess. The Dolphins are much closer to being a playoff team than they would be to what you think they will be.

The Dolphins will make the playoffs and the Jets won't in 2011, not to be mean, but that is how I see it. I would be SHOCKED if the Jets made the playoffs this year.

31. SecondhandJet

Not at all. I really don't see the Fish as a threat so there's not much animosity towards them.

JT is what? LOL... a situational pass rusher that played about 10% of plays. LT is what he is. He's going to continue to split carries with Shonn Greene until we run him into the ground. Neither one of them are irreplaceable and neither was instrumental to our success. We have the best OL, even a half dazed Joe McKnight ran for well over 100 yards when given the chance.

You're not from NYC. Rex Ryan RUNS NY. He can take a **** on the Empire State Building and the newspapers would praise him as a great motivator. Lets put this in perspective: this guy is so damn charismatic that he basically got away with pimping out his wife to dudes for his own pleasure and we all said "hey, it's no big deal". No one could've gotten away with that. He's that damn good.

Maybe the Hurricanes over Rutgers. But that's debatable.

The Jets have a Top 3 defense. Marshall is so good, he scores once every 5 + games. I'm shaking. Long is great. Brick is very good. The difference is, Long is the only one on your OL that can block while Brick is part of the best OL in the NFL, not just the AFC East.

Lets make it interesting. If the Jets make the playoffs and the Fish don't, you have to change your signature to a picture of Sanchez (I'll choose the picture). If things happen as you "see it", I'll do the same with a Fish player of your choice.

32. footsteps_falco

footsteps_falco Damn SugarBowl Finheaven VIP Donator

i dont mind watching run-heavy games, especially the bad weather games, those are great when you can run effectively. i think we just need some better blocking and and playcalling to make that happen. the place where i'd like to see more game changing plays is actually on defense rather then offense you know? i mean it would be cool to have us bombing TD's all day but realistically i think were not far off from getting a running game going like in 09 again but this time with the defense to back it up. games like the saints game and colts game, hell the steelers this year, i think we'd win a lot of these closer games if we have the defense and run game at the same time. i also always perfect running the ball in the redzone, just safer to me, but you gotta score.

33. footsteps_falco

footsteps_falco Damn SugarBowl Finheaven VIP Donator

idk man in NY it goes Yankees, Giants, Mets, Rangers, Jets, Knicks as far as most popular teams so i wouldn't exactly say rex ryan owns the city. and if anything the knicks might take them soon hahaha

34. SecondhandJet

The Jets bumped the Giants off of every backpage this year, wtf are you talking about? And Rangers? No one even follows hockey as far as I know. I haven't seen a hockey game other than the Finals advertised anywhere.

35. Built2Win

Built2Win A True Fan

with melo studimire and billips to the knicks
    people thought they would overtake the #1 celebrity sports team in ny
    as its turning out melo is now hiding from the ny media
    and is taking criticism for his lackluster performance and seeming scarred..
    It is clear ny gave up too many pieces for mello..

I think the jets are higher on the new york mind
    than you give them credit for
    they got a voyeuristic fat slobbering coach that pimps out his wife for free
    and a quarterback who bangs girls still in high-school
    that has TMZ dripping goo from the keyboard..
    Yeah the jets are a show all-right :p

36. Cali Finfan

Cali Finfan A True Fan

If he wants to be employed next year he had better figure out how to be a "run first" team while scoring points. No one will care how he does it as long as he is scoring points....

37. utahphinsfan

utahphinsfan Puck Fitzburgh

By this logic, Dave Wannstedt was the pinnacle of manhood.

38. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

Run for your life offense that game

39. PALMA

PALMA A very famous spit

Sparano is both DUMB and ARROGANT

40. Ricky_Fan34

Ricky_Fan34 Suns and Fins superfan

Not sure why we're seeing all the negativity about this quote. When the running game is working, Miami wins... when it isn't they lose, regardless of how well the passing game is going. First games that come to mind are SNF against the Jets and MNF against the Pats. We had lots of success through the air, but never did really attempt to establish the run. End result? 2 losses.

I realize the running game sucked last year, but let's face it, most of that had to do with Dan Henning getting pass happy. First game that comes to mind is the Ravens game. We gashed them in the beginning. Ronnie had 45 yard or so on the first drive alone, as well as a touchdown. Ricky had some nice runs as well. Next thing you know, Dan Henning comes along and ****s it all up. It actually really makes me wonder about the guy... because we were running the ball well, he wanted to start passing? It doesn't take a football fan to tell you that if it aint broke, don't fix it.

As far as the quote goes, have at it Sparano. If you think you can save your *** behind a strong running game, by all means, go for it. Don't do something that you don't believe in or think the team can accomplish just because the fans want excitement. Do whatever has to be done to win. That's all that matters. If the Dolphins are winning, the stadium will fill up and Ross will be a much happier owner.