Speilman Progress Report and his "needle in the haystack deal" | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Speilman Progress Report and his "needle in the haystack deal"

Alxphins

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
I am somewhat surprised at the people who have praised Speilman’s and Wanny’s performance to date. The latest chapter being the laudatory praise being heaped on Speilman by people on this board for the Wally/Booker trade. Does anyone remember that Booker had an off-season last year and he is a receiver coming off of a knee injury? A little bit of a gamble maybe? I have read all the scenarios that say Wally was not going to play for us and we had to get rid of him etc. etc. but this deal is a big gamble, just like a good number of Speilman’s moves Feeley (no proven track record), McIntosh (injury), Boston (attitude – although this seemed to be working out before he got injured).

Point is Speilman strikes me as the type of guy who tries to make what I like to call the “needle in the haystack†deal. Find that jewel that nobody else knows about for great value. The concept is great but translating that into reality seems to be a problem, e.g. see performance of Feeley to date.

I do not think it is appropriate to send Speilman to the wolves at this point, it is too early. However, I watched that preseason game against the Redskins and I simply cannot imagine how anyone can praise anyone on this team from management to players for that performance as it relates to the offensive side of the ball. It was beyond pathetic. Feeley and Feidler look equally inept. Our offensive line looked inept as did our running backs. Mind you this was a Redskin team who left a number of defensive starters in Washington.

We still have a way to go and things may change, but to date the progress report for Speilman and Wanny relating to moves and coaching as they affect the offensive side of the ball is either Poor or Incomplete.

Think about it:

1) Offensive line is in disarray (Read that Wade Smith is also playing poorly) and this is the key to the team
2) No running backs (Please note that Wanny said after the Skins game that we will not be a passing team)
3) Which leads me to the fact that we cannot even get consistently average play from our QB’s
4) Fiasco with the offensive coordinators

We may or may not want to face it as fans but our offense is in serious trouble and we have only two preseason games left. I know Ricky Williams (Jerk) leaving and Boston’s injury are not the management’s fault, however, one thing that was in their control was rebuilding the o-line and to date it has bee a nightmare (other than the pick-up and play of Jeno James).

So just become a Jets fan why dont you? the whole world is set to put Spielman and Wanny to the cross. so be it. I dont here anyone saying what tehy would realistically would have done and if they did, alot of people would still not be happy. I think everyone is just too damn selfish, just like Ricky.

If Huizenga doesn't realize that he REALLY has the WORST possible people in the front office for the Dolphins, and what a HORRENDOUS job they are doing, we are going into a serious nose-dive here and the future could really look disgusting! WE are getting WOrse by the year!!! Ok...Ricky wasn't Dave's fault, but did they plan fora possible Ricky injury??(which is the same crap as retiring for us) D. Boston isn't their fault, but did they account for that possible injury?? Why the hell did they give up the extra pick when going for Carey (who was already going to be a reach)if they're not even putting him in there and he's not beating anyone out of anywhere? We're gonna be the Chargers in afew years if Wayne doesn't make some changes this year.

Alxphins said:
However, I watched that preseason game against the Redskins and I simply cannot imagine how anyone can praise anyone on this team from management to players for that performance as it relates to the offensive side of the ball. It was beyond pathetic. Feeley and Feidler look equally inept. Our offensive line looked inept as did our running backs. Mind you this was a Redskin team who left a number of defensive starters in Washington.

We still have a way to go and things may change, but to date the progress report for Speilman and Wanny relating to moves and coaching as they affect the offensive side of the ball is either Poor or Incomplete.
Yea, but these guys are looking great in practice. Alot of people get over hyped from reports coming out of practice. Last year people had everyone believing Thompson was making plays all over the field. However what you do in practice does not matter if you cannot duplicate it in game situations.

Practice is just that practice.

Also people put way too much stock in preseason games. Yes Miami has looked inept in both games, but they are trying to find out what will work and what will not. The Washington game. It was obvious that Gibbs game planned for this game. His team had been embarrassing for their first two games and he needed to make sure they had something positive to build on.

Miami is in for a long season. Especially after DW comments the other day.
That proves what some already believe. Why go out and get Booker when your head coach is telling everyone. "If we cannot run the ball, then we surely will not pass it." WRs are an after thought to DW. Its play defense and run the ball. Bookers talent will most likely be wasted with this head coach.

Alxphins said:
Does anyone remember that Booker had an off-season last year and he is a receiver coming off of a knee injury?

No. And neither should you. He had an ankle injury and finished the season strong.

Alxphins said:
Point is Speilman strikes me as the type of guy who tries to make what I like to call the “needle in the haystack†deal. Find that jewel that nobody else knows about for great value.

Booker is a two time pro bowler!

Alxphins said:
I do not think it is appropriate to send Speilman to the wolves at this point, it is too early. However, I watched that preseason game against the Redskins and I simply cannot imagine how anyone can praise anyone on this team from management to players for that performance as it relates to the offensive side of the ball. It was beyond pathetic.

Hence the need to add players on offense.

Not many teams have the luxury of having good backups to starters. That's just the way of the league. Miami "planned" for these guys to start. They have to go with what they have NOW.

I totally agree with original poster's comments. This is by far the nuttiest off/preseason I've seen from ANY team.

Plus dont forget, The dolphins are bumping the cap and dont have the high draft picks or time to really groom a star or sign a superstar without some issues. I think speilman has done a good job working under the fact that most teams know what we need and somewhat have us over a barrell. If boston stayed healthy he would have been a great move(still maybe a good move). Wale was not signing with us and we still managed to get a pro bowl receiver and a high draft pick. I agree Feely may have been a stretch but that still remains to be seen but to me that gives him a grade of a B for the offseason moves. Just remember if Ricky didnt retire and D.BO didnt get injured that we were looking at a possibly powerhouse offense, easily the most talented in the AFC east.

No. And neither should you. He had an ankle injury and finished the season strong.

Quote from Herald Article:

"However, between the revolving-door situation at quarterback and a knee injury that cost him three games, the 6-foot, 212-pound Booker slumped to 52 catches last season."

Booker is a two time pro bowler!

I am not saying he cannot be a pro-bowler again, but as far as I can tell to date we do not have an o-line that can pass protect and we do not have a qb to throw it to him.

Hence the need to add players on offense.[/QUOTE]

My point exactly. But I think you get what you pay for.

One last point. Let me be clear I think management has done a great job on the defensive side of the ball, but I am afraid that effort will be wasted.

finfan54 said:
So just become a Jets fan why dont you? the whole world is set to put Spielman and Wanny to the cross. so be it. I dont here anyone saying what tehy would realistically would have done and if they did, alot of people would still not be happy. I think everyone is just too damn selfish, just like Ricky.

Very mature response. You sound like a jet fan. My point is simply that while Spielman and Wanny have done a great job on the defensive side on the ball they have done an equally poor job on the offensive side. I really don't think any objective person can dispute that and if we don't get help soon it will be a long season.

As for your second point, honestly it makes no sense to me. Maybe you can clarify it.

F^(K_RICKY said:
Just remember if Ricky didnt retire and D.BO didnt get injured that we were looking at a possibly powerhouse offense, easily the most talented in the AFC east.

I couldnt have said it better myself. If we had Boston, CC, and Booker with Ricky still here we would be Superbowl bound. Now that Boston is out and the running game is not doing so well we needed to add a player on offense, teams were trying to offer us Ontarrio Smith for Ogun straight up. Thats the kind of RB teams were offering, instead Rick went to a WR and got a 2 time Pro Bowler and a 3rd round pick. Which could be used to land a RB if we really arent hapy with Minor at the seasons start.

Spiel has done fine.The only thing I blame anyone for at this point is why would you have a pound,pound,pound running game but have Minor as your 2nd string if you didn't feel like he could carry the load.
We should have never been caught with our pants down when Ricky retired and there is no excuse for it.
Green Bay has Davenport and Fisher who both fit their style,Vikes have 3 every down backs and so on.
I dont like Wanny more for this reason more than his coaching ineptitude.

AlxphinsQuote from Herald Article: "However said:
a knee injury[/B] that cost him three games, the 6-foot, 212-pound Booker slumped to 52 catches last season."

The Herald is wrong. This is from si.com:

He missed three games with ankle injury last season and was limited to 52 receptions for 715 yards.

This is from stats inc during the year last year:

11/05/2003 Questionable Ankle
10/29/2003 Questionable Ankle
10/22/2003 Questionable Ankle
10/15/2003 Questionable Ankle
10/12/2003 Day-to-day Ankle
10/08/2003 Probable Side

Alxphins said:
Think about it:

1) Offensive line is in disarray (Read that Wade Smith is also playing poorly) and this is the key to the team

I know Ricky Williams (Jerk) leaving and Boston’s injury are not the management’s fault, however, one thing that was in their control was rebuilding the o-line and to date it has bee a nightmare (other than the pick-up and play of Jeno James).

Whenever you make the sort of dramatic changes that we have with our offensive line -- four new starters, only two returning players who saw meaningful action here last season -- it is wildly unrealistic to expect that group to come together quickly. Add in the fact that there is very little experience with that group, and that process will probably take longer than usual. I don't doubt that the group we have will turn out to be an upgrade over what we had last year, but it may take most of the season for them to figure out how to play together.

Accept that 2004 is a transition year and you'll be able to get through it much more easily.

Back
Top Bottom