Spoke to ex phin Rishard Mathews today | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Spoke to ex phin Rishard Mathews today

Coach_Rob

Club Member
Reaction score
I was invited to the Titans first coach clinic today (Im a Defensive Coordinator in Clarksville TN). I was walking around before practice wearing my Dolphins lanyard with pride lol. any way rishard was warming up and i asked him how the transition was going. It took him a minute and he kinda gave this look like he didnt know how to answer bc a coach was right there. Then he said it was going ok.....pretty good. i said i was going to miss him being a phin and he kinda laughed and i told him good luck. thats the short version. guy is a good guy. kinda seems like he missed miami. but who wouldnt. during practice he was a starter along with hunter which surprised me. DGB was a back up under hunter.

The highlight of the night was actually sitting down watching some film with ledgendary coach Dick Labeau. He even told a story of playing the dolphins and Marino when he was with the bengals creating the fire zone defense. Oh in the story Marino took us down the field with less than 2 min to win the game 17-13

Just thought i would share.

Last edited by a moderator:
He has always been a professional and hard worker. Even when I was watching him play at the local junior college, he was never a diva, just "damn, that guy can ball."

Great stories. Rishard was one of my favorite up and coming Fins, I hope he does well in Tennessee. My brother lives in Clarksville, TN. He is also big Dolphin fan... at least you are not alone up there.

If that's the short version, I'm all ears for the long story lol

But that's super cool you got to meet him and others, should've asked him his true thoughts on Philbin and/or lazor

I chatted with him at a supermarket signing in his rookie year for about 10mins. Very nice kid. Seemed pretty intelligent to me also and that's why I never bought into the BS that douchebag Philbin wouldn't first activate him and then play him because he couldn't master the playbook. AFAIC, Philbin and his pettiness inhibited the careers of both Matthews and Tannehill considering the instant chemistry and productivity they generated together.

Anyway, at that time, told him to check out FH and that many of us were clamoring for him finally suit up on game day. He laughed and said something like "don't worry, it'll be happening soon."

Also got him to sign an inscription that I'm a very handsome fan.

I'll always be rooting for him and think that letting him walk was a worse mistake than Vernon.

Cool story, but once they leave it doesn't matter to me what they do - unless it's vs. us or a division rival.

(Unless they sign a contract with a division rival, then they need to contract herpes)

It doesn't surprise me that he would be a starter. According to Football Outsiders DVOA metric he was the second most efficient wide receiver in the NFL last season.

My good friend works for the fins and works closely with the players. Mathews is one of his favorite guys on the team and was bummed when he left. He did tell me however that there was no way he was coming back to the dolphins this off-season. Guy did not love being a fin I could tell you that much. Seems like a great guy though.

My good friend works for the fins and works closely with the players. Mathews is one of his favorite guys on the team and was bummed when he left. He did tell me however that there was no way he was coming back to the dolphins this off-season. Guy did not love being a fin I could tell you that much. Seems like a great guy though.

Yeah you definitely had a sense that he and Miller wanted no part of coming back to Miami.

Seems like a great guy that did not want to be part of sunny Miami!

Was there ANYONE who loved being a Dolphin under Failbin???

Seems like indeed a great guy but that is the business!

Was there ANYONE who loved being a Dolphin under Failbin???

To be fair, it goes beyond Philbin. From what I understand, Lamar Miller was pissed with Campbell and Tannenbaum because of how they handled him late in the season.

They essentially stopped giving him the football to try to reduce his market value, and I don't blame him for being mad about it.

Back
Top Bottom