Sporting News Ranks The Fins18QBs In 18Yrs Since Marino | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sporting News Ranks The Fins18QBs In 18Yrs Since Marino

Really? We discussing the ranking on a list of best of the worst? :laugh

First of all Fiedler was not crap. He was a smart game manager who overestimated his arm strength at times. He was a solution to hold over the position until a new franchise QB would have joined the franchise. The other big problem was that he immediately followed Marino.

Pennington is definitely up there. A QB like Fiedler (smart game manager with limited arm strength) minus Fiedler's mobility. Just like Fiedler a good QB as place keeper until a franchisde QB would have entered the picture. If he would not have gotten hurt Henne would have never started for us.

Tannehill is correctly placed at #3. The first two were the last two starters who brought us the playoffs playing a full season. Tannehill blew the 2013 playoff chance and until he gets us to the playoffs playing a full season he should remain at #3. This is a list of accomplishments (or lack thereof) and not potential or wishful thinking. No matter what happens with Tannehill in the future he is placed correctly at #3 right now. Moore at 4 I am OK with as well. He always performed admirably when called into significant playing time and is a good mentor to Tannehill and I believe the longest tenured Dolphins QB after Marino.

After that you can throw every QB in a bucket and draw. Any ranking is fine.

Really? We discussing the ranking on a list of best of the worst? :laugh

First of all Fiedler was not crap. He was a smart game manager who overestimated his arm strength at times. He was a solution to hold over the position until a new franchise QB would have joined the franchise. The other big problem was that he immediately followed Marino.

Pennington is definitely up there. A QB like Fiedler (smart game manager with limited arm strength) minus Fiedler's mobility. Just like Fiedler a good QB as place keeper until a franchisde QB would have entered the picture. If he would not have gotten hurt Henne would have never started for us.

Tannehill is correctly placed at #3. The first two were the last two starters who brought us the playoffs playing a full season. Tannehill blew the 2013 playoff chance and until he gets us to the playoffs playing a full season he should remain at #3. This is a list of accomplishments (or lack thereof) and not potential or wishful thinking. No matter what happens with Tannehill in the future he is placed correctly at #3 right now. Moore at 4 I am OK with as well. He always performed admirably when called into significant playing time and is a good mentor to Tannehill and I believe the longest tenured Dolphins QB after Marino.

After that you can throw every QB in a bucket and draw. Any ranking is fine.

Disagree.. IMO there are too many extenuating circumstances to base this on the playoffs. Case in point, if ranking The Saints QBs, how could anyone place Hebert or Jeff Blake above Archie Manning despite them getting into the WC and divisional rounds and Archie never making the POs.

I think the WC deserves as much credit for the 11-5 record as does Pennington who notably was off the field during much of it. As far as Fiedler goes, he played on some strong teams; just as I believe Wanny , despite ostensible success in a few Postseasons could have gotten the team further, IMO good teams were limited by Fiedler's limitations.

It's subjective but if placed into either of the above's situations, Tannehill would have done as well, if not better.

As much as many people believe Tannehill has been the best since Marino, he still doesn't have a winning record, only Pennington and Fiedler do. Beck has to be the worst, king of the pick six. Culpepper is only seen as the worst because we missed on Brees, not his fault though.

Top 3 should be as follows imo:
1. Pennington
2. Tannehill
3. Fiedler

Last edited:
Disagree.. IMO there are too many extenuating circumstances to base this on the playoffs. Case in point, if ranking The Saints QBs, how could anyone place Hebert or Jeff Blake above Archie Manning despite them getting into the WC and divisional rounds and Archie never making the POs.

I think the WC deserves as much credit for the 11-5 record as does Pennington who notably was off the field during much of it. As far as Fiedler goes, he played on some strong teams; just as I believe Wanny , despite ostensible success in a few Postseasons could have gotten the team further, IMO good teams were limited by Fiedler's limitations.

It's subjective but if placed into either of the above's situations, Tannehill would have done as well, if not better.
I really don't care how you rank QBs and what measures you are taking. If you want to go into a nitty gritty you have to start evaluating each opponent and their strength at that time we faced them.

I am not going into a Tannehill debate with you. He hasn't accomplished anything yet and therefore the #3 spot is OK. If we would have made the playoffs in 2013 when we blew the games against the Bills and Jets you'd have a case for a #1 ranking.

Archie Manning? Really? Couldn't you have at least picked a QB from the 50s and 60s.

Instead of looking at their success or lack of it with the team, if you were starting a team from scratch today, which QB would you take, not knowing the other components of players, schemes or coaches?

**** almost forgot about Huard. Always wonders how he would’ve done if they didn’t bench him in favor of noodle arm. Also liked Scott Mitchell

Were those yards from the QB position? Did he play the position any other season?

I was half joking brother. Just pointing out how bad the actually QB's were.

Ronnie took some snaps there the next season but after that the wildcat was no more.

Instead of looking at their success or lack of it with the team, if you were starting a team from scratch today, which QB would you take, not knowing the other components of players, schemes or coaches?
Tannehill, then Pennington. If both had the same arm, it would be Pennington but his lack of arm strength puts him behind Tannehill.

Back
Top Bottom