Sports Agent David Canter predicts QB Ryan Tannehill will start opening day

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by FinAtic8480, Aug 1, 2012.

1. FinAtic8480

FinAtic8480 A True Fan

www.twitter.com/DavidCanter

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2012
  2. cuban_refugee

cuban_refugee Football On My Mind 24 Hrs Per Day

wont' happen.

3. ROADRUNNER

ROADRUNNER FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Not going to happen i think?............

4. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

I still think Garrard or Moore(likely Garrard) will be the starting QB week one against Houston. Though I am very happy about what we have been hearing about Tannehill these first few days. Sounds like skill and talent wise there is a noticeable difference between him and Garrard and Moore. At this point though he is likely still raw enough that initially they will go with one of the veterans.

5. nerfball

nerfball A True Fan

I'm curious to see how they split up time in the first and second preseason games. This is a new NFL, it isn't a a given a rookie like sits a year. Look around at all the rookie QBs that came in a started right away. Stay open minded...

6. Dolphin_Daz

Dolphin_Daz Dolfan in England

Despite what the coaches are saying, Tannehill isnt in the QB race - even if he is the better QB.
    I do see all this hype and good reviews leading to him starting at least 1 game this season though. Looking forward to it! :up:

7. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

Philbin is still keeping an open mind and letting them compete. The PS games will decide it. Maybe Carter is a psychic or a palm reader in his spare time?
    I would be shocked if RT starts. The team needs to gel for a few games with a steady and capable veteran. There is no rush to start RT.

8. nerfball

nerfball A True Fan

Ok, I'll bite. Why do you think the coaches are lying and he isn't really being considered for the starting role?

9. Dolphin_Daz

Ok, I don't think they are lying, but I see it as Tannehill has more to do to win the Job than Moore/Garrard. He is a rookie, he is raw and we open to a tough team on the road. Even if he plays better than the two in camp/pre season, I just see it as the safest option is to put Moore or Garrard in. During the season, I could easily see Tannehill starting though, just not week 1. :)

10. 72 silky

72 silky Well-Known Member

I got a feeling tannehill ends up starting day 1 also. Don't get me wrong if philbin decides not to start him week 1 I'm ok with him sitting , something just tells me once we see tannehill in the preseason we will all be asking for him to start.

11. RockyMtnPhinfan

RockyMtnPhinfan A True Fan Donator

That's like your mama taking your side, it's SUPPOSED to be that way. It doesn't mean it's an objective opinion.

12. nerfball

nerfball A True Fan

I don't know, maybe a "homecoming" game of sorts for Tannehill @ the Texans will amp him up for opening day?

13. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

If he blows away the competition then why not? But otherwise, we've got two competent QBs, who could well be better than anyone in the division not named "Brady" who justify being under center on opening day. Baptism by fire, especially until the OL gels is not necessarily always the way to go... just ask David Carr.

14. Dolphin_Daz

You may very well be right my friend. :) In fact, I hope he does start @ the Texans! I like Matt Moore, but our future is set to be under Tannehill and id love to see that Era start asap. Who knows, perhaps this QB competiton really is open in the truest sense of the word, but coaches are famous for coach speech, and this may or may not be another case of that. Time will tell...

15. phinatic1399

phinatic1399 Diehard Phinatic!

He is more accurate when there is no pass rush but from everything I've read he is still struggling under pressure when live bullets are firing and thats what matters the most. I still think it is best to let Garrard start and maybe he can have the same effect that pennington did in 08. Let Tannehill develop and get his feet wet during the preseason and then midway through the regular season if we look like were out of contention let the kid take over. We have a fairly easy schedule and it would be a disservice to the whole team especially the veterans like dansby, burnett, bush, bess to pretty much tank the season and let Tannehill start. I say we play for now and let a smart veteran like Garrard protect the ball and guide us through and easy schedule like pennington did in 08 because anything can happen. Is Garrard Aaron Rodgers? Absolutely not, but he is a solid veteran when healthy and he has done this before and lead the Jags to the playoffs a couple times, so at the end of the day let garrard start and if things look bad midway let Tannehill take over.

16. hoops

hoops exited stage left

can't win the job if you don't get snaps with the 1's...who's agent is david canter anyways??? b/t i wouldn't pay attention to anything anyone here says regarding who the qb will be as an absolute at this point...

ha ha...and now this guy above me says your tanking the season if you let tannehill start...too much

17. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 Smoke 'em Jay Finheaven VIP

I would tell you that Garrard and Moore are the 2nd and 3rd best QBs in the division but I don't want the thread to get hijacked.

18. FinAtic8480

FinAtic8480 A True Fan

Ever since Tannehill arrived at camp Garrard & Moore have begun looking like average QBs next to him, wait to more camp reports come out later on today

19. MadDog 88

Based on a tweet that Omar Kelly sent because that's the only bad word I have read?

20. MadDog 88

20 snaps each for Garrard and Moore in the first game.

21. Phins117

Phins117 A True Fan

Honestly if this kid nearing mid preseason gets any where near matt or david skill wise....you start him. I mean I know he is new and still has a lot to experience but you don't learn the game by sitting on the bench. You get out there and play the game. Practice can not replicate game type experiences. However if it is a noticeable gap between him and garrard/ moore than go with one of those two. I really would like to see him start. It would make me feel we are on the right track.

22. Canadianfishfan

Canadianfishfan FinHeavean VIP

At first I thought Canter might have an invested interest in Tannehill.. but I believe he's being truly unbiased. Preseason games will show us everything we need to know. I would be surprised if Tannehill is truly ready for the season opener.

23. FinAtic8480

FinAtic8480 A True Fan

By what Im reading Im starting to get the feeling Tannehill has made Garrard & Moore look for what they really are, average QBs. If the talent level between Garrard, Moore & THill is the same, than THill needs to start cause of his upside. He can learn on the fly. Clearly there has not been a #Dolphins QB to really separate himself from the pack, still very early. To be continued....

Now I will say this ever since THill arrived, the only QB everyone is raving about is, THill.

24. hoops

hoops exited stage left

david carr wasn't half the athlete ryan tannehill...especially from a mobility stand point...and he had an awful oline...david garrard and matt moore aren't getting out of anything with their legs that ryan tannehill can't i can tell ya that...only difference i see there is garrards more likely to recognize and account for free rushers...maybe...tanny knows the o as well as either of these vets...more film study more field time no reason he can't adjust and also no reason given his tools he can't make the opposition pay for it...

25. Heinegrabber

Heinegrabber Since 84 Finheaven VIP Donator

everything you read, or ONE thing you read?

26. ATL_PHIN_FAN

ATL_PHIN_FAN Winner Under Construction

Daz, I wish I knew more about how Matt Ryan and Joe Flaco became starters for their teams in their rookie year. Did they have solid veteran competition during their rookie training camps? Were they sooooo impressive that their coaches HAD to start them? Was the decision influenced by the front office's need to show their fans they'd made the right decision in the draft? I don't know. I think it was likely a combination of all three possibilities. And if that's the case, why wouldn't the Dolphins maybe do the same? Philbin said in a press conference the other day that as a HC, there is NO set formula for making that decision. He mentioned both Matt Ryan and Aaron Rodgers as examples of positive outcomes for both possibilities. He indicated he could go either way with it depending on the circumstances that develop during camp. I think its very possible that Tannehill could start for the dolphins in game 1, if not likely.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2012
  27. 72 silky

72 silky Well-Known Member

I agree. if by week 3 preseason there's no real big gap between tannehill and the two vets then why wouldn't you start tannehill. That's why I think he ends up starting week 1, I think at this point tannehill is already more physically talented to Moore and Gerard that and knowing the system will close that gap quickly

28. FinAtic8480

FinAtic8480 A True Fan

Garrard has looked pretty mobile out there, & I believe even rushed for a TD the other day. While I understand the point you are trying to make that THill is a very athletic QB & probably the most athletic QB the Fins have right, the old man still has some wheels on him.

29. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i think flaccos the right comparison not from a playing stand point but from the where he supposedly had to sit for a year or two before he should play...all he did was lead the ravens to the postseason and win i think it was 2 games when he got there his rookie year...

and he's a much more statue at the position than ryan tannehill is...i just don't get the let the kid marinate on the bench stuff...especially for david garrard or matt moore...not if the competitions close

30. Lord Of Miami

Lord Of Miami A True Fan

Jeff Ireland has said in the past if he has an old guy and and a younger guy fighting for a spot and it's even close then he's starting the young guy.

31. datruth55

datruth55 Starter Finheaven VIP

For me it's more than just letting him sit and get acclimated to the speed of the game as well as learning the little nuances of playing the QB position. It's about setting him up for success and not failure. Where is his go-to receiver? Is the right side of the O-line good enough so that he's not having to run for his life all the time? Can our running game take the pressure off of him if he's struggling (and he will struggle)? Can the defense get him the ball and keep games close?

Flacco had to start unexpectedly his rookie season cause the starting QB that year got hurt in camp...but Flacco had all those elements I mentioned. Great defense, great running game with McClain, McGahee and Rice, go-to receiver in Derrick Mason (who wasn't in the QBs ear all the time like Chad Johnson will be) and a safety valve TE in Todd Heap. Compare what was around Flacco as a rookie to what's around Tannehill and you'll see the disadvantage you'd be putting Tannehill in over Flacco. Same with Matt Ryan who had Tony Gonzalez, Roddy White, Michael Turner, a good O-line blocking for him and a very good defense. I just don't see those weapons around Tannehill. There was a reason the Colts went heavy on offense after drafting Luck...they want to set him up for success...Coby Fleener, Dwayne Allen, T.Y. Hilton, Vick Ballard (who I really like), LaVon Brazill in addition to Reggie Wayne and Donald Brown (who'll be used properly this year)...is putting a lot of weapons around your franchise QB.

32. BenchFiedler

BenchFiedler Undrafted Pro-Bowler

Unlikely he will beat out GARRARD.. But this is what to expect from a client's agent. He's just doing his job..

33. Lord Of Miami

Lord Of Miami A True Fan

Davie is not his agent, Pat Dye Jr is.

34. hoops

hoops exited stage left

no doubt flacco had more around him...a stout d etc but flacco also was learning a new offense...this is the same o for the most part tannys played with for 2 years...i think the lack of wr talent which is a legit thing we do lack it is gonna be offset with the scheme etc some...so while i think we need to upgrade it and bad at that i don't think it's quite as bad as we think...and we all know that the backs and te's are gonna be featured to offset the wrs some...the speed of the game seems to be slowing down for him already from otas to training camp i don't see why that can't continue...i don't see why this learning curve can't continue on the upswing...

it's david garrard and matt moore truth...you want to go into this season with your ceiling as mediocre...play them...i don't operate like that...i don't buy any "you'll ruin him for life if you put him out there too early" stuff either...imo they got to bite as pups...

35. ATL_PHIN_FAN

ATL_PHIN_FAN Winner Under Construction

Thanks for filling us in on the situations faced by Ryan and Flacco starting their rookie years. If we compare them to the situation at Davie this year, then I'd have to say its not likely RT will start to begin the season. However, if some of our positional unknowns get resolved in positive ways and Philbin thinks RT has what it will take, we might see RT somewhere down the road this year.

36. FinAtic8480

FinAtic8480 A True Fan

David Canter is not the agent of Ryan Tannehill, he is the agent of Paul Soliai, Sean Smith, Legedu Naanee & Derrick Shelby.

37. hoops

hoops exited stage left

in other words he has no horse in this race and no vested interest...which imo means he's more likely to give you a straight up answer for what he sees...

38. FinAtic8480

FinAtic8480 A True Fan

Correct. THill has looked impressive no doubt, but Garrard has separated himself from all the QBs & I expect him to start opening day.

39. ROADRUNNER

ROADRUNNER FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

And welcome back to the board.............

40. datruth55

datruth55 Starter Finheaven VIP

He's biting IMO...but I like the approach the coaching staff is using. Seems Tannehill makes a little jump after each time off...after he's had some time to digest and evaluate his own play he takes another step but that's a process that's happening naturally and I don't want them to force it on Tannehill. There's no question he has more upside than Garrard and Moore and if he gets to the point where he's reading defenses and making adjustments pre and post snap then I'm all for letting him roll out there. But he has yet to face a defense that has game planned for him...that's an entirely different world on this level. We've all seen QBs that have shined in preseason and then in the regular season get completely blown up. Lets not get ahead of ourselves here, the reports have been great, sounds like he's throwing with good velocity, accuracy and anticipation which is everything we've been missing around here but the mental aspect of the NFL is a huge bear to wrestle.

I'm with the coaching staff on slowly easing him in. Philbin was there when they brought Aaron Rodgers along and anyone who evaluated Rodgers before the draft and again when he became starter will tell you that he made a huge leap in his play. Right now Tannehill is having success and that success is building confidence and everyday they give him a little more to work on and he'll continue to have success and build confidence until he finally reaches the point where they say he's ready. He'll end up getting 20 or so snaps in the first preseason game, lets see how he does against 3rd stringers before we throw him in the fire.