Sports Business Journal..Ross' company bidding on LA stadium?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by IHearJimi, Jan 21, 2013.

1. IHearJimi

IHearJimi Representing the 515

Just tweeted out by Ben Volin. Does anyone have an account with Sports Business Journal to post the jist of the article. Interesting if he's sending Miami-Dade a message for a new stadium.

2. Casas9425

Casas9425 A True Fan

Ben Volin ‏@BenVolinPBP
    RT @dkaplanSBJ: Reporting in SBJ today that dolphins owner steve ross' related cos bidding on AEG, which means LA football proposal too

3. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Lets send a message to ross and tell him no to another handout

4. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

Yawn, go ahead and move it if you want, the Dolphins will be back eventually and hopefully to a better owner.

5. FinAtic8480

FinAtic8480 A True Fan

Basically Ross telling Miami-Dade help me renovate Sun Life or Im gone. Man everyday that passes it just uglier for this once proud franchise.

6. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Well its not really that easy and good luck trying to move the dolphins to LA. Read it here now it will not happen. If True it just shows the scumbag that Ross is but oh well

7. flynryan15

flynryan15 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Ross is playing the fear card and look at people buying it! Yep LA is the end all be all NFL town! How many NFL teams have left that place? You think People in Miami don't care about a loser check the shallow people of LA!

8. xXwarXx

xXwarXx Banned Hammered

I think Ross wants the team to succeed here, but it seems no matter what miami fans won't show up for this team. He spent a billion $ on this team, eventually you have to ask, whats it gonna take?

I started getting worried the dolphins could leave Miami during the pennington run when we were making an incredibly exciting run for the playoffs, and the stadium was still empty.

9. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Based on what lol. la hasnt been successful in getting lesser teams so speculating they will get the fins is quite a reach

10. flynryan15

The sky is falling the sky is falling!

Lets be realistic Ross has failed at every big play he has attempted since becoming an NFL owner this will be no different he will lose the bid!

11. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

I've lived outside LA in the rolling hills of Ventura County. I've been to see the Rams and Raiders at the Coliseum and then Rams at Anaheim Stadium. Always plenty of seats available and a generally blase' crowd once you peeled back the hardcore layer. I also remember when the Seahawks tried to move their franchise to LA, already relocating their administrative office before the league intervened to prevent them. Also remember when Al Davis extorted $6million good faith money from the eastern city of Irwindale supposedly to build a stadium on one of their razed rock quarries. What a scumbag crook he was! I've been to Kings games when they they signed Gretzky and you couldn't get a seat at face value, and then after he was gone when you could pick up a couple from scalpers at less than face value.

The LA Metro area is a huge market, pretty affluent including the surrounding burbs so on paper it's a good market. However they are largely fair-weather fans and those who aren't have been emotionally involved in other teams for so long, it's not likely they'll quickly shift their allegiances. Long way of saying, they will back a team that's a novelty - for awhile, or a winner, but unless the game's not televised locally, the LA/Orange County market is far from a license to print money.

12. xXwarXx

xXwarXx Banned Hammered

IMO the only thing that keeps Miami in Miami is the taxes. Without that, this franchise Almost for certain would be gone.

13. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

uh oh, this doesn't sound like good news. I understand this is Ross' company and not the Dolphins directly, and it should be pointed out that Ross actually stepped down as CEO of Related back in September. Though he did make the statment that his role and activity in the buisness would not change, just the titles. So it would be obvious to conclude that Ross does have a hand in this bid for AEG, and the Los Angeles football proposal.

This may have absolutely NOTHING to do with the Miami Dolphins. Then again, it could have everything to do with it. Ross wants to keep the Dolphins in Miami and the proposed renovations prove that. If the stadium renovations are approved the team is going to sign a long term lease with Miami through 2034. Then all this relocation talk is not even happening. If the renovations don't get approved and Ross' company aquires the LA football plans, yikes! You can call it the "fear card" or whatever you want, but if Ross has both the unrenovated Sun Life Stadium and the future state of the art stadium in Los Angeles, where do you think he will want HIS team playing at? Attendance and local fan support for the Dolphins SUCKS, and yes long term in Los Angeles might not be better. However, initially the LA stadium will be packed you can guarantee it. Ross is 72, he probably doesn't really care if a team fails in LA 15-20 years down the road.

Call it fear, call it whatever you want. This is real people, we all should be worried.

14. JCane

JCane Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

Take a guess at how surprised I'd be if Ross packed up and headed out to West.

Hollywood Dolphins.

15. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Why would it be gone. Its a large tv market, the fans over the years have supported the team quite well and its a great place to have superbowls.

16. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 Smoke 'em Jay Finheaven VIP

I seriously doubt the NFL would approve of Miami losing the Dolphins. Ross is being an idiot if he is trying to bully the taxpayers into helping to fund the renovations. They just got screwed by the Marlins and Ross is only vilifying himself.

17. Nublar7

Perhaps the new logo is just going to be the same one with "LA" on the helmet instead of "M". :idk:

18. Thumper1016

Thumper1016 A True Fan

This seems like a strecth to say they are leaving but lets assume they do, will you guys still support the team?

19. xXwarXx

xXwarXx Banned Hammered

Because Ross is losing money, and spending his own money just so his own team won't get blacked out. And I'm pretty sure the NFL told Ross until the stadium is renovated, no super bowls will be placed there.

Outside of taxes, there's no reason for Ross to keep the team here. I dont think the team will leave, but it's way more realistic than people think.

This guy is a real estate mogul in NYC, you dont make billions of dollars in NYC real estate sitting around and doing nothing and making bad decisions.

20. TheJetsBlow

TheJetsBlow A True Fan

You people are ****ing hilarious. This has nothing to do with the Dolphins. I swear, people just love being negative about everything. I don't get the mindset.

21. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Yea fan support sucked this year, amazing what 4 straight losing seasons does for u. The NFl and Ross should be ashamed the way they do business at the taxpayers expense. Explain to me why the finalists for the superbowl both had to make major renovations or new stadiums. If this was a real process that served anything but milking taxpayers the finalists would be cities with stadiums up to par already in place. The superbowl bid has turned into a huge scam to try to milk public money for stadiums the nfl should be paying for.

22. flynryan15

There is a better chance of Levi and The Amish Mafia bringing the Dolphins to your area of Pennsylvania ;-)

23. Milk Man

Milk Man TriniDolFan

I think it's very premature to make this assumption as 1) what would Ross do with Miami stadium (Sun Life) which he owns if he moves the team to LA and 2) the NFL will not allow a team to leave the south Florida market for LA as it does not make the league any stronger - financially or otherwise.

More information required!!!

24. Nublar7

Honestly I don't think Ross is looking to move the team or trying to play a fear card. I think this is purely a business move for his company. I think he has every intention of renovating Sun Life Stadium and keeping the team in Miami for a long time. With that said, should the renovations fall through, the LA option could be on the table and could end up being Ross' "break glass in emergency" down the road.

25. IHearJimi

Would local investors like Marino and others buy the team and keep them here? Hope so

26. IHearJimi

We really need to read the damn article!

27. Nublar7

Bring back the Pottsville Maroons, the true 1925 NFL champions.

As for the Amish Mafia, here in Pennsylvania we laugh at how fake that show is and how gullible people are. I have watched a few episodes and it is entertaining to watch. Very fake, but still fun to watch.

28. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

I don't know what I would do if they relocated...unless it was to Colorado Springs....Hopefully Ross can renovate Sun Life and we can start winning...I think if we continue to lose and not make the playoffs that might be the reason we relocate, as much as the stadium issues and empty seats.

29. TheWalrus

TheWalrus 1/7/14 Finheaven VIP

I will indeed call it fear. I will also call it :lol:. Minnesota was much closer to losing the Vikings, yet... it didn't happen. Same with New Orleans. Same with the Jags, who every year are moving to London or Los Angeles except they never do. The Bills started playing half their home games in another country... then resigned with Buffalo.

NFL teams moving locations is a RARE occurrence, and Goodell's obvious zeitgiest is for more teams, not for teams moving. If the Dolphins left Miami you'd just have to put another team in Miami. It's stupid.

Even IF this is an intentional message -- which I doubt -- it's bush league intimidation at best. Ross had the opportunity to get in before the Marlins and get a new stadium in a prime location. The city commissioners were obviously ripe to be won over. But instead he decided to count his nickels and stay in the old stadium until Goodell finally pointed out that it's a dinosaur. I wish I could have been there when the realization finally hit Ross and crew. How painful that must have been, like having a guest come over and politely point out that your house smells like cat piss.

Not getting a new stadium is Ross' fault, and now he and the team have to pay for it. If he wants to make some half assed macho statement about taking the Dolphins out of Miami, let him. I'll be content to laugh.

30. matt11390

matt11390 Starter

Question. Lets say worst case the franchise was relocated. Would the city keep the nickname of "Dolphins" like Cleveland did with the Browns? If worst case happened, maybe a new owner would bring a new team a few years down the road and build a stadium with that Orange Bowl feel to give Miami a home field advantage.

31. Casas9425

Casas9425 A True Fan

No.

32. Nublar7

33. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

if they left would not support anything that Ross had a hand in.

34. hab321

hab321 Well-Known Member

Gee, one playoff appearance in what 8 years....no wonder the fans aren't coming. Consistant winning will bring the fans back, plain and simple. Not just a one year shot. The mismanagement of the franchise is the reason for low attendance.
    Secondarily, should the Dolphins move, I will never watch another one of their games (or any NFL games), I've been a loyal fan of the MIAMI Dolphins, and them alone.

Thumper1016 likes this.
  35. Dolfansal

Dolfansal Starter

Even when the stadium is not empty there are a TON of the opposing team fans.

You don't see that anywhere else. Only in miami!!!!!

36. SQuinn17

SQuinn17 League Dominator

Jags, bucs, chargers, raiders and chiefs management would disagree with your previous statement.

37. Dmarino110

Dmarino110 Starter

look at big market teams new york or philly, or small market teams like buffalo or greenbay...it doesnt matter what they do...win or lose people are going to show up (not saying they wont complain but they will show up)

Miami is at a disadvantage in that if the dolphins suck, I have 300,000,001 more things to do if its a nice day out and 200,000,002 if the weather is bad...all florida teams (outside of UF but we wont get into the Jorts wearing rednecks) have this issue...

In the end winning is the only thing that will bring people back...and not just 1 good season...we've been through 13 years of flat out sucking and havent been to a superbowl since 84...its gonna take a few seasons...

people keep saying the NFL wont let ross leave and I dont know why? the NFL let Houston leave, it let Cleveland leave...if ross decides he's leaving why would the NFL block him especially if it brings a team back to LA...

38. CattailsrEdible

CattailsrEdible Banned Hammered

It would serve Miami right if the dolphins move! The new generation of fans down there are the epitome of the entitlement generation! I think Puerto Rico would be a better destination though!

Mosquitoes Refuse To Bite Me

39. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

I am sure people in Baltimore were chuckling about the Colts "never moving away," until the Irsays filled up the moving vans and took the team to Indianapolis. The bottom line to Ross, and every other NFL owner, is not pleasing the fans, it is about MONEY...and that speaks a lot louder than anything else.

40. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

:rolleyes:

Ross will never move the team he isnt in this for money. The Dolphins have been a massive money drain for him.

However if attendances and tv figures dont improve and the next owner isnt a fan or a local, the people of Miami have plenty to worry about. Especially if the stadium doesbt tie the team to the city.