Sports Buzz 6/27- Dolphins roster battles

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Daytona Fin, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Burn the Jolly Roger Moderator Finheaven VIP

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...m-adds-player-heat-chatter.html#storylink=cpy

2. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Have you seen junior's grades ? Moderator Finheaven VIP

Friday Dolphin's chatter from Barry J

### Among the subplots we’ll be watching in training camp (first practice is July 25) are battles for backup positions on defense, several of which have become very competitive.
    At cornerback, Jalil Brown has made a strong case so far to make this team and perhaps even play ahead of Will Davis. But do you keep six corners, which seems excessive considering safety Jimmy Wilson plays in the nickel: Brent Grimes, Cortland Finnegan, Jamar Taylor (who are clearly your top three), Davis, Brown and rookie Walt Aikens?
    Impressive LSU rookie Anthony Johnson has a legitimate chance to beat out A.J. Francis and Isaako Aaitui for the No. 4 tackle spot. And undrafted rookies Garrison Smith (Georgia) and Kamal Johnson (Temple) also have earned consideration.
    At safety, three things are set: Reshad Jones and Louis Delmas as starters and Wilson as the nickel back. The fourth safety job is very close among Jordan Kovacs (the new management likes him), Don Jones (upside on special teams) and Michael Thomas (the end-of-game star against New England).
    ### Early reviews of defensive tackle Earl Mitchell have been encouraging.
    “They got a real good player,” Pro Bowl receiver Andre Johnson, his former Texans teammate, told me. “He’s not a real big dude [by behemoth defensive tackle standards] but he plays like a big dude.”

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...m-adds-player-heat-chatter.html#storylink=cpy

3. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Have you seen junior's grades ? Moderator Finheaven VIP

tie goes to the mod :lol:

Merge mine over here or just delete it.

4. Daytona Fin

Can't believe we can't find nobody to unseat Thigpen on returns. It's early yet and it sounds like Lazor might want incorporate him in the offense.

Sounds like Johnson is working his way to a roster spot. I'm not a betting man but if I was to put my money on UDFA making the roster it would be him.

JT has said in the past he wants to work in television but he seems to be building a resume for working within the Dolphins organization.

5. Buddy

Buddy Right Wing Nut Job Moderator Finheaven VIP

Didn't we recently sign some guy from Liberty that was supposed to have some serous speed and return skills? What ever happened to him?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

6. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

Yes that is disturbing and I'm pretty sure we've been looking for a replacement since we traded Bess. I do think Thigpen could be a good receiver though, he hasn't had many opportunities but wheh his number was called he made them count. I remember him making the extra effort for a first down and his TD was all effort.

7. Daytona Fin

Kevin Fogg, I believe who you are referring to. He is a DB and probably has a long way to go to making the roster unless he starts leaving everybody in the fog on returns. :lol:

8. Buddy

Buddy Right Wing Nut Job Moderator Finheaven VIP

Thanks, I couldn't remember the guy's name. I just want to see what kind of juice he has on returns. Maybe this preseason will show us something.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

9. cafinfan408

cafinfan408 Punching Bag

He also slowed down vs no and got tackled at the 2.

10. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

I think that the battle between Jordan Kovacs, Don Jones and Michael Thomas for the last roster Safety spot is probably accurate. From what I understand they are all decent on Special Teams. It will be a good tough contest. Kovacs and Thomas are two of the smartest and best character guys on the team. I'd like to keep both of them. Interesting side note about new front office liking Kovacs. The term "new front office" sounds like Dennis Hickey. We all know that Kovacs was genuinely loved by our owner Stephen Ross as Michigan Wolverine tackling warrior and inspiring walk on team captain and Ross even made the call to invite him as an undrafted free agent to join the Dolphins on camera. Last year, Kovacs was basically solely used on Special Teams, but did well and he should be bigger and better this year. Ross won't get involved but everyone in the Davie building knows he picks up every employee's salary. Don't understimate Jordan Kovacs, he is a potential team leader in the locker room if his play is good enough on the field.

11. spiketex

I still expect the player to watch in ousting Marcus Thigpen is Damian Williams, if he's healthy. Williams is an experienced NFL player from the Titans and he had a big time college record at USC to be the 77th player drafted in 2010 (3rd round). The Titans gave up on him because of lack of availability re injuries and pure output, but he definitely has talent. If now fully healthy he is playing for his career, so you know he is hungry. He is still only 26, 6'1" 193 lbs and also reportedly extremely high character. (Williams founded a campus Bible study group known as Generate USC along with longtime teammate Mitch Mustain at Southern Cal. The group evolved to 85 people per week. In 2012 and 2013 he led a team to Guatamala (maybe this year too?) building homes and teaching children. He is recognized as one of the standout guys in the whole NFL re giving back.
    Jarvis Landry has such good hands, he would be safe as a returner, but his upside as our designated slot receiver on the team is better. I still expect Thigpen to be dead meat.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2014
  12. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

I want to see more of the Brown kid at CB. If he can play and help the depth, that would be huge.

13. hoops

hoops exited stage left

sure sounds like will davis is in trouble...once the pads come on is when you can really see his issues...

jimmy wilson locking down that nickle job...

damian williams should be camp fodder...don't waste a spot on the 53 for that guy

14. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

man there are going to be a few of the lower roster guys I want to keep around not making the team. Guys that can play and contribute when we get in a bind.

15. So Be

So Be A True Fan

I have to again bring up how much worse our special team's blocking was to the year before in Thigpen's defense. It made a big difference.

16. spiketex

I see Will Davis as a boom or bust prospect. He consistently makes interceptions but the big question is whether he is physically strong enough to compete. I hear that Will took a one hand freak interception the other day. With the talent we have assembled at WR, Davis will have his work cut out beating the likes of Wallace, Hartline, Gibson and Landry. I still think that he has potentially better upside than Jamar Taylor, if his physical strength has significantly improved.

Agree to disagree re Damian Williams, if he's fully healthy.

17. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP

That is true but some of his decision making last year really made me scratch my head despite the blocking problems.

18. hoops

hoops exited stage left

davis is gonna have to tackle better to get run on specials even...his warts are already showing and the physical side of the game and the tackling required in our scheme hasn't even shown itself yet...both of which were very poor last year

as for williams as a returner i don't hate it i guess although i still think thiggy has a better feel for the job but as a wr that's a flat waste of time to keep...i'd play at least 5 guys and probably binns also before i would damian williams as a wr...and maybe this hazel kid too depending on how he shows come camp and the preseason...i know that williams is not an nfl caliber wr

i'm not keen on making jarvis landry the punt returner either...there's no doubt in my mind that he should be working his way into at minimum specific packages and sets in the offense...don't just ban him to specials cause we have other options...i'm sure once camp starts jarvis landry is gonna start creeping into some incumbents reps with the 1's etc...

19. Daytona Fin

Just saw this on Jackson's column. Probably a good time to take a break being it's the dullest time of year for sports.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/#storylink=cpy

20. So Be

So Be A True Fan

Yeah, team USA was a GREAT fill in but, now that's over. The only ting left is what the Heat are going to do, and the Marlins.

21. crumpdaddy

crumpdaddy Scout Team Finheaven VIP

TE and LB intrigue me most. as far as camp battles that is. sorry im hammered, and haven't posted hammered in awhile (since ive been on wagons) outside of clay where do we go. I really like gator, but where as he's a clay clone which is great, how many clays can you have playing at the same time. (Hoskins should make the 53 though!) but at the same time, you've dropped a top 4 draft pick on simms, egnew, and UGA guy (cant remember name and too drunk to look up, think lynch) so do you jump an UDFA ahead of any of the players you spent a min of a mid round pic on? and then LB, I want to see how our back up LB's pan out because I have no clue where or how the starting LB's will line up. as long as derrell Johnson makes team though im happy. I think Johnson ECU will at least earn a PS spot. if we try to stash gator on PS he'll be taken away if any team has a starting FB go down

22. Dolphin North

Dolphin North A True Fan

I think Thigpen is good to keep, especially if you don't have receiver and running back filled with a bunch of stars. He can play either spot in a pinch and often role guys like that have a great attitude and work ethic that rubs off on some other players (hopefully). I bet Lazor has thought of some ways to use his versatility and keep defenses off guard a bit, even if he is not an explosive or dominant player.

23. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i really appreciate the fact that you piggy back these kind of things on existing threads...and yeah you right perfect time for a couple week long break before camp...