Sports Buzz 6/27- Dolphins roster battles | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sports Buzz 6/27- Dolphins roster battles

Daytona Fin

Queeks Draw
Club Member
Reaction score
Some people inside the Dolphins wouldn’t mind conserving a roster spot by having Jarvis Landry replace Marcus Thigpen as the punt returner. Thigpen was 18th in kickoff returns, 19th in punt returns last season.

But offensive coordinator Bill Lazor likes Thigpen and the Dolphins will need to find a spot for him if he proves to be their best returner. Though Landry says he can return kicks and Lamar Miller can, too, none of the other players who fielded kickoffs last week besides Thigpen (Damian Williams, Matt Hazel and Rantavious Wooten) might even make the team.

### The Dolphins have been making preliminary inquiries about some available centers, though it remains to be seen whether Miami will bring in anyone for a visit or sign any of them.

Here’s how the remaining unsigned starting centers finished in the Pro Football Focus rankings last season, among 35 centers: Cincinnati’s Kyle Cook was 24th, Pittsburgh’s Fernando Velasquez 25th, Jacksonville’s Brad Meester 30th, and the Colts’ Samson Satele 31st.

Mike Pouncey, who is expected to miss two to six regular-season games, was 13th.

Among the subplots we’ll be watching in training camp (first practice is July 25) are battles for backup positions on defense, several of which have become very competitive.

At cornerback, Jalil Brown has made a strong case so far to make this team and perhaps even play ahead of Will Davis. But do you keep six corners, which seems excessive considering safety Jimmy Wilson plays in the nickel: Brent Grimes, Cortland Finnegan, Jamar Taylor (who are clearly your top three), Davis, Brown and rookie Walt Aikens?

Impressive LSU rookie Anthony Johnson has a legitimate chance to beat out A.J. Francis and Isaako Aaitui for the No. 4 tackle spot. And undrafted rookies Garrison Smith (Georgia) and Kamal Johnson (Temple) also have earned consideration.

At safety, three things are set: Reshad Jones and Louis Delmas as starters and Wilson as the nickel back. The fourth safety job is very close among Jordan Kovacs (the new management likes him), Don Jones (upside on special teams) and Michael Thomas (the end-of-game star against New England).

### Early reviews of defensive tackle Earl Mitchell have been encouraging.

“They got a real good player,” Pro Bowl receiver Andre Johnson, his former Texans teammate, told me. “He’s not a real big dude [by behemoth defensive tackle standards] but he plays like a big dude.”

Jason Taylor, who has been serving as a volunteer assistant at times during the Dolphins' offseason program, addressed a couple of issues on 790 The Ticket's morning show,

1) On his Dolphins role from here: "I did a little bit in OTAs and mini camp and I will probably do some in training camp. I hope they have me back. It's good to be around the guys again and do football and share some of the knowledge you were able to gain. We'll see if I can do a little bit more in training camp and take it from there."

2) On whether it makes sense for Dion Jordan to play special teams: "The thing about Dion is he is so athletic he gives you an advantage on [special teams]. The problem is taking a little bit of gas out of the tank [on defense]. I played on the punt and punt return team my first three years."

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...m-adds-player-heat-chatter.html#storylink=cpy

Friday Dolphin's chatter from Barry J

### Among the subplots we’ll be watching in training camp (first practice is July 25) are battles for backup positions on defense, several of which have become very competitive.
At cornerback, Jalil Brown has made a strong case so far to make this team and perhaps even play ahead of Will Davis. But do you keep six corners, which seems excessive considering safety Jimmy Wilson plays in the nickel: Brent Grimes, Cortland Finnegan, Jamar Taylor (who are clearly your top three), Davis, Brown and rookie Walt Aikens?
Impressive LSU rookie Anthony Johnson has a legitimate chance to beat out A.J. Francis and Isaako Aaitui for the No. 4 tackle spot. And undrafted rookies Garrison Smith (Georgia) and Kamal Johnson (Temple) also have earned consideration.
At safety, three things are set: Reshad Jones and Louis Delmas as starters and Wilson as the nickel back. The fourth safety job is very close among Jordan Kovacs (the new management likes him), Don Jones (upside on special teams) and Michael Thomas (the end-of-game star against New England).
### Early reviews of defensive tackle Earl Mitchell have been encouraging.
“They got a real good player,” Pro Bowl receiver Andre Johnson, his former Texans teammate, told me. “He’s not a real big dude [by behemoth defensive tackle standards] but he plays like a big dude.”

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...m-adds-player-heat-chatter.html#storylink=cpy

tie goes to the mod :lol:

Merge mine over here or just delete it.

Can't believe we can't find nobody to unseat Thigpen on returns. It's early yet and it sounds like Lazor might want incorporate him in the offense.

Sounds like Johnson is working his way to a roster spot. I'm not a betting man but if I was to put my money on UDFA making the roster it would be him.

JT has said in the past he wants to work in television but he seems to be building a resume for working within the Dolphins organization.

Can't believe we can't find nobody to unseat Thigpen on returns. It's early yet and it sounds like Lazor might want incorporate him in the offense.

Sounds like Johnson is working his way to a roster spot. I'm not a betting man but if I was to put my money on UDFA making the roster it would be him.

JT has said in the past he wants to work in television but he seems to be building a resume for working within the Dolphins organization.

Didn't we recently sign some guy from Liberty that was supposed to have some serous speed and return skills? What ever happened to him?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Yes that is disturbing and I'm pretty sure we've been looking for a replacement since we traded Bess. I do think Thigpen could be a good receiver though, he hasn't had many opportunities but wheh his number was called he made them count. I remember him making the extra effort for a first down and his TD was all effort.

Didn't we recently sign some guy from Liberty that was supposed to have some serous speed and return skills? What ever happened to him?

Kevin Fogg, I believe who you are referring to. He is a DB and probably has a long way to go to making the roster unless he starts leaving everybody in the fog on returns. :lol:

Kevin Fogg, I believe who you are referring to. He is a DB and probably has a long way to go to making the roster unless he starts leaving everybody in the fog on returns. :lol:

Thanks, I couldn't remember the guy's name. I just want to see what kind of juice he has on returns. Maybe this preseason will show us something.

He also slowed down vs no and got tackled at the 2.

I think that the battle between Jordan Kovacs, Don Jones and Michael Thomas for the last roster Safety spot is probably accurate. From what I understand they are all decent on Special Teams. It will be a good tough contest. Kovacs and Thomas are two of the smartest and best character guys on the team. I'd like to keep both of them. Interesting side note about new front office liking Kovacs. The term "new front office" sounds like Dennis Hickey. We all know that Kovacs was genuinely loved by our owner Stephen Ross as Michigan Wolverine tackling warrior and inspiring walk on team captain and Ross even made the call to invite him as an undrafted free agent to join the Dolphins on camera. Last year, Kovacs was basically solely used on Special Teams, but did well and he should be bigger and better this year. Ross won't get involved but everyone in the Davie building knows he picks up every employee's salary. Don't understimate Jordan Kovacs, he is a potential team leader in the locker room if his play is good enough on the field.

I still expect the player to watch in ousting Marcus Thigpen is Damian Williams, if he's healthy. Williams is an experienced NFL player from the Titans and he had a big time college record at USC to be the 77th player drafted in 2010 (3rd round). The Titans gave up on him because of lack of availability re injuries and pure output, but he definitely has talent. If now fully healthy he is playing for his career, so you know he is hungry. He is still only 26, 6'1" 193 lbs and also reportedly extremely high character. (Williams founded a campus Bible study group known as Generate USC along with longtime teammate Mitch Mustain at Southern Cal. The group evolved to 85 people per week. In 2012 and 2013 he led a team to Guatamala (maybe this year too?) building homes and teaching children. He is recognized as one of the standout guys in the whole NFL re giving back.
Jarvis Landry has such good hands, he would be safe as a returner, but his upside as our designated slot receiver on the team is better. I still expect Thigpen to be dead meat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to see more of the Brown kid at CB. If he can play and help the depth, that would be huge.

sure sounds like will davis is in trouble...once the pads come on is when you can really see his issues...

jimmy wilson locking down that nickle job...

damian williams should be camp fodder...don't waste a spot on the 53 for that guy

man there are going to be a few of the lower roster guys I want to keep around not making the team. Guys that can play and contribute when we get in a bind.

I have to again bring up how much worse our special team's blocking was to the year before in Thigpen's defense. It made a big difference.

Back
Top Bottom