Stadium Renovation NOT on delegations list of priorities | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Stadium Renovation NOT on delegations list of priorities

Do your research, the Super Bowl has barely made any economic impact the last several times they hosted here compared to years that Miami didn't have a Super Bowl. The ones who benefits are the corporate people of Holiday Inn's, Marriott's, and other hotels and restaurant owners. Employee checks of servers/bellboys also benefits. What exactly does that do for Miami? Nothing.

There are as many or more that say the opposite. To me it's common sense. If more ppl are going to arrive at destination for an event, that would in turn bring in more money to that area if that event was not there.

Honestly, there are so many issues with budgets both at the state level and city level, this money is better off spent on things more important than sports.

The money can not be used for anything but sports franchises expanding their facilities. Dee made that very very very very very clear in their PC concerning this.

There is so much misinformation with this subject it's scary. I have no doubt it will not happen, and we will in turn get less Super Bowls and in time we will lose the Dolphins to another city. Some ppl never let the facts get in the way of their agenda.

And wtf man, you don't even live in Florida let alone Miami.

We have real important issues in this state...

Corporate welfare isn't worthwhile.

Enough of that garbage...sick of my fees taxes and rates going up to subsidize corporate welfare.
Interesting because if the location on your avatar is correct you live in Palm Beach county so if there was a tax hike (which my understanding is the only taxes that go up would only effect tourists) it wouldn't effect you anyway.

Interesting because if the location on your avatar is correct you live in Palm Beach county so if there was a tax hike (which my understanding is the only taxes that go up would only effect tourists) it wouldn't effect you anyway.
Exactly, tourists are the ones who will be paying for the renovations. I am not a local so I am considered a tourist when I come down for Dolphins games. I am perfectly fine with them taxing me to upgrade the stadium.

Then you would want them to get the renovations. It would bring in more tax dollars to spend on highway projects. The proposed taxes are taxes that would come from tourist staying in hotels, it's called a bed tax. It would push it to 7%. States like NY have their bed taxes at or near 17%.
Wrong, I would want them to use the money on the state highways on the first place. I find it amusing that you're saying "only tourists will pay" like it's some kind of acceptable excuse. What do you think the tourists tax money pays for now?

Exactly, tourists are the ones who will be paying for the renovations. I am not a local so I am considered a tourist when I come down for Dolphins games. I am perfectly fine with them taxing me to upgrade the stadium.

The bulk of the money is actually coming from sales tax rebates, which has been reported at $3 million per year for 30 years. This is a good deal for both sides, because the city/county/state doesn't have to come up with a bunch of cash up front, thus diverting money away from things like education. It basically means that Steven Ross wont have to pay sales tax at his stadium for 30 years - which I am fine with. One of the stipulations in that deal is that the stadium has to be over 20 years old, meaning if this deal goes through, there will likely be no new stadium in Miami for a long time unless Ross or a future owner would be willing to forfeit the tax credits.

Here is the entire bill where you can follow it through the house process: http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2013/0306

Wrong, I would want them to use the money on the state highways on the first place. I find it amusing that you're saying "only tourists will pay" like it's some kind of acceptable excuse. What do you think the tourists tax money pays for now?

Dude it's standard procedure for cities to charge a bed tax. The fact is, Miami, which is a major tourist city, its bed tax is far below most other big tourist cities. And again, these taxes in the state of Florida can only be used to help Florida sport teams with their stadium needs, at least that is my understanding. They can not be used to fund any highway projects.

The whole "super bowl will create jobs" line is getting kinda old when theres so many people that have the ability to work but prefer to stay on welfare. So this whole line about corporate welfare is just baloney when im sick and tired of my tax dollars helping a bunch of wasted low lifes who depend on the gov cheese to stay afloat. Either way, someone has to pay.

The whole "super bowl will create jobs" line is getting kinda old when theres so many people that have the ability to work but prefer to stay on welfare. So this whole line about corporate welfare is just baloney when im sick and tired of my tax dollars helping a bunch of wasted low lifes who depend on the gov cheese to stay afloat. Either way, someone has to pay.

So, people who use tax payer money to not starve to death: low life scum.
Corporation privatizing their profits while socializing their losses/costs: perfectly acceptable.

Interesting view of the world you have.

Dude it's standard procedure for cities to charge a bed tax. The fact is, Miami, which is a major tourist city, its bed tax is far below most other big tourist cities. And again, these taxes in the state of Florida can only be used to help Florida sport teams with their stadium needs, at least that is my understanding. They can not be used to fund any highway projects.

1) I have never heard that bed tax can ONLY be used for sports teams.

2) Introduce legislation that allows taxes to be spent on construction. Problem solved.

1) I have never heard that bed tax can ONLY be used for sports teams.

2) Introduce legislation that allows taxes to be spent on construction. Problem solved.

lol why would anyone want to do that? They have been redoing the 595 area since I moved away from Miami in 1998, and they will prob never stop. It's not due to a lack of money.

lol why would anyone want to do that? They have been redoing the 595 area since I moved away from Miami in 1998, and they will prob never stop. It's not due to a lack of money.

Your totally right, i mean the obvious answer is give the money away to a private business. Its not like hospitals and schools ever need to be built or cops and firefighters need to be trained. Its completely sane to just let the roads decay because...well, it is going to happen even if they keep working on it!

Investing it into Sun Life Stadium is a shrewd move, its not like that place has ever needed renovation before, this is just a one and done thing.

After Huizenga bought part of the stadium, it was extensively renovated to accommodate a baseball team, as part of his successful bid to bring baseball to south Florida...

Aside from baseball renovations, the stadium has undergone some permanent renovations. In April 2006, the stadium unveiled two Daktronics large video boards, the largest in professional sports at the time...

In addition, the upgrades include vastly widened 40,000-square-foot (3,700 m[SUP]2[/SUP]) concourses on the stadium’s north and south sides. Bars, lounges and other amenities have also been added.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Life_Stadium

Your totally right, i mean the obvious answer is give the money away to a private business. Its not like hospitals and schools ever need to be built or cops and firefighters need to be trained. Its completely sane to just let the roads decay because...well, it is going to happen even if they keep working on it!

Investing it into Sun Life Stadium is a shrewd move, its not like that place has ever needed renovation before, this is just a one and done thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Life_Stadium

Sorry although the stadium is a private entity, in no way does it fit into the AVG definition. It's a stadium that was built privately because the city of Miami was too cheap to do what it should have done to keep the Dolphins in Miami. Thankfully Joe Robbie was a man with a conscience and he decided to do something for his legacy rather than his pocket book. It cost him and his family in spades. IMO it's about damn time the ppl of Miami did the right thing when it came to the Miami Dolphins. If they play the poor mouth game with this owner, in time it won't be the Miami Dolphins for very long.

Having a sports franchise in your city is privilege not a right. If Miami won't do the right thing, there are plenty of cities out there that would be very happy to pony up for a new stadium to have the Miami Dolphins in their city.

Sorry although the stadium is a private entity, in no way does it fit into the AVG definition. It's a stadium that was built privately because the city of Miami was too cheap to do what it should have done to keep the Dolphins in Miami. Thankfully Joe Robbie was a man with a conscience and he decided to do something for his legacy rather than his pocket book. It cost him and his family in spades. IMO it's about damn time the ppl of Miami did the right thing when it came to the Miami Dolphins. If they play the poor mouth game with this owner, in time it won't be the Miami Dolphins for very long.

Having a sports franchise in your city is privilege not a right. If Miami won't do the right thing, there are plenty of cities out there that would be very happy to pony up for a new stadium to have the Miami Dolphins in their city.

The beauty of American sports: let me socialize my costs or im leaving. Dress it up however you like, it still boils down to blackmail. And personally, if i was a politician agreeing to this deal, id be worried about it and doing all my due diligence. Tax payers are paying for the baseball stadium until 2049, and the Dolphins are $230 million in debt from their LAST set of renovations. What happens in 5 years when our owner decides to dress the stadium up some more?

But hey, if some roads cant be maintained or a hospital cant be built, no worries, you can just walk(youd be forced to walk) to the stadium to enjoy some good ole' fashion football. After you buy a ticket of course.

Back
Top Bottom