State of MLS | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

State of MLS

minus

Perennial All-Pro
☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
How MLS doing?Is the league heading in the right direction?How the attendance?

It is okay, ask Ice, he knows more then me when it comes to MLS. I think it is doing okay, but If the star players would stop trying to help this league which is not going to get much better, they could go to Europe and their skills could flourish.

I guess the league expanding to Utah is good news but I would like to know if the league fan base is increasing or not.

The attendance has gone up every year. The team with the best attendance in the league, the LA Galaxy, gets 22000 fans a game. Freddy Adu has really helped attendance, DC United is by far the leader in road attendance because of Adu even though he only plays around 10 minutes a game.

As for the league itself, it is headed in the right direction. They got rid of overtime and the quality of play improves every year. There are quite a few things that are holding the league back however. One major problem is soccer fans in the USA. Many of them don't like or watch the league because they think the quality is bad and think watching MLS is below them. The league will never improve if people refuse to watch. 79000 people can go to a Manchester United game at Giants Stadium, but you will never see 25000 go to a MetroStars game. Another major problem with the league is player contracts and salaries. The league has a strict salary cap and maximum salary (they ignored the maximum salary when signing Adu though). In the NFL and NBA, having a salary cap is good. However, it is bad in soccer because it prevents the MLS from competing with other leagues for players. Another problem is that the league controls player contracts. The league should let individual teams control who they sign and who they sell. Also, another thing that would make the league better would be reducing the playoffs to two teams per conference. Right now four teams in each conference make it and having 80% of the league in the playoffs is stupid. The MLS has made steps in the right direction, but I think the league could benefit by letting individual teams control player contracts and by getting rid of the salary cap and maximum salary. If they got rid of the maximum salary and salary cap, the talent level of the league would grow more.

Can you find 10-12 owners that are willing to pour funds into the MLS franchises though, Ice?

The salary cap is low because the league does not want anymore teams folding and getting out of hand because an owner wants to make some big-name signings but wont foot the bill if it backfires, leaving the league in a mess. You have to crawl before you walk.

Most people feel they are above watching MLS because in actuality they probobly are. It is equivalent to watching MLB(European leagues) or Class 'A' or 'AA' minor league(MLS). The quality is nowhere near being close yet, but the league is only 10 years old. It is rediculous to expect it to be much better than it already is right now. Leagues need time to grow, and right now MLS is BRAND NEW, in the grand scheme of things.

If I lived in an MLS city I would go to the games, but I don't so I don't havemuch interest in a 'minor' league when I can be watching better players in better leagues around the world. If MLS becomes one of the 'big boys' I'll gladly watch it, but until then I have little interest in watching KC versus Dallas. I watch some of the 'bigger' MLS matches and try to tune in and catch the legitimate prospects to see how they are developing, but that is all. Maybe that will change in the coming years.

Back
Top Bottom