Stephen Hill's agent called out Rex Ryan | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Stephen Hill's agent called out Rex Ryan

Spesh

#freespesh
Reaction score
Alan Herman claimed Hill, whom the Jets had been trying to trade for weeks, was victimized by circumstances and a lack of opportunity.

"I'm disappointed in Rex because I don't think he publicly supported Stephen like he should have," Herman told ESPN.com. "You never hear him call out his defensive guys. I don't see him criticizing Kyle Wilson or Quinton Coples. So, yeah, I'm disappointed. I think the Jets have to accept part of the blame. I think he deserved one more year. I just think the Jets should've stuck with him for another year."

Hill never was a Ryan favorite, going back as far as draft day, 2012. In a post-draft interview, Ryan questioned the decision to trade two draft choices to move up for Hill in the second round. Later, Ryan backtracked, saying Hill was rated highly on their draft board. In fact, he was rated 14th on the board, according to a source.

Herman also said Hill's development was undermined by the instability at quarterback.

"The quarterback situation with [Mark] Sanchez and [Tim] Tebow was obviously a disaster; it wasn't right for a young player," Herman told ESPN.com, alluding to 2012, Hill's rookie year. "Last year, Geno [Smith] was thrown into a difficult situation and the offense was limited. Stephen's bread-and-butter is the deep ball, which we rarely saw. Stephen needs an established quarterback situation to help him realize his potential."

At the start of training camp, Hill was thought to be a lock, but he was doomed by the same inconsistent play that marred his first two seasons. Herman said Hill didn't get a fair shake in the preseason. While it's true that Hill was targeted only eight times in four games (for three catches), it should be noted that he played more snaps in the preseason (119) than any other wide receiver.

Hampered by injuries and costly drops, Hill made only 45 receptions for 594 yards and four touchdowns in two seasons. The Jets have been criticized for picking him over Alshon Jeffery, who has emerged as a star with the Chicago Bears.

Despite Hill's lack of familiarity in a pro-style offense -- he played in the triple option at Georgia Tech -- he was rushed into the starting lineup as a rookie. He caught two touchdowns in his first game, but faded.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/11436087/new-york-jets-cut-stephen-hill

Obviously covering for his guy...but still makes a fair point. Rex is quick to throw offensive players into the preseason ga....err, under the bus. Meanwhile, why in the hell is Kyle Wilson still on that roster?

I know Rex can be an ass but is it smart for the agent to call out a coach like that? I mean the guy should have other clients right? Doesn't calling out the head coach of a team make it difficult should he want to get another client signed with the Jets? Just doesn't seem like a smart move on this guy's part.

Also of this Hill guy is as great as the agent claims, why didn't anyone want to trade for him? I get that teams figured he would get cut, however if he is that good teams would have traded for him if he was good.

To be fair Rex was smart to question trading two draft picks for Stephen Hill. He clearly wasn't worth it for us. I'm also willing to bet Rex is very tough on his defense. Everyone knows Rex takes great pride in his D.

I think Hill has a world of potential but the book on him is that he just isn't a "football player" for whatever thats worth.

Using my own judgement on him I saw a guy who

1. Had great straight line speed but was a poor route runner

2. Had shaky hands at best

3. Was terrible at going up and fighting for the ball. He's 6'4 but played like he was 5'10. I saw a lot of deep throws to him where instead of going up and using his size to his advantage he waited for the ball to land in his hands. It rarely did. When your 6'4 you should play like it. Hill simply didn't.

A great offensive minded Head Coach might be able to save his career. Otherwise I think he might just kick around the league for a year or two before disappearing. Hope i'm wrong, he seemed like a good guy.

To be fair Rex was smart to question trading two draft picks for Stephen Hill. He clearly wasn't worth it for us. I'm also willing to bet Rex is very tough on his defense. Everyone knows Rex takes great pride in his D.

I think Hill has a world of potential but the book on him is that he just isn't a "football player" for whatever thats worth.

Using my own judgement on him I saw a guy who

1. Had great straight line speed but was a poor route runner

2. Had shaky hands at best

3. Was terrible at going up and fighting for the ball. He's 6'4 but played like he was 5'10. I saw a lot of deep throws to him where instead of going up and using his size to his advantage he waited for the ball to land in his hands. It rarely did. When your 6'4 you should play like it. Hill simply didn't.

A great offensive minded Head Coach might be able to save his career. Otherwise I think he might just kick around the league for a year or two before disappearing. Hope i'm wrong, he seemed like a good guy.

Don't know if you're on JI, which IMO is the most robust and objective jets forum, but there's a 15 page thread reaction to Hill being cut. Naturally with that many responses, the opinions are diverse and blame-assessments varied, but the general consensus is that he is a good guy who tried hard but just failed. According to those posters, the team actually gave up a their 2, a 5th and 7th to trade up for him. Is that accurate? They almost universally blame Tannenbaum for that and some also blame him for trading a 4th to get Tebow that year. (however I agree with the contingent who believe Woody ordered Tannenbaum to trade for him and is a dick for then telling prospective GMs that BabyJesus was forced on him.)

When you factor in that Terry Bradway was a huge Russell Wilson supporter, urging Tannenbaum to draft him, considering that he could have been had anywhere in the second without a trade or even trading up in the 3rd and that it apparently fell on deaf ears while Mike instead, was putting the team in cap hell by extending a butt hurt Sanchez after PManning ignored a recruiting call from Woodie, then hell, that was a bad omen for Tannenbaum and the Jets of things to come.

Not to say that Ireland didn't also screw the pooch often but in an analogous example, trading up for Daniel Thomas. :idk:

Don't know if you're on JI, which IMO is the most robust and objective jets forum, but there's a 15 page thread reaction to Hill being cut. Naturally with that many responses, the opinions are diverse and blame-assessments varied, but the general consensus is that he is a good guy who tried hard but just failed. According to those posters, the team actually gave up a their 2, a 5th and 7th to trade up for him. Is that accurate? They almost universally blame Tannenbaum for that and some also blame him for trading a 4th to get Tebow that year. (however I agree with the contingent who believe Woody ordered Tannenbaum to trade for him and is a dick for then telling prospective GMs that BabyJesus was forced on him.)

When you factor in that Terry Bradway was a huge Russell Wilson supporter, urging Tannenbaum to draft him, considering that he could have been had anywhere in the second without a trade or even trading up in the 3rd and that it apparently fell on deaf ears while Mike instead, was putting the team in cap hell by extending a butt hurt Sanchez after PManning ignored a recruiting call from Woodie, then hell, that was a bad omen for Tannenbaum and the Jets of things to come.

Not to say that Ireland didn't also screw the pooch often but in an analogous example, trading up for Daniel Thomas. :idk:

Your correct on what the Jets gave up for Hill. It was a huge error. Tannenbaum got off to such a great start as the Jets GM draft wise. He drafted Ferguson, Mangold, Brad Smith, Leon Washington, Drew Coleman, and Eric Smith in his first draft. Some guys were better then others but a lot of those guys contributed to the Jets or some other team (in Leon's case) for a good while. Then he drafted Revis and Harris the following year. But from 2008-2012 his drafts left a lot to be desired. I've said this time and time again. Tannenbaums legacy to me comes down to having the number 6 pick in 2008 and number 5 pick in 2009. With those picks he selected Vernon Gholston and Mark. You can't strike out in the top ten in back to back years in this league. Eventually that will catch up to you and it did.

You can't go back and play the what if game, but if Gholston became the type of player the Jets thought him to be when drafted, like a Aldon Smith or something, that does wonders for their defense. They would have really been hell on wheels in 2009 and 2010. If Mark turned out to be worthy of the number 5 selection overall, that would have solved a lot of other issues on the offense. But obviously neither happened and those picks killed us in the long run. To be fair in Mark's case, he was the consensus #2 rated QB in that draft class, the Jets didn't reach for him. Lots of teams liked him. Gholston, I remember people questioning his toughness and lots of scouts thought he was just a guy with a great physique and natural ability who (like Hill) wasn't a "football player".

The Hill pick was a huge gamble because the guy was not a pure receiver. He caught 49 balls in 3 years at Georgia Tech. Tannenbaum drafted him based off of potential and put us in such a bad spot cap wise by that time that Hill was rushed into the starting lineup because the Jets had no other options to really go with. I'm still not totally sure who takes the majority of the blame for Tebow. I believe Tannenbaum has said since getting fired that he takes full responsibility for trading for Tebow. I don't know if he's covering for Woody or not. I don't see the reason for him to now that he's not employed by the Jets anymore though. His reasoning (which I actually kinda believe) was that the Jets felt they lost a lot when Brad Smith left the team after 2010, they were so caught up with trying to get Nmandi that they let some good guys walk out the door who really were important pieces of their 2009-2010 teams. They thought Tebow could come in and take Brad Smith's WC role, while contributing on specials as well. The problem with that is the media hype that Tebow brings. He could be similar to Smith as a player, but not as a figure. If I had to guess i'd bet Woody brought up Tebow to Tannenbaum and Tannenbaum told him he could make it work. But who knows.

The overall drafting of offensive players under Rex has been very bad. Rex, his OC's, and the scouting department headed by the Tannenbaum have to take blame for that. It's to early to really judge Idzik's draft yet but the offensive guys drafted by Tannenbaum have been especially bad. The only offensive guys drafted under Tannenbaum, still on the team, of any merit are Ferguson, Mangold, Kerley, and Powell.

Ferguson and Mangold are both very good O-Lineman. Kerley is a nice slot player and Powell is a quality third string RB who can step in for a guy who gets hurt. Tannebaum missed big with...

Mark- 1st round, 5th overall
Vlad Duccasse- 2nd round O-Lineman
Stephen Hill- 2nd round WR drafted ahead of Alshon Jeffrey

I know Rex can be an ass but is it smart for the agent to call out a coach like that? I mean the guy should have other clients right? Doesn't calling out the head coach of a team make it difficult should he want to get another client signed with the Jets? Just doesn't seem like a smart move on this guy's part.

Also of this Hill guy is as great as the agent claims, why didn't anyone want to trade for him? I get that teams figured he would get cut, however if he is that good teams would have traded for him if he was good.

Soliai's agent did nothing but bash Ireland and the Fins a lot on twitter last year.

Soliai's agent did nothing but bash Ireland and the Fins a lot on twitter last year.

David Canter?

Funny, I just heard him say on the radio he thinks Miami is a good team that will win 10 games. He's certainly not a guy who boosts the team so that made me feel a little better about our chances.

David Canter?

Funny, I just heard him say on the radio he thinks Miami is a good team that will win 10 games. He's certainly not a guy who boosts the team so that made me feel a little better about our chances.

He more or less was bashing Ireland and Sherman all season.

Yeah he ripped Mike Sherman real hard. Not a Philbin fan, either.

The only person Stephen hill should be pointing the finger at for his failures as a pro is Stephen hill...

These guys are self serving clowns. They have an excuse for everything...Tebow...Geno Smiths rookie year..etc. Hysterical that they then point to Cleveland as a good landing place with the Tebowesque QB circus going on with Hoyer/Manzel! Guess another built in excuse already planned

To be fair, Hill hasn't said a word. This is coming for him agent who is just trying to do what he can to build up his value for other teams.

Oh I'm sure...trying to sell everyone a **** sandwich

What? Read all the quotes. Do you see one from Hill?

His agent is clearly saying these things to try and build up Hill's value. Hill hasn't said a word.

and i'm saying his agent wants people to take on a **** sandwish player...hill is horrible...with the jets or with anyone else...he needs to go play flag football

Back
Top Bottom