Stephen Ross | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Stephen Ross

Phin-Phan 66

Cunning Linguist
Reaction score
Our owner, Stephen Ross has been getting a lot of bashing on here lately. Some of it deserved I guess, but not becuase he is a bad owner - I think he is a great owner. He did make a big mistake this week, but I don't blame him for it. I'll get to my explanation for that comment in a minute but before I do, I want to say that you guys are a tough crowd.

If we had a tightwad owner that wouldn't spend a dime, everyone would hate him (as would I).
We have an owner that has done nothing but show his desire to write the big check when asked and yet, half of you still bash him.

This guy is a lifelong Dolphin fan. He grew up down here loving the Dolphins. He went to Miami Beach High and UF, then graduated from Michigan. When he made it big and became a multi-billionaire he did what all of us die hard fans dream of - he bought his favorite team.

Many die hard fans who bought their favorite team would become the next Jerry Jones - thinking that since they are fans and have money - they can do whatever they wanted and be successful - he didn't do that. He went out and hired a respected football mind (Parcells) and let him run things.

(this is from another thread, but I though it deserved your attention so I started another)
Put yourselves in Stephen Ross' shoes.
Ross wants to stay out of the way, write the checks, and let the football people run the football side of things.
So far - that's the way it should be, right?

When the product on the field isn't up to par, you decide you want a change. Who do you go to to guide that change? You would normally go to your fearless leader - your football czar, Bill Parcells in this case. What happens when your football czar quits? You put your trust in the second banana - Jeff Ireland.

Ross' mistake was trusting his defacto football czar Jeff Ireland. Ireland is the one who should have enlightened our owner on how to confidentially conduct a coaching search. Ross isn't a football guy - but Ireland is. He is to blame for the bad public search we endured. He should have advised his owner better.

What Steve Ross should have done, and will eventually do, is clean house and bring in a new football czar.
My only hope is that the new football czar in Miami is Bill Cowher, not Carl Petersen.
Give Bill Cowher full control. Control to hire a GM, new scouts, new coordinators, the works.
Then, get out of his way and write the checks.

Ross is exactly the kind of owner I want for my team. The kind with deep pockets and a desire to win.

While I've been bashing Ross about this whole fiasco, I think that the bigger problem here is the influence of Carl Peterson. From all of the reports I've read it seems as though Carl Peterson was involved with this from the start. I'm not sure if Ross contacted him or vice versa, but in either case Peterson seemed to be a major driving force during this whole fiasco.

The major part of this debacle that I didn't agree with was the handling of Tony Sparano - it's almost like they hung him out to dry, which of course backfired. Carl Peterson did this in KC before to Gunther Cunningham (who found out through the team website that he was fired) - that's why I believe Carl Peterson was a big part of this debacle. Hopefully one good thing that comes from this fiasco is that Ross won't listen to Carl Peterson about team matters anymore (highly doubtful though, since they seem to be good friends).

At first we heard Petersen was on the plane with Ross & Ireland.
Later I heard, Petersen wasn't on the plane with Ross & Ireland.

I'm not sure if he was or he wasn't, but I do know I don't want Petersen involved in running this team.
Petersen was the definition of mediocre when he was involved day to day in running the Chiefs. Now, several years removed from day to day football operations, he can only be worse than he was then.

If you've got the money Ross has, and the desire to be the best, you should hire the best.
At this point in time, I think Bill Cowher is the best available person to run the show in Miami.

Ross doesnt know what he wants. He should of fired Sparono, Ireland, and went out and made a serious attempt for Cowher or Harbaugh. Not a half thought out plan of flying across the country just to "talk" to Harbaugh without even making the guy an offer.

Then he seeks the advic of Eric Mangini? Are you kidding me? Ross is proving to be one of the worst owners out there in sports. This team is going nowhere because of him.

If Cowher wanted his own GM, he should of made the deal on the spot. Ireland and Sparono are just Parcells puppets who are in over their head.

Ross' intention are in the right place. He sure sounds a whole lot smarter than Huizenga ever did.

Listening to Ireland at that round-table discussion made me hate him even more. The guy smells, looks, and carries himself like a flaming douchebag. If I have to hear Ireland say one more time,"We're doing our due diligince..." it will be a day too soon! He was probably the person that convinced Ross we were Nolan, Marshall, and Dansby from making it to the Super Bowl. Such an arrogant a$$hole. His roster churning is the definition of somebody that lacks any conviction. We'll see what brand new acorns he'll add this offseason. Hopefully he doesn't f*ck us by throwing future picks at a Qb ANOTHER team developed.

Ross is somehow getting clowned by that punk. He's doing the right thing by trusting his G.M. and coaches to make the right football decisions. But unfortunately he hasn't realized he has two legitimate morons working for him. Oh well, he'll learn after he's been abused a couple more times. It's sad because some of us see it from a mile away.

Our owner, Stephen Ross has been getting a lot of bashing on here lately. Some of it deserved I guess, but not becuase he is a bad owner - I think he is a great owner. He did make a big mistake this week, but I don't blame him for it. I'll get to my explanation for that comment in a minute but before I do, I want to say that you guys are a tough crowd.

If we had a tightwad owner that wouldn't spend a dime, everyone would hate him (as would I).
We have an owner that has done nothing but show his desire to write the big check when asked and yet, half of you still bash him.

This guy is a lifelong Dolphin fan. He grew up down here loving the Dolphins. He went to Miami Beach High and UF, then graduated from Michigan. When he made it big and became a multi-billionaire he did what all of us die hard fans dream of - he bought his favorite team.

Many die hard fans who bought their favorite team would become the next Jerry Jones - thinking that since they are fans and have money - they can do whatever they wanted and be successful - he didn't do that. He went out and hired a respected football mind (Parcells) and let him run things.

(this is from another thread, but I though it deserved your attention so I started another)
Put yourselves in Stephen Ross' shoes.
Ross wants to stay out of the way, write the checks, and let the football people run the football side of things.
So far - that's the way it should be, right?

When the product on the field isn't up to par, you decide you want a change. Who do you go to to guide that change? You would normally go to your fearless leader - your football czar, Bill Parcells in this case. What happens when your football czar quits? You put your trust in the second banana - Jeff Ireland.

Ross' mistake was trusting his defacto football czar Jeff Ireland. Ireland is the one who should have enlightened our owner on how to confidentially conduct a coaching search. Ross isn't a football guy - but Ireland is. He is to blame for the bad public search we endured. He should have advised his owner better.

What Steve Ross should have done, and will eventually do, is clean house and bring in a new football czar.
My only hope is that the new football czar in Miami is Bill Cowher, not Carl Petersen.
Give Bill Cowher full control. Control to hire a GM, new scouts, new coordinators, the works.
Then, get out of his way and write the checks.

Ross is exactly the kind of owner I want for my team. The kind with deep pockets and a desire to win.

Ross did not hire Parcels.

How do you know that Ireland did not advise Ross against the trip and Ross said FU it's my team I want a new HC?

Ross did not hire Parcels.

How do you know that Ireland did not advise Ross against the trip and Ross said FU it's my team I want a new HC?

You are correct, Wayne hired Parcells. But the point was Ross didn't have Parcells to guide this search. He had Ireland, and Ireland should have made the coaching search debacle much more transparent than it was.
I blame Ireland, not a newbie owner.

I'm very happy to have Steve Ross with his deep pockets and desire to win owning this team.

agrees w/ the OP. granted, ross inherited quite a mess when he got here, plus new to football business, it's fair to say ross isn't doing miserably.

it's also fair for us to give him a little bit of slack for missing out on some things here and there as he's new to the football scene.

i love your idea about bringing Cowher in as GM. And then if Sparano bombs, he could take control.

it reminds me of how the miami heat have been developing under pat riley. a coach with championships w/ 2 different teams developing an understudy coach/and when things go awry, he could step in an coach if it is necessary. every year, they contend for championships and continue to grow- both in leadership on and off the court.

thumbs up

I like him, even if I'm not thrilled with everything he does and I'm still pretty pissed at him about the status quo, but I feel like when he really learns how to be an NFL owner, he's / we are going to be dangerous to the rest of the league.

You are correct, Wayne hired Parcells. But the point was Ross didn't have Parcells to guide this search. He had Ireland, and Ireland should have made the coaching search debacle much more transparent than it was.
I blame Ireland, not a newbie owner.

I'm very happy to have Steve Ross with his deep pockets and desire to win owning this team.

Thats cool, I hope you are right because the alternative is we have our very own dan synder in south beach.

I do agree that if Jeff Ireland did not warn Ross this was a bad idea to go about things the way he did it was a terrible reflection of him. I really think they underestimated us tracking the plane and thought they could pull this off unnoticed. I have to admit it impressed me that we had people tracking his jet by the minute,

I'm a huge Gator fan. When Spurrier left Florida, we all were tracking the UF plane on the coaching search. First to Oklahoma for Stoops, then to Denver for Shanahan etc. UF now has there tail numbers blocked from the Flight Aware software.
When Urban Meyer just resigned, UF, one of the top football schools in the country, managed a coaching search that was undetectable to the media.
No one knew who the new coach was until the school made the official announcement.

I would think the Dolphins can easily take the steps that Florida has taken to solve these issues and conduct business much more secretly in the future.

Back
Top Bottom