Steve Hutchinson or Bentley? Your Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by H2Ronnie23, Feb 6, 2006.

1. H2Ronnie23

H2Ronnie23 Ronnie Is The Future

If the free agency market gets too expensive for the Dolphins this off-season, the best bet would be to target primarily G Steve Hutchinson.
    There is no doubt in my mind that Bentley is a great Center and would be a huge asset to the team but to sign both would mean a large hit to our cap. With Hadnot playing solid, he can move over to center and play that position just as good as any lineman in the NFL. I believe we need to upgrade the secondary and the defense with at least one free agent signing. Charles Woodson would be a pretty good acquisition to out secondary. Considering that Sam Madison is out to go play with Surtain in KC.

2. DBoston80

DBoston80 Undisputed #1

Both will be costly, thats for sure....I would take Bentley because he can play G and C...He's younger...and he was the difference maker of the solid NO offensive Line....Hutchinson plays next to the best LT in the game...but in short I'd love to have either.

3. cdz12250

cdz12250 FinHeaven VIP

Good post. The line is moving in the right direction, and we need to consider whom we need to add to get it to the next level.

IMO, a top center is a much more important acquisition than a top guard. Everything starts in the middle. Picture McKinney getting pushed back into the quarterback, the complete absence of a push up the middle, the inability to run pulls and traps effectively, and the failure to complete secondary blocking assignments. LeCharles would go a long way toward fixing that. Remember the team when we had the likes of Langer and Stevenson?

4. South Florida

South Florida Pro Bowler

Bentley.

He's one of the, if not the, fastest lineman in the league.

He's also mean on the field.

And young, I think

5. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Perennial All-Pro

Hutchinson. It's not even close who is the better player. Miami has two young Center prospects already.

6. csabe

csabe Pro Bowler

Hutch is a bit better but eitehr would be a great addition.

7. Jersey54

Jersey54 Banned Hammered

Steve Hutchinson is a better player. He's 28, Bentley's 26. Not a big difference there. But to tell you the truth, if the Fins ended up with either
    of these 2 guys I'd be real happy!

8. Bill C

Bill C Seasoned Veteran

Toss up. Hutch is better all around, but we are weakest at C so Bentley might be the better add. Either one is a big boost to the OL.

9. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan A True Fan

:mrt: Hutchinson is going to be one of the 'most' expensive players in free agency and will command a signing/roster bonuses in excess of $10 million. Bentley will come some millions cheaper.

10. Fireagle89

Fireagle89 Starter

Id want LeCharles, we NEED a center, that plus him and I have the same birthday!

11. phinfan2003

phinfan2003 Perennial All-Pro

I think Hadnot is being groomed to be the center on this team. Hutchinson is going to be expensive. Bentley would be great but if he's as quick as it's been said on this board, I wonder if he could play G. If he could, I think Bentley at G and Hadnot at C would be better than Bentley at C and Hadnot at G.

12. DBoston80

DBoston80 Undisputed #1

Guys, like I said before Bentley can play 2 OL positions at a pro bowl level.

13. finjim

finjim Banned Hammered

14. Saint Greg

Saint Greg Pro Bowler

Bentley can play guard. He was a better guard than he is a center. All-pro his rookie year.

15. phinfan2003

Where do we sign then?

16. eger

eger Starter

I will take both.

17. Ruderic

Ruderic Fantasy Football Guru

I think Bentley because he will command maybe a million less and is a huge upgrade over Seth, while Hutch plays LG and Jeno James our current LG is not bad. Not sure if Jeno or Hutch would move to RG.

18. Schleprock

Schleprock Mad and Surt...Legendary

Why are you people even talking Hutchinson??? Seriously, Seattle already said they are franchising him...and we aren't giving up 1st and 3rds, or perhaps more, PLUS a huge contract for him.

19. SR 7

SR 7 Banned Hammered

exactly and if I remember right, bentley had a whatever season this year.

20. phinfan2003

Because until he gets franchised, he's expected to be a free agent and he was a Phins fan growing up. I agree that we're probably not going to sign him but what else is there to talk about at this point in the year?

21. Schleprock

realism, but that has never been a hot idea here.

22. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Perennial All-Pro

No, they did not say they are going to franchise him. Some Seahawk fans think this is a case, some others do not. Please get it straight.

23. LarryFinFan

LarryFinFan Left So Fla, never the Fins...

I think we do need to solidify the line. Hutchinson might be more expensive and is a LG, where we have JJ. I don't know if James has played RG or not in his career. I would imagine he can make the switch. Getting Bentley makes a little more sense in that we don't have to move JJ. We'd only have to move Rex back to RG, where he did ok. Rex, although might be a better center than RG ??

While I think we need to solidify the line, I am not convinced it has to be a Bentley or Hutchinson...I don't know who else is available at the next level down though.

As for other positions...I'd love for us to get Grady Jackson (DT, Green Bay) to replace Traylor. He's a bit younger (32, I think) and I'm pretty sure he's a FA...He' be our run stuffer for a couple of years allowing Wright and Vickerson to mature....Secondary...we first have to see if Schulters is going to be re-signed. Jones has one more year on his contract and he did play much better as the year went on until he got hurt. We will need someone to replace Madison...not necessarily a starter because there is hope that Poole and Daniels will be the starters with Mitchell as the 3rd CB...but it would be good to have a veteran to solidify the group. Same thing with safety...Bell has to be re-signed but Tillman, who also improved as the season went on, has one more year on his contract. But I'd like to see us add a Bing or Huff in the draft to help solidify the secondary.

24. jerwin825

jerwin825 Active Member

***ency

Well I typed out a response, but completely forgot about some of the remarks we heard about moving Wade Smith to center...it all depends on what they really think of him at center...because I think center is a much bigger need.

All that said, I think Jeno James is over paid for his current contribution. When he came here, we were led to believe we were getting a Steve Hutchinson talent level player...not even close at this point.

25. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan A True Fan

Highly doubtful. There is no guard franchise tag. Just OL. They would have to franchise him at tackle money. Plus Seattle has a wave of FA's and signed a large wave of FA's last year. It's doubtful they can afford a tag especially on a guard.

26. Ruderic

Ruderic Fantasy Football Guru

In that case sign them both and cut D-Mac and Jeno..Draft a tackle.

27. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan A True Fan

Don't expect to sign either. Saban signed Houck so he wouldn't have to spend large money on OL.

28. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG ~LACUNA LEGIONS~

I'd have to go with Bentley....

We could move Hadnot back to RG, put Bentley at C, and keep James at LG. That would be one solid interior OL right there. Hutch would be cool, but we need a C more than an OG. Bentley can play both too....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

29. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP

gotta be Bentley, think about this:

RT - Carey
    RG - Hadnot
    C - Bentley
    LG - James
    LT - Abali?

I think that line would be good, all we are missing right now is a good center and Bentley would be that

30. infiltrateib

infiltrateib TV Doctor

Heh. You just put a late-round draft pick without a snap on his resume in at Left Tackle on a reshuffled line with a brand new QB.

31. nick1

I think he has alot of talent and he can handle it, Frerotte will still be our QB unless we trade for somebody like Schaub and I think we are done trading for back-ups

32. infiltrateib

infiltrateib TV Doctor

Where did you gather that he has a lot of talent and can handle it? We haven't seen him play a down.

And no one else seemed to think so, since he came to us preeeeety late.

33. nick1

he has a mean streak on the football field, when we drafted him we had and still have the best o-line coach in the NFL who sees something good in him. just a hutch but I think he will be a future starter

34. Schleprock

Actually, you get it straight, 2 hardcore Seahawk fans close to the team on Maddenmania boards have passed this info along. (and they aren't in good spirits this day.)

They can't franchise Alexander, Jones finally signed a long term deal, Hutchinson is their only big resign...and one of the biggest in the NFL offseason. He will be franchised.

35. StLouisFinFan

StLouisFinFan StLouisFinFan

I have to agree. Although I'd like to see us be able to add an OL the likes of these two, Saban is most likely to stick with the idea of getting value for his money. I think he'll likely go with a FA that is being knocked for one reason or another, but a reason that Saban feels he can deal with. I just don't see him reaching for a an OL, especially interior OL, as they're too easy to find late in the draft, when they cost next to nothing and are hungy to prove something.

36. phinfan2003

37. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan A True Fan

Oh joy. People on a message board. Yah that's legitimate :rolleyes2

It's not guarenteed. Nobody in the Seattle organization has said boo on it yet. They would have to pay him LEFT TACKLE money to franchise him and I do believe they don't have enough cap room to carry a franchise tag on a GUARD.

Either way he isn't coming here. I can't see Saban blowing huge money on OL that he hasn't personally drafted etc.

38. Dolfan5000

Dolfan5000 Mark my words, I'll get mine

Trade a fourth to the Vikes for Birk!!! He's already basically blacklisted himself by saying he didn't like the Vikes head office.

39. Jaj

Jaj What you say?

That's a situation that certainly needs to be followed. A 4th is quite a bit to give up at random though, however but Ricky+ a pick isn't such a bad proposition.

40. Dolfan5000

Dolfan5000 Mark my words, I'll get mine

Birk is under 28 I think and he's a Pro Bowl center soooo... maybe worth a 4th or 5th.