Straight talk from Branch on why Dolphins were so bad against the run | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Straight talk from Branch on why Dolphins were so bad against the run

Without saying the words:

"Dude, we had guys like Spencer Paysinger getting starting reps at LB, WTF do you expect?"

Well, he's at least partially right. There were a lot of instances that it looked like our linebackers simply played their assignments badly and didn't meet the ballcarrier where they were supposed to.

Ironically he was one of those not doing his job.

Last edited:
Wide 9 ... those ends have contain on the edge because of it ... Hayes is the only decent one against the run ... should be interesting.

At least I won't have to yell at the TV every time Butler picks the wrong hole and the back gallops for 20 yards untouched. Looking forward to improved LB play.

Hey our personal looked like garbage going into last season for the most part on the defensive side of the ball. So its no surprise that some of them played that way. We got lucky IMO that Kiko, Maxwell, Wake and at saftey played as well as they did. You knew that Jenkins and Msi were going to get hurt and our corner backs were raw.

This sounds like the definition of insanity - doing the same thing and expecting a different result. Hearing that Burke is like Joseph is still here is not very encouraging to me.

What has changed is that we have more talent at LB and DE. I don't know if we can count on better luck with injuries this year but if we can having Jones and having more consistent corners will help.

Is the talent infusion enough? We'll see. I hope so but this game is so much about mismatches and setting up the players to be successful.

This sounds like the definition of insanity - doing the same thing and expecting a different result. Hearing that Burke is like Joseph is still here is not very encouraging to me.

What has changed is that we have more talent at LB and DE. I don't know if we can count on better luck with injuries this year but if we can having Jones and having more consistent corners will help.

Is the talent infusion enough? We'll see. I hope so but this game is so much about mismatches and setting up the players to be successful.

Ya I believe the talent level had much to do with that abysmal defensive season.

Joseph is a great coordinator. We'll see how he works at Head Coach.

Our overall talent was so bad last year, we literally seemed like we had one lber.

I cannot recall any plays made by Butler or Paysinger lol So Sad

Our talent level is night and day compared to last year.

I believe if Joseph had what's here now, our D would have been at least middle of the pack.

Howard (I think he becomes a stud), Jones, Mcdonald-Allen, LIppett, McCain, and Maxwell are an actual secondary lol

Kiko, Timmons, Misi, and Mcmillan are finally a real Lbing corp.

Our Dline gained depth and the right side of the line will be the deciding factor on how good that line will and should be. Wake, Suh, Phillips, Branch, Harris, Hayes

Watch what he does in Denver and that D. Scary good IMO

There were assignment issues for sure but also worth mentioning our depth ended up being pretty bad especially up the middle at dt

This is a great post because the defense, and its improvement, is key to the whole season.

Looking at the talent on offense, Miami has a chance to be top 10 in that regard. The team didn't have an identity last year until week six. The Dolphins have that going into the season. They know they are going to pound the rock with Jay Ajayi and if teams want to commit eight players to stop the run Miami can go to the air with talented wide receivers and a new tight end who was a superstar in Denver with Adam Gase there.

I don't particularly care for the wide 9, but I feel like the lack of talent was more of the issue. Burke is smart and I wouldn't be surprised if he tweaked things a little bit, maybe using wide 9 only on more obvious passing downs. Miami's talent at linebacker should be a lot better as well. Timmons and McMillan are both good against the run.

A big improvement on defense is needed for Miami to get back to the playoffs. I think that is pretty obvious.

A little off topic....we haven't had a team as talented this since Bob Griese was at the helm.

When we had Woodley, the rest of the team was talented, but he sucked.

When we had Marino, the WR's and the defense was good, but we had no running game.

When we had Ricky killing the league, and a good defense, we had no QB, and no coach.

Since Ricky left, we've had no run game (don't even mention Ronnie Brown), no coaching, no QB, and no WR's.

We now have a top 15 QB, a top 10 WR group, a top 5 RB (IMO), a top 10 defensive line, REAL linebackers, a solid group of young DB's, and finally a Coach that is smart enough to beat Bellicheat.

Fins should make the playoffs the next three years at least. If Tannehill balls out, we may have a chance for a chip.

In summary though, the defense was bad last year for two reasons....injuries, and management not bringing in solid linebackers when you knew Misi and Jenkins were not 100%.

Hey kcbrown. I agree with you for the most part.

I remember not too long ago, Miami couldn't find starting receivers. Now, that is a deep position especially if DaVante Parker can gain some consistency. Love Jay Ajayi and his emergence meant so much to the team. The Dolphins have a lot of talent on offense.

I still question the offensive line because I wouldn't count on Mike Pouncey staying healthy, but if he does play close to 16 games this line should be really good.

I also think that fans have overestimated the defensive line for some time. I don't know if it's a top 10 unit, but it could be if players like Jordan Phillips can step-up. I'd still like to see the Dolphins add a veteran DT who can stop the run.

They were bad because they were soft up front. Not a single D-Lineman played well against the run outside of Suh.

Back
Top Bottom