Suh: I have a lot more work to do | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Suh: I have a lot more work to do

gafin

Practice Squad
Reaction score
DAVIE, Fla. – It took only one play to notice Ndamukong Suh.

The Miami Dolphins star defensive tackle blew past aspiring starting right guard Billy Turner on the initial snap of team drills Wednesday and was in the backfield within seconds. If this were a game and not a drill, he would have tackled running back Lamar Miller for a substantial loss.

Yet this was just another routine moment for Suh here in his first training camp with the Dolphins since he signed a six-year, $114 million contract in March. He’s been unblockable, both in team drills and in one-on-ones, to the point it is fair to wonder if such abuse is hurting guys like Turner and first-team left guard Dallas Thomas.

But these early practices show why the Dolphins invested so heavily in Suh, and seem to justify the lofty expectation that the addition of Suh can catapult the Dolphins to the playoffs for the first time since 2008.

USA TODAY Sports spoke to Suh about his training camp domination, the huge sack numbers he sees from the defensive line and why he doesn’t think he’s the best defensive tackle in the NFL.

It's been pretty crazy watching you practice out here against some young unproven guards that are trying to win jobs. Are you ever worried about embarrassing them?

A. Here's how I look at it. I don't want to be on the losing end, and if I'm on the losing end, then I'm not doing my job. So if the result is me beating up on the guard every single play? Well, that's my job. I'm not going to go out there and try and hurt my teammates or anything of that nature. I want to physically impose my will on them and play to my peak so I can work on my fundamentals. If I make a mistake on a play and he beats me, or if he makes a mistake on a play because I outsmarted him or a put a stunt on him, so be it.

Q: Maybe the best case scenario out of that is if they survive camp, they'll be prepared for whatever other defensive tackles they'll have to face this season, and they can know they won't be facing anyone better?

A. I would hope so. But that would mean me saying that I've arrived and that I'm the best d-tackle in the game, and I don't believe that.

Q. Really, you don't believe you're the best?

A. I think I have a lot more work to do.

Q. So if it's not you, who is the best?

A. I don't know, that's for someone else to decide. I think I'm an elite defensive tackle, and I want to strive to be a great, and be in the Hall of Fame. But at this point in time, it's irrelevant. It's about them putting me out there and finding ways that I can help my team get better.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2015/08/05/ndamukong-suh-have-lot-more-work-do/31182445/

Can't wait until the media eats their crow saying we "overpaid"

We got good value with him. I'll admit that I thought we reached when we signed him, but now I'm happy to have changed my mind.

Back
Top Bottom