Surprise Draft Pick | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Surprise Draft Pick

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
A lot can happen between now and the draft in April. I never thought at the beginning of the year that we'd be talking about letting Jake Long walk, for example, and now that seems like a big possibility. What about Randy Starks? Anyway, those decisions will affect the direction of the offseason and the draft. If Miami lets Long go I believe Jake Matthews becomes a realistic first round target. But the most surprising first round pick? That could be a DT/NT. Keep in mind that Paul Solai (sp) is only signed through 2013 and if Starks goes it is important to find another quality player there. This years' draft has some nice talent at DT something we haven't talked much about due to other needs.

I Will punch the tv of thats how it plays out. Wouldnt put it past Ireland.
however, we dont have the luxury to be planning for depth no the DL 2 years out. We have at least 6-7 Other positions that dont have NFL quality starters...DE, OG, OT, TE, WR, CB, SS

As has been recently discussed within the Miami Herald, Ireland knows the team needs playmakers, on both sides, meaning WR's & TE's on O and passrushers and DB's on D. As we have seen lately, an offense with plamakers and an average line is way better off than a good line and below average playmakers.

i dont think he will be the pick. if we take lineman i dont think it will be untill later in the draft

If the did pick Jake Matthews i wouldn't be upset.....the kid is a stud. Watch the LSU tape and see him shut down Mingo all game long. While it's not the biggest need and what this team needs most (playmakers on offense, DBs), he might be the best player available when we pick. Quite honestly, i think he'll be gone by the time we pick so i don't even see it being an option.

If the did pick Jake Matthews i wouldn't be upset.....the kid is a stud. Watch the LSU tape and see him shut down Mingo all game long. While it's not the biggest need and what this team needs most (playmakers on offense, DBs), he might be the best player available when we pick. Quite honestly, i think he'll be gone by the time we pick so i don't even see it being an option.
To be honest, I'm kind of hoping he is gone simply because I think that would be too big a temptation for the front office. I have a gut feeling it goes down to Eifert and Patterson in the 1st. But, it does depend how the offseason and free agency play out. If the Dolphins are able to get a tight end like Finley, Eifert becomes less likely.

If anything I think Starks gets resigned big Paul could be trade bait which could allow odrick to slide inside..

If anything I think Starks gets resigned big Paul could be trade bait which could allow odrick to slide inside..

:s why on earth would we trade Solai

To be honest, I'm kind of hoping he is gone simply because I think that would be too big a temptation for the front office.

haha. me too. With Ireland you always have to hope another GM is dumber and makes the move first

I have a gut feeling it goes down to Eifert and Patterson in the 1st. But, it does depend how the offseason and free agency play out. If the Dolphins are able to get a tight end like Finley, Eifert becomes less likely.

I'v'e been noticing alot of mocks lately pegging Eifert in mid 2nd round category. I know its unlikely but that would be a coup if miami could nab Eifert there. Or even if he still available at the top of the 2nd miami could trade up (wont cost that much at that point)

I've read that Atlanta may take Eifert in the 1st as a successor to Gonzalez.

The other TE's that intrigue me are: Reed (Gators) in the 2nd, Sims (Mich St( in the 4th, & Jensen (Fresno) on the 5th or 6th.

Thoughts on the following scenario are appreciated; Miami drafts Eifert, signs Keller, & cuts Mastrud.

I think, after the Hawaii bowl, we have to get Margus Hunt. But I'm biased because my cousin went to school with him and is a good friend. I'm hoping he doesn't get into the first round, but we may have to blow our first 2nd rounder for him.

I've read that Atlanta may take Eifert in the 1st as a successor to Gonzalez.

The other TE's that intrigue me are: Reed (Gators) in the 2nd, Sims (Mich St( in the 4th, & Jensen (Fresno) on the 5th or 6th.

Thoughts on the following scenario are appreciated; Miami drafts Eifert, signs Keller, & cuts Mastrud.
There's a tight end from San Jose State who is starting to get a lot of attentin. Getting Keller would be nice because it would also hurt the Jets. I'm not expecting any big signings in free agency except for some of our own guys. I think Eifert would be an excellent pick for this team.

otten from san jose st is interesting...raw but interesting...not very good in line as a blocker...i like reed also but he looks a little undersized to me...might be an nfl h back

sims isn't explosive enough to get me excited about his seam abilities...he's like fasano to me underneath guy...no real burst...sims is too large for what we covet...if we lost fasano i'd be more interested and even then heck no in the 2nd round...i might look at him in the 4th

leveon bell is the only thing on mich st that really interest me... golston or whatever the de's name is is a big bag of hype the corner name escapes me maybe it's adams??? can't remember anyways meh...sims is a bloated te that's not even for his size all that great in line even...

bells got sweet feet for his size and he's downhill and he catches the ball like a scat back...terrific pass receiving abilities for his size...

Last edited by a moderator:
We need weapons on offense. We have to score more.

Back
Top Bottom