Sydney Rice: Potential UFA and WR Upgrade | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sydney Rice: Potential UFA and WR Upgrade

mnphinfan

Lifelong Fin Fan
Club Member
Reaction score
The Vikings just designated LB Chad Greenway as their franchise player which means two things. One, we can no longer look at him as a possible upgrade to our ILB's. Two, the Vikings can no longer place the franchise tag on Sydney Rice. Now the Vikes can place the transition tag on him, but there are multiple reports (just as there were reports they would franchise Greenway)that they won't.

Depending on how the new CBA is worked out Syndey Rice could definitely become a UFA. People on here have hinted for us to sign Santana Moss but I would much rather us sign Sydney Rice. Most people here in Minneapolis feel Rice missing the first half of the season was the reason their offense was so terrible because without him in their line up defenses were able to stack the box to stop the run and not worry about doubling any of their outside WR's.

If we were able to sign Rice our 3-wide receiving corps would be Marshall, Rice, and Bess. There is no way you could stack the box to stop the run as we hopefully would kill teams in the passing game.

I can honestly say that if he makes free agency he would be my #1 FA wish. We could then target RB, TE and O-linemen this draft if one of the big name QB's doesn't drop as I don't see us trading up for a QB unless one is still around at selection #9 when Dallas picks. In reality I actually see us trading down to get back our 2nd which we traded for Marshall.

Thoughts?

I would love to add Sidney Rice but right now we need to focus on other needs.

That is an awful lot of money when you consider what Marshall is getting. Isn't Rice like the top WR FA now that Jackson got tagged?

This would be as likely as signing Asamugha.

He would be a great compliment to Marshal and Bess. He has the speed to keep the defense on its toes and would definately take the double team off of Marshal which has a domino affect for Bess because he is the one that things would really open up for. Worry a little about his hip but if healthy he would be a good pick up.

It is wide known he doesnt have the speed.
He would be a great compliment to Marshal and Bess. He has the speed to keep the defense on its toes and would definately take the double team off of Marshal which has a domino affect for Bess because he is the one that things would really open up for. Worry a little about his hip but if healthy he would be a good pick up.

That is an awful lot of money when you consider what Marshall is getting. Isn't Rice like the top WR FA now that Jackson got tagged?

Yea we already made Dansby and Marshall the highest paid at thier positions it would be a hard fit

I dont care if he doesnt have the speed... Rice, Marshall, Bess will be crazy!!! I think they can make Henne look good...

would love to have him on the team, but it will probly cost to much. its funny bc i use to play against sidney in highschool

would love to have him on the team, but it will probly cost to much. its funny bc i use to play against sidney in highschool

It would but if we get him then I dont think we need to get much more in the FA... For Example
Sign Sidney and Kalil

Then Draft-
1st-Ingram RB
3rd-Moffitt OG
4th-Powell RB
5th-Mathews LB
6th-Tackle
7th-Corner
7th-Depth

Then resign/extensions
Cam Wake
Solai
McDaniel

That would be a very good lineup.. We just need henne to work hard and give him one more shot and if he cant do it then next year the draft should be good for QB and get one then...

Yea we already made Dansby and Marshall the highest paid at thier positions it would be a hard fit

Yes it would be a hard fit but if I recall when the salary cap number came out for what they would have been last year I think we were somthing like $25 million under so it can be done.

Signing Rice would also cost about as much as it would to sign one of the top FA linemen, so it's basically a pick your poision kind of signing. Signing Rice would just alter our drafting strategy a bit. Instead of having to draft a WR early we could address different offensive needs which are o-line, RB and TE. My thinking is that if we trade down and acquire a 2nd rounder, w/ Sparano's back round being offensive line he could definitely turn a late 1st or early 2nd round selection into a quality linemen. I know it didn't work out well this year as they tried to use second rate players up front but getting more talented players to coach via the draft would help. Plus we wouldn't have to wait for a drafted WR to develop, which in many cases can take 2-3 years. However, lots of o-linemen are drafted every year that are plugged into starting lineups and are definite upgrades. We could then use the 2nd rounder to draft a RB and the 3rd or 4th a TE who can stretch the middle of the filed opposite of Fasano.

I know this wouldn't fix the QB position, but it might be enough to help Henne overcome his deficiencies. Plus I'm not exactly 100% sure there is a franchise QB in this draft that I would be willing to take the risk of moving up for.

Depending on who you like I would say it's between Rice and Holmes, with Edwards the clear #3.

Back
Top Bottom