Sydney Rice: Potential UFA and WR Upgrade

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by mnphinfan, Feb 21, 2011.

1. mnphinfan

mnphinfan Lifelong Fin Fan

The Vikings just designated LB Chad Greenway as their franchise player which means two things. One, we can no longer look at him as a possible upgrade to our ILB's. Two, the Vikings can no longer place the franchise tag on Sydney Rice. Now the Vikes can place the transition tag on him, but there are multiple reports (just as there were reports they would franchise Greenway)that they won't.

Depending on how the new CBA is worked out Syndey Rice could definitely become a UFA. People on here have hinted for us to sign Santana Moss but I would much rather us sign Sydney Rice. Most people here in Minneapolis feel Rice missing the first half of the season was the reason their offense was so terrible because without him in their line up defenses were able to stack the box to stop the run and not worry about doubling any of their outside WR's.

If we were able to sign Rice our 3-wide receiving corps would be Marshall, Rice, and Bess. There is no way you could stack the box to stop the run as we hopefully would kill teams in the passing game.

I can honestly say that if he makes free agency he would be my #1 FA wish. We could then target RB, TE and O-linemen this draft if one of the big name QB's doesn't drop as I don't see us trading up for a QB unless one is still around at selection #9 when Dallas picks. In reality I actually see us trading down to get back our 2nd which we traded for Marshall.

Thoughts?

2. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

I would love to add Sidney Rice but right now we need to focus on other needs.

3. Elliott 1

Elliott 1 Banned Hammered

That is an awful lot of money when you consider what Marshall is getting. Isn't Rice like the top WR FA now that Jackson got tagged?

This would be as likely as signing Asamugha.

4. Cali Finfan

Cali Finfan A True Fan

He would be a great compliment to Marshal and Bess. He has the speed to keep the defense on its toes and would definately take the double team off of Marshal which has a domino affect for Bess because he is the one that things would really open up for. Worry a little about his hip but if healthy he would be a good pick up.

5. kvado16

kvado16 A True Fan

It is wide known he doesnt have the speed.

6. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Yea we already made Dansby and Marshall the highest paid at thier positions it would be a hard fit

7. Stefins

Stefins Just a Dolphins Fan

right or wrong....well done post

8. Tunaphish429

Tunaphish429 1st Ballot Hall of Famer Donator

Bring him on.

9. Miamifins2381

Miamifins2381 Rookie

he is a beast, i want him. he made bret favre look good

10. Fin_Frenzy_84

Fin_Frenzy_84 Starter

I dont care if he doesnt have the speed... Rice, Marshall, Bess will be crazy!!! I think they can make Henne look good...

11. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

would love to have him on the team, but it will probly cost to much. its funny bc i use to play against sidney in highschool

12. FinKage34

FinKage34 Starter

Yes please!

13. Fin_Frenzy_84

Fin_Frenzy_84 Starter

It would but if we get him then I dont think we need to get much more in the FA... For Example
    Sign Sidney and Kalil

Then Draft-
    1st-Ingram RB
    3rd-Moffitt OG
    4th-Powell RB
    5th-Mathews LB
    6th-Tackle
    7th-Corner
    7th-Depth

Then resign/extensions
    Cam Wake
    Solai
    McDaniel

That would be a very good lineup.. We just need henne to work hard and give him one more shot and if he cant do it then next year the draft should be good for QB and get one then...

14. mnphinfan

Yes it would be a hard fit but if I recall when the salary cap number came out for what they would have been last year I think we were somthing like $25 million under so it can be done.

Signing Rice would also cost about as much as it would to sign one of the top FA linemen, so it's basically a pick your poision kind of signing. Signing Rice would just alter our drafting strategy a bit. Instead of having to draft a WR early we could address different offensive needs which are o-line, RB and TE. My thinking is that if we trade down and acquire a 2nd rounder, w/ Sparano's back round being offensive line he could definitely turn a late 1st or early 2nd round selection into a quality linemen. I know it didn't work out well this year as they tried to use second rate players up front but getting more talented players to coach via the draft would help. Plus we wouldn't have to wait for a drafted WR to develop, which in many cases can take 2-3 years. However, lots of o-linemen are drafted every year that are plugged into starting lineups and are definite upgrades. We could then use the 2nd rounder to draft a RB and the 3rd or 4th a TE who can stretch the middle of the filed opposite of Fasano.

I know this wouldn't fix the QB position, but it might be enough to help Henne overcome his deficiencies. Plus I'm not exactly 100% sure there is a franchise QB in this draft that I would be willing to take the risk of moving up for.

15. mnphinfan

Depending on who you like I would say it's between Rice and Holmes, with Edwards the clear #3.

16. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

I'd love to have him, but like everybody else has been saying that's alot of money for 1 position.

I'd truly rather have Aso than Rice, just for the mere fact of pure dominace.

17. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

Regardless of his speed, he is a great receiver. That'd be sick to have him here

18. Boy From School

Boy From School Noobie

I'd pass on him. He's a one trick pony.

19. Fin_Frenzy_84

Fin_Frenzy_84 Starter

Sidney would also cost pretty close to a top Running back so instead of taking a RB or OL in free agency take them in draft and get Sidney in FA

20. AdamC13

AdamC13 Awe "Tight End" my favorite position!

Clearly there will be a salary cap in place when the CBA is resolved and may be less than it was last year. If Miami drafts Ingram and OL then Rice may be an option to go after. If Miami drafts, say Newton with 1st round pick then may be wiser to go after D. Williams in free agency.

If no salary cap, I say sign him. Not my money, but is my favorite team. He clearly would upgrade the WR unit.

21. Lilseb93

Lilseb93 This Is My House

This isn't Madden folks. There is a salary cap. We can't invest that much money into the WR postion. If we're going to spend that kind of money let's get a position we need.

22. sharp

sharp Scout Team

I would like to have him for sure but and he is a good deep threat even though hes not ginn fast.

He was hurt most of last season and only played in 6 games. He was never anything before Favre got there.

But his breakout year he had 1,312 yards, a 15.8 ypc average and 8 TDs.

Rice is pretty much an elite "Air it out to and trust me WR" - Favre always gave his receivers a chance and Sidney made plays.

Marshall is also this type of receiver, in fact I believe Sidney is faster. The issue is what Henning, David Lee, and Pennington have done to Henne. He does not trust his WRs. Hopefully Daboll and former WR converted QB coach Karl Dorrell will install this "Trust your WR" method. It seems to work when you have good WRs like marshall and bess. If Henne does not improve on this, picking up Rice would be a waste. (Assuming Henne is our QB) (an Orton-Rice-Marshall-Bess combo would be lethal though)

23. Heinegrabber

Heinegrabber Since 84 Finheaven VIP

I would take a shot at Jackson if you read how Marshall contract is written we are not really on the hook for that much money. The highest paid is tied up in the fine print. I think the tag on Jackson is to scare off low ball offers. What better weapon could we get with a first and probably a little more than Jackson. He has issues but so does Ricky, Ronnie, Brandon, and anybody else.

24. Fin_Frenzy_84

Fin_Frenzy_84 Starter

In a pass first league we can...

25. Fin_Frenzy_84

Fin_Frenzy_84 Starter

I can see Dorrell installing it since he was a reciever coach and supposeably we are running the pats offense and they take shots and its risky

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

Rice will be cheaper imo and I think is better

26. phinasota

phinasota Bleed Aqua

Yes please, he's proved all he needs is a good QB to throw to him and he can do the rest! Watching him in
    09 was awesome!

27. Fin_Frenzy_84

Fin_Frenzy_84 Starter

Bring Sidney Rice to Miami

There will be much more of these so why not I start it off and give my reasons...

First thing first is yes he will cost alot of money but so will a top RB and O-Line.
    Second thing is it would be smart to go for a proven WR that is in a pass first league
    Third thing is yes I know we dont got a QB and Henne will probably be there next year but the new O-Corrdinator is supposed to install a Patriot offense and should let Henne take few more shots down field and actually let Henne throw some balls for the Recievers to go after since Marshall is that type reciever and Rice is also...(If Henne dont work out then next year draft is supposed to be a good QB class)

So basically I say we sign Rice... I also have a mock to show you that it can work!!!

Resign/Extensions-

Cam Wake OLB
    Paul Solai NT
    Tony McDaniel DE
    Patrick Cobbs KR

Sign-

Sidney Rice WR Vikings
    Ryan Kalil C Panthers

Yes I know its 2 BIG free agents but it is possible.

Draft-

Trade down and pick up a extra second

1st Round- Mike Pouncey OG Florida
    2nd Round-Kendall Hunter RB Oklahoma State.
    3rd Round- Lance Kendricks TE Wisconsin
    4th Round- Bilal Powell RB Louisville
    5th Round- Casey Mathews LB Oregon
    6th Round- T.J. Yates QB North Carolina
    7th Round- Mario Butler CB Georgia Tech
    7th Round- Mike Berry OG/OT Auburn

Starters

QB-Henne
    FB-Polite
    RB-Hunter
    WR-Marshall
    WR-Bess
    WR-Rice
    TE-Kendricks
    LT-Long
    LG-Pouncey
    C-Kalil
    RG-Jerry
    RT-Carey

DE-Starks/Odrick
    NT-Solai/Starks
    DE-Langford/McDaniels
    OLB-Misi
    OLB-Wake
    ILB-Dansby
    ILB-Crowder
    SS-Bell
    FS-Clemons
    CB-Davis
    CB-Smith

That lineup is amazing and IMO we could be contendors... Thats just proof that we can go and get Rice and have a monster team.

28. Strangeworld

Strangeworld Banned Hammered

he is slower than molassis... we need speed

29. Fin_Frenzy_84

Fin_Frenzy_84 Starter

How has speed worked with Al Davis lol

30. Strangeworld

Strangeworld Banned Hammered

Yep ignore the elephant in the room... I mean it's a good thing we are set at QB. O wait...

31. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

While no burner he runs about a 4.5 so thats hardly slow

32. PhinsPhan11

PhinsPhan11 Phins & Philly Sports

That addition of Rice would make this a real good WR group. I would be very happy with that mock draft that the OP said. It would provide this team a real good starting lineup.

33. vagrantprodigy

vagrantprodigy A True Fan

Marshall ran like a 4.7 on his pro day, Rice runs a 4.5. That's a bit faster than Hartline if I'm remembering right.

34. quasi

quasi Well-Known Member

From what I've seen of Rice, he is a good player but seems like a lesser version of Brandon Marshall. We definitely need speed and Sidney rice does not qualify as a speedster.

35. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

Draft J. Jernigan of Troy in Round 3, then we will have our speedy WR, Punt and Kickoff Returner.

36. ryanosaur2000

ryanosaur2000 A True Fan Donator

I think what we need is a speed guy (one that can catch and run routes though....i.e not a Ginn) rather than another physical type WR. Rice is a great player, but I do not see the point in throwing that kind of money at a position that is not really an area of need. If we are going to spend big in FA it should be on an interior lineman or two and maybe even a QB to compete with Henne.

37. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Oh great. Another player who can't go an entire season without missing multiple games.

38. allsilverdreams

allsilverdreams Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

i would rather pick one up in the draft with 3.3 speed and good return skills.save allot of cash
    i would target o line and te in fa .then draft heavy offense

39. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

wow 3.3 speed draft him now the fastest man in the world

40. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

After running a 4.52 at the Combine, Marshall didn't run the 40 at his pro day. He only ran the 20-yard shuttle and 3-cone drills.