Tackles in the Draft? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tackles in the Draft?

I agree to some extent but bear in mind that we are scarcely getting the most out of the playmakers we have because we can't set up any plays that require the line to do anything resembling real blocking. Mike Wallace has scarcely gotten the chance to get deep this year because even as quickly as he gets there the QB is still on his back by that time.

The best strategy, which really isn't a strategy at all, is to actually hit out on our midrounders, and thus not have to wait for our first round picks every year to actually pick up talent. Getting a Calvin Johnson/Dez Bryant type is great in the first round, but you can make do with a guy like Randall Cobb later on.
This is an excellent point. Jeff Ireland badly misjudged the offensive tackles on this team, which has hurt Tannehill and Wallace. The best weapon in the deep game is essentially stuck running shorter patterns simply because the qb doesn't have time to throw.

Just making a list. I'm sure Miami will consider O Line in each of the first 3 rounds. Part of me would love to see us get wr Evans from A&M though.

If Miami takes a player from Alabama in the 1st, I hope it's CJ Mosley. Love that guy as a player.

Agreed. Love Mosley. Like his all around skills, motor, smarts, leadership, everything. Even has good hips that could translate well to coverage.

At some point it would be great to get a high end linebacker. The problem is Miami has so many needs.

Agreed. Love Mosley. Like his all around skills, motor, smarts, leadership, everything. Even has good hips that could translate well to coverage.

At some point it would be great to get a high end linebacker. The problem is Miami has so many needs.

At this point the only real needs are on the o line. Every other spot could stand to add depth but have starters, especially if the 2 rook cb start working in.

Kouandjio just isn't the dominant player that Andre Smith or Chris Samuels were at left tackle for Alabama. That's just the facts. But those two were top 10 picks.

Kouandjio is a better prospect than James Carpenter was, but not in a category with Smith or Samuels. He's probably a right tackle in the NFL, or perhaps a guard as a last resort. I think he's good enough to stay at tackle.

I think Taylor Lewan is an excellent player. He's right there with Jake Matthews in my opinion.

so as a Tide fan you wouldn't suggest going Kouandjio? because i think Lewan and Matthews are top ten then we are looking at Kouandjio Richardsson and Erving in the 10-20 range

so as a Tide fan you wouldn't suggest going Kouandjio? because i think Lewan and Matthews are top ten then we are looking at Kouandjio Richardsson and Erving in the 10-20 range

I probably wouldn't take Kouandjio with a top 20 pick. I think he'd be a decent pick after that.

Honestly, and this is difficult to say as a Bama guy... I believe Auburn's redshirt sophomore left tackle Greg Robinson is a better prospect. This kid is the key to Auburn's resurrected offense. Dominant in the run game and in pass protection despite his lack of a significant body of work due to his youth.

I think both he and Kouandjio could play tackle and/or guard, and have similar freakish athleticism. Although Robinson dominates, where Kouandjio has merely been solid.

Kouandjio just isn't the dominant player that Andre Smith or Chris Samuels were at left tackle for Alabama. That's just the facts. But those two were top 10 picks.

Kouandjio is a better prospect than James Carpenter was, but not in a category with Smith or Samuels. He's probably a right tackle in the NFL, or perhaps a guard as a last resort. I think he's good enough to stay at tackle.

I think Taylor Lewan is an excellent player. He's right there with Jake Matthews in my opinion.

with limited knowledge, this is the guy I like so far, and is doable to draft where we will be.

I love Matthews. He is elite IMO and probably goes top 5 depending on the quarterbacks. I like Lewan, enough to trade up slightly for him if he slides close to Miami's spot. But, I think his best position is RT. Similar to Jake Long, but not as good. I would difer to Slimm on Kouandjio. From what I've seen, he looks more like a guard. Seems a little sluggish getting into pass protection. Antonio Richardson is a RT IMO. Hurst is a little under the radar, but I'm not sure if he's physical enough.

I love Mattews as well...And if he's half the lineman his dad was, who I consider one of the greatest
offensive linemen in the history of the game, he'll do alright.

At this point the only real needs are on the o line. Every other spot could stand to add depth but have starters, especially if the 2 rook cb start working in.

Not sure I agree with this line of thinking that the only needs are on the O line, although I do agree that the line does NEED to be addressed. While our line will need to be remade, you are not going to solely do it in the draft IMO, it will be a collection of keeping a few leftovers, a FA or 2 and a couple picks in the draft. Too many needs and upgrades are needed on this roster to push for playoff supremacy!

OLB, S are two very important NEEDS for the defense, we lack instincts and playmaking froms those positions.

Theres some physical and athletic receivers in the first round this year which would give us the ideal weaponry for our developing quarterback. I also like the idea of looking at Ebron at TE, I see a special player there who can hold his own as a blocker as a rookie and produce day one vice being red-shirted ala Egnew and Sims.

Hey what do you guys think of WR Allen Hurns from the U? He is lanky at 6'3" probably 185 or so shows very good awareness as a route runner, displays decent speed and even has the ability to stretch the field occasionally. IMO he would be a fourth round prospect who could become a solid receiver. He looks athletic, aware, shows good hands and runs possession type routes very well, which would seem to be a good #2 future prospect.

I think the depth in this draft is good for Tackle's based on what I am seeing so far. I think its possible we could resign Mckinney, get a stud TE first, and then T/G. Some Good G's might fall to 2nd round where we pick.

Any thoughts on Steen Slim?

I read he rarely makes mistakes and seems reall solid in that supposed ZBS in Bama.

I think the depth in this draft is good for Tackle's based on what I am seeing so far. I think its possible we could resign Mckinney, get a stud TE first, and then T/G. Some Good G's might fall to 2nd round where we pick.

Any thoughts on Steen Slim?

I read he rarely makes mistakes and seems reall solid in that supposed ZBS in Bama.

Steen is a solid player, especially in pass protection. He didn't allow a single sack last year. He's not a dominant force in the run game, but he gets the job done with outstanding quickness, power, and intelligence. There's nothing extremely special about him as a prospect, he's just one of those underrated guys that stay in the lineup and rarely ever makes a mistake. Ever. He consistently grades out as the best lineman on the team because he never misses an assignment.

Has the ability to start at the next level. I'd take him in the 3rd/4th round... can also play center.

Steen is a solid player, especially in pass protection. He didn't allow a single sack last year. He's not a dominant force in the run game, but he gets the job done with outstanding quickness, power, and intelligence. There's nothing extremely special about him as a prospect, he's just one of those underrated guys that stay in the lineup and rarely ever makes a mistake. Ever. He consistently grades out as the best lineman on the team because he never misses an assignment.

Has the ability to start at the next level. I'd take him in the 3rd/4th round... can also play center.

nice! he's definitely on my radar.

Back
Top Bottom