Taking this slant to the house | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Taking this slant to the house

craps

Active Roster
Reaction score
was looking for a model to compare our situation to with regards to building teams
around young QBs . . . checked out NE, NYG, ATL, PITT, IND and a few others
. . . . . . the team i believe we're most favorable to is the SF 49ers

the year after they took alex smith with the first pick in 2005 they took
TE vernon davis with the 7th pick overall . . . . . what has he done

345 rec - 4,351 yds - 40 td

not only that . . . TEs over the last 4 years

pettigrew ....... 243r --- 2412y --- 14td
j graham ....... 215r --- 2648y --- 25td
gronkowski .... 187r --- 2663y --- 38td
hernandez ..... 175r --- 1956y --- 18td
gresham ....... 172r --- 1804y --- 15td
jared cook ..... 131r --- 1717y ---- 8td
k rudolph ....... 79r ---- 742y ---- 12td
kendricks ....... 70r ----- 871y ----- 4td
dw allen ......... 45r ---- 521y ----- 3td
fleener ........... 26r ---- 281y ----- 2td

if you don't know anything else , i bet my next paycheck you know of the guys listed
above and the TEs from the aforementioned teams - i'd also bet you even knew the
rookie tight ends drafted by the colts last year , , , and they were both day 2 picks

the only real argument against tyler eifert at 12 is value ..... granted
only 2 of the players listed above were taken in the 1stR , it won't
be that way for long as today's TEs are revolutionizing the game
in a big way and we need to join the party, besides how can he
be a reach when we don't need half the players in the top 20

he may not be explosive like vernon davis . . . . .
but his combine measures are eerily similar to gronkowski

gronk - 6'6 - 258 - 4.6 - 2.68 - 1.58 - 33.5 - 9'11 - 4.47 - 7.18 - 23br
eifert -- 6'6 - 250 - 4.6 - 2.69 - 1.65 - 35.5 - 9'11 - 4.32 - 6.92 - 22br

eifert will bring the size, depth, youth and versatility our offense needs
he's far more fluid than he looks on tape , is as natural catching the
football as Gronk and is probably more athletic in the open field

Superlatives

- over-sized receiver
- excellent athleticism
- a matchup nightmare
- a physical seam threat
- exceptional pass catcher
- proto-typical dimensions
- a better athlete than rudolph
- seam speed/red zone mismatch
- outstanding hands & body control
- compares to tony gonzalez athletically

"while there are other solid options later in the draft
none provide the upside that eifert does . . . he's
an immediate game changer for your offense"

as much as i'd love to have tavon austin

this guy appears to be the perfect fit

Eifert reminds me more of Gronk than any TE coming out since Gronk. I'd be very happy with him at 12 - not my first choice, but one of my top few.

Not only that but Eifert is more of a pro than Gronk and he isn't even a pro yet. Eifert is one of those guys who will go to war for the team.

Eifort is going to be a very good player. But unfortunately, Ireland will over think and reach for someone else as expected. Hope I'm wrong, though.

Eifert is the perfect fit for Miami.

Only a Jeff Ireland could screw this up.

Yeah I'm hoping we draft this guy. #12 is probably early but I would rather reach a bit for him than trade up to pick up an offensive tackle. This is a game of first downs, and with an elite TE, getting first downs becomes a lot easier.

If this guy becomes elite it would suck playing safety against the Dolphins - if you cheat up to help your linebacker cover Eifert, Mike Wallace is going to run go routes and make toast of your CB. Or as a safety if you're assigned to man up on Eifert thats going to suck too.

Draft this guy to open up the playbook, it has been proven over and over again that an elite LT is not required to win the Super Bowl, you just need to find tackles that are "good enough"

This place is going to blow up if Jeff irland passes on auston and eifert lol ... Despite the fact that we have a pathetic oline with no RT or even LT if Martin does not pick It up on the left side AND two average guards AND equally pathetic cb corps.. And still folks here want to draft a wrs and TEs at 12? Didn't we just spend 20 mill+ per year in free agency on wrs and TEs?

It will be an interesting draft day here for sure

Yeah we have a lot of holes but it's likely we will need to trade up to grab one of the elite OT prospects. I would hate if we did that since we could use the picks rather than get a tackle. I'm not saying to ignore the offensive line what I'm saying is that other teams find serviceable linemen all the time in the later rounds of the draft. Martin is going to screw the team up if he proves incapable of playing LT.

Just to be clear, I would hate Austin at #12. We have 4 picks in the second and third round, that is where we need to find our linemen. We should be able to find a decent enough RT at that stage of the drat. I'm just so tired of the team spending money and picks on the o-line yet it is still a weak spot for the team. I just feel like Eifert will be the biggest difference maker available on offense when it's time to submit the pick. If we get Eifert it will finally be fun to watch the offense again. Reggie Bush and Marshall were fun while they were here but the offense was still incomplete. Tannehill, Eifert, Wallace, Miller, and hopefully Swope.. Thats would be an awesome team to watch. CB is going to be a very weak spot but it can be covered up if we get D-linemen that can get pressure without having to blitz.

Like I said, we just need serviceable linemen. Tackles are really important but you dont need elite tackles to be a playoff team. You need a line coach who can squeeze all the potential out of the later round picks and build continuity across the line.

Back
Top Bottom