Tankersley... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tankersley...

kcbrown

Life is what we make it.
Club Member
Reaction score
Quietly have been hearing good reports on this kid...

So I looked him up and found this from PFF...(see below)....it said the kid is "physical" and missed only 12 out 114 tackling attempts....

I did not expect to see that at all...of course, on the NFL page, Mayock says he avoids tackles....

Either way, I like his athleticism, so X, Tank, Alterrun (spelling?), and McCain make a nice a young group. I am not as down on Maxwell as I originally was, but clearly he'll be elsewhere next year.

I think this kid is going to get a bunch of snaps this year.

Name: Cordrea Tankersley

School: Clemson

Position fit: Outside cornerback

Stats to know: Allowed a passer rating of only 41.2 in two full seasons

What he does best:

• Has the size to press at the line of scrimmage. Ideal for a press-man scheme, length facilitates effective jams at the line of scrimmage.
  • Moves well for his size, allowing him to play multiple coverages.
  • Strong in man coverage, possesses incredible instincts and change-of-direction skills.
  • Scheme diverse: instincts and aggression make him a viable zone corner and he closes well on the ball in “off” coverage, particularly for his size.
  • Physical, willing to attack the LOS on run plays/screens, missed only 12 of 114 tackle attempts over last two seasons.
  • Reliable, gave up only one catch of 30-plus yards in 2016 and only one touchdown.
  • Can play either side, lining up on both perimeters extensively.
Biggest concern:

• Too physical at times, particularly at the top of routes. Had seven coverage penalties in 2016, and won’t get away with as much as he did in college in the NFL.
  • Lets WRs get on him in off coverage, has him playing catch-up far too often.
  • Really should have had more than four interceptions in 2016. Dropped another two that were fairly easy grabs.
  • Will lose the ball late down the field, loses subtle hand fight.
  • Tries to play through WRs hands, but not always successful, needs to time it better.
Player comparison: Trumaine Johnson, Los Angeles Rams

Like Johnson, Tankersley has the length and movement skills to play both press or off coverage and that all-around game adds a versatile element that doesn’t limit the defensive play call.

Bottom line: Tankersley possesses a strong skillset for a cornerback prospect. He’s able to balance aggressive playmaking talent with the reliability to prevent big plays, picking his moments to decisively change games. Tankersley’s size and movement skills will keep multiple teams interesting, from those looking for a pure press-man corner to those teams who prefer changing things up and playing multiple coverages. If Tankersley can improve do a better job at the top of routes where he can get too physical, he can develop into a strong starter in the league.

As much as I was excited that Tankersley was a potential draft target of the Dolphins, that excitement went belly up, after hearing Mike Mayock's blistering take on his lack of desire to tackle. It scared me quite frankly. Thinking he'd be a bust in the pros. I guess the F/O knew something we fans or they in the media, weren't looking at, that is, Tankersley's aggressive nature in press. He's a perfect fit to what this defense needs in a CB. The astute finheaven draft gurus quickly pointed out how Tank was a better man corner than off corner. And so far this pre season he's been good at playing aggressive and closing on plays in front of him. Things are looking up for this young man. Good Luck Cordrea.

Tank was the #1 CB on the NCAA National Champion, Clemson Tigers team. He screwed up occasionally and gives away too many penalties but he competed hard against some very good receivers in big games. I agree that he has quietly impressed in the preseason games.

Tank...Goddy....Taylor....Asiata...McMilly

5 solid selections. Good times
I haven't seen Miami have a potentially solid draft 1 - 7 in my lifetime. The 2017 draft so far, outside of the McMillan injury and slow development of Harris, has been quite good. Tankersley has been having a under the radar type camp, while quickly developing into a potential contributor this year. Taylor is in the mix for a rotational DT and Godchaux being a real Godsend at the other DT spot. I got my fingers crossed

No reason he can't be a top 3 boundary in 2018. What he lacks in his transition is helped made up for with his man and ball awareness and route combo feel.

Right now though I think it's pitch and catch vs 1s on quick cuts stuff.

Too slow in his transition.

I'm interested in your take as a Clemson fan. I thought he was kinda a meh pick in your opinion? He's holding up so far I will say that

He was grabby, let bad players sometiems get open on him for no reason, but he locked up some really good WRs.

Got out shined by Alexander in 2015, but I thought he was just as good. Plays the ball well.

Like what I've seen in the preseason. This could turn out to be a pretty good draft for Miami with potentially maybe four starters down the road.

If Tankersley develops into anything more than a minimal starter I would be surprised.

Tank was my least favorite pick in the draft...really hope he proves me wrong. We definitely need him with Lippett on IR.

I saw the Voch Lombardi youtube on him. The kid can bat passes away excellent downfield. Is better when just playing his own man straight up. Took a bad wrap on his tackling because the whole class was apparently atrocious. Gets real nervous and grabby while locating the ball when he knows he's beat.

Perfect physical prototype with 4.4 speed.

Back
Top Bottom