Tannehill needs to develop better anticipation with his recievers!! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill needs to develop better anticipation with his recievers!!

Raychatfin

Veteran
Reaction score
Seriously what does everyone think? Or am I seeing things.. I don't see how he's not better with Wallace as yet:confused::confused::confused:

His pass protection has gotten somewhat better in the last few weeks (with backup lineman, imagine that!), allowing him to see open receivers more often. I think in weeks prior he was rushed to make passes that were errant (hence lack of anticipation). I don't think his hookups with Mike Wallace were an aborration, I think his anticipation of receivers getting open will only improve with more time to throw. We really need it coming down to the wire here!

C'mon give some examples. What you are complaining about is vague at best.

You are right....Anticipation is somewhat of a untaught skill. He cant rehearse it or fake it. Its something you have or you don't. It starts before the snap that includes orchestrating things that are real or faked. Everything he does is telegraphed and easy for defenses to catch up to. Just look at how we fade in every game.

I guess your not aware that this offense is full of anticipation routes and timing based throws..

I guess you don't.

We are talking about a pro game here. The Game has been played since early childhood for most. Basic route concepts and timing throws will not win you many games. The game is highly evolved and requires an advanced level of QB play. I wish Tannehill even knew the rich history of the position starting with all of the failures (QB/Coaching) since the Dan Marino Days. Most of us assume the kid has a 20 year knowledge level and he doesn't.

We are talking about a pro game here. The Game has been played since early childhood for most. Basic route concepts and timing throws will not win you many games. The game is highly evolved and requires an advanced level of QB play. I wish Tannehill even knew the rich history of the position starting with all of the failures (QB/Coaching) since the Dan Marino Days. Most of us assume the kid has a 20 year knowledge level and he doesn't.
What the hell are you talking about?

Interesting thought. I'm reminded of how with minimal offseason practice time and zero preseason games Brian Hartline was able to instantly have perfect timing with Tannehill. Hartline read the defenses correctly and ran precise routes and seemed to seamlessly mesh with Tannehill even as a rookie. Their timing seems flawless even today (except for the deep ball). So, I wonder if it has anything to do with the receivers maybe being at fault? Let's look:

Hartline: Instant timing, returned this year and continues to have excellent timing
Wallace: New to the team this year, new to Tannehill, new to this type of offense ... not yet developed timing
Gibson: New to the team, new to Tannehill ... took a few games but had developed timing and then got injured
Matthews: Second year player who is spotty with good timing on most plays and what appears to be poor reads on others
Keller: New to the team, new to Tannehill, new to this type of offense ... looked like he had established good timing with Tannehill in pre-season until he left with a season-ending injury
Clay: Returning player who has always been considered raw regarding reading defenses and running routes but with excellent athletic ability ... improving but not there
Sims: Rookie, new to the NFL, new to the team, new to Tannehill ... still has a ways to go with route running and reading defenses
Egnew: Returning player with a lot of physical ability ... seems to be progressing slowly

So, is it Tannehill that is the problem? Maybe, but most of what I'm seeing suggests that newness and receiver issues are the most prominent factor for the slow timing development. If it were Tannehill then I wouldn't have expected to see such quick development with Hartline, Keller and Gibson. The Keller and Gibson reps slowed the development of some of the others as well.

Back
Top Bottom