Tannehill STILL hasn't had surgery

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Phinsguy, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Phinsguy

Phinsguy A True Fan

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article166625052.html

Really.....what the f is up with him???....It's almost like he's one of those anti-vaccine/anti-meds nuts who thinks they know better and wind up suffering from illnesses & disease (or have their children do so) because of their own convoluted beliefs.

I posed a question the other day as to if the doctors made a professional diagnosis that surgery was needed and he refused, could it be grounds for a violation of his contract terms.....probably not, but too bad it wasn't or cannot be part of the language so it could be used to force his hand........IMO it should be standard in most player's contract or you'll wind up getting what we have here......a player who has obtained some medical knowledge but thinks he knows better than medical professionals with decades of real world experience & knowledge.

And no......I'm not saying to forcibly strap him down and do the surgery...I'm saying the team should be able to void his contract if he stubbornly refuses to do what a cadre of experts say must be done to ensure the proper fix for his knee and not let him dictate to the team how & when he'll deal with it.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    gunn34 likes this.
  2. Yessir

Yessir Dolfan for Life Donator

If he doesn't opt for surgery, at this point, you've got to question the dude's IQ.

Not an MD, but I've hardly ever heard of an ACL tear being successfully rehabbed w/o surgery in professional sports. MCL? Yes. ACL, almost always requires reconstructive surgery.

3. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

I'm starting to wonder about this myself. is Ryan the roadblock to the surgery or is this really the advice he's getting. I know nothing about this, I can't stress that enough, but logically this makes no sense to me.

1. Partially tear ACL
    2. Forego surgery and rehab knee for roughly 8 months.
    3. Suffer a similar injury 2 weeks into camp.
    4. Thinking about rehabbing again.

This makes no sense to me.

4. cafinfan408

cafinfan408 Punching Bag

Have to wait for swelling to go down.. surgery in a week or two

5. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

Good Lord what is with all the newly found Finheaven doctors posting on this site.

You do realize it usually takes a minimum of 2 weeks before surgery can even be performed due to swelling needing to subside . . . right?

Tannehill was just injured 8 days ago. I hated that he didn't have the surgery but that ship has sailed . . . him not having surgery yet is not a concern because it isn't possible at the moment.

Why so extreme in your comparisons?

fininpsl, Gonzo, lurking and 5 others like this.
  6. hoops

hoops exited stage left

I'm getting annoyed I dont think swelling is an issue here I think he's sitting on it for some reason.

I'd like to be able to look to 2018 but right now I can't and won't be able to if he doesn't get the surgery done.

7. jessejames123

jessejames123 Scout Team

swelling.

2-3 weeks isnt going to make much of difference if his target date is training camp in 2018.

Hell he will prob be able to do limited drills/drop backs in mini camp to at least keep his arm/timing fresh.

8. jessejames123

jessejames123 Scout Team

Or maybe they are thinking this latest episode is unrelated to his initial injury.....

Highly doubtful though. Go under the knife and come back pissed off next year. Still plenty of time for him to hit the back 9 of his career strong.

9. Phinsguy

Phinsguy A True Fan

If that's true, why is he out walking around on it on the practice field fist bumping people.......he's certainly not doing the normal thing to have swelling go down, namely, stay off of it, limit movement, elevate & ice it.......and, I only saw pieces of the game last night but was he there standing on sideline for 3 hours???.....yeah....not conducive to aiding in the reducing swelling thing.

dolfan_101, gunn34 and Yessir like this.
  10. russianbear

russianbear FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

this....take a Xanax guys Tannehill is smarter than most of the people posting on this forum, especially when it comes to Medical Procedures.....

11. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

Swelling, OK, and what if McMillan has surgery first?

12. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

You are supposed to walk on an ACL injury to prevent stiffness in the knee and muscle atrophy. You think he is suppoed to sit in a chair for 24 hours and ice a knee all day? Come on man.

fininpsl likes this.
  13. josephreese

josephreese Since '76

I'm frustrated with the injury, too, but I'm trying to take a step back and remember that of all the people involved in this situation, RT is the one affected most. If he needs more time to make the right decision, then he needs more time.

14. Phinsguy

Phinsguy A True Fan

That kind of thinking (esp. by HIM) is exactly why he is in the position he is today......he knew better than everyone (including all the doctors) when he chose to forego surgery last time....LOL

MiamiDolfan85 likes this.
  15. Kdawg954

He won't be having it for at least 2 weeks.

16. ChrisTRD

ChrisTRD A True Fan

Here's an idea.... wait for them to announce something? Maybe? I know it's hard to comprehend.

NBP81, Vaark and miami365 like this.
  17. Kdawg954

He of course had the final decision but you are seriously downplaying the amount of input he received from world class doctors and would not have went this route unless it was viewed favorably by the majority of the parties involved (himself, team, top doctors, etc.).

You make it seem like Ryan went rogue and just said **** everybody I'm not doing it.

russianbear and DrMultimedia like this.
  18. Phinsguy

Phinsguy A True Fan

What??!!!.....no you're not.....that may be true AFTER you've gotten the swelling to go down but you're not supposed to be moving around on it or standing on it for any length of time WHILE it's swollen.....that'll only exacerbate the swelling and take longer for it to subside.

19. Kdawg954

Absolutely not true man.

Always Next Year and Phinatic8u like this.
  20. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

No KDawg is right....

Kdawg954 likes this.
  21. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 A True Fan

It's a well known fact that surgery should happen as soon as possible in order for fans to have closure on the issue.

22. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP

Posted this yesterday- thats the answer .

phinphan4life and Kdawg954 like this.
  23. Kdawg954

Honestly, he should be doing this. I know that is frowned upon considering last year, but during this period between initial injury and potential surgery . . . Ryan should be reviewing his steps from last year and reevaluate the process.

I was onboard with surgery from day 1 . . . hell people started to get complacent in regards to the injury due to all the positive reports and yet I kept harping on that being my #1 concern this camp/preseason period.

Hopefully he decides to get it done . . . I am not 100% convinced that he will, but it should be understood why he hasn't made that decision yet.

24. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP

I think the final decision is made next week .. or the week after at the latest.

25. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

And?

They said straight away that he would speak with numerous doctors.

26. Phinsguy

Phinsguy A True Fan

27. Phinsguy

Phinsguy A True Fan

Exactly......just more info to confuse him and that he'd want to "look into" before making a decision......thereby delaying ANY decision (even though the only correct one, of course, being ACL surgery).

28. Kdawg954

I am familiar with the RICE treatment, I'm pretty sure anybody on this site who played sports is familiar with it.

Unlike Tannehill, many of us don't have access to million dollar medical treatment and thousand dollar knee braces that allow you to walk while keeping the the knee relatively stable.

For us, we utilize the RICE treatment plan and it gets rid of the initial swelling and we go about our business, maybe with a little knee pain or a little popping noise here or there, or maybe we go to a physical therapist. Tannehill certainly probably use this method at home after visiting with doctors and getting treatment at a facility.

But before you have ACL surgery, you need to have physical therapy on your knee or get your knee to a point where its almost like you didn't have the injury, except for the fact that the knee would not be stable if you attempt sports, especially professional football. Not to mention the swelling needs to go down completely around the knee, not just on the surface of it. That happens within the first day or 2, utilizing the RICE Treatment, but it could take 2 weeks or more for it to go down enough to where ACL surgery can commence.

Case in point, it has only been 8 days, so that is why he has not had surgery and him walking around in a multi thousand dollar knee brace has no effect on the timetable of the swelling and him working the knee during this potential "pre surgery" process will only aid in his recovery after surgery.

29. Phinsguy

Phinsguy A True Fan

Ok...I agree with most of what you say not all but.....in any case....disregard that he hasn't had surgery yet......he hasn't even DECIDED YET if he will have it....THAT is the troubling point.

Someone upthread suggested he take as long as he needs to make a decision.......ok.......and what if he's still on the fence a month or two from now??

30. Kdawg954

If Ryan decides not to have surgery I think he puts his entire career at risk.

That said I don't know if he has decided or not, it is his right to keep it private and he certainly should do his due dilligence while going through this "pre surgery" phase. When he has surgery, we will know.

Keep in mind, once again he did not completely blow out his ACL so that is the only reason this is even an option, but personally I'd be shocked if he didn't have it.

31. susser2000

susser2000 A True Fan

He will be recovered by the start of 2018, please take a breath.

32. Rugged Man

Rugged Man I'm your Huckleberry Finheaven VIP

I want Ryan to do whatever it takes to come back better than ever, I think we can all agree on that.

What I don't understand is why everyone thinks he's a genius, and more importantly, a medical genius. I mean the guy was a biology major who thought about becoming an orthopedic surgeon, how does that equate to him knowing more about medicine than any other pre med student?

Not trying to start anything, but I've been curious about this line of thinking. Perhaps I've missed something. Nothing about him screams genius to me, unless you add the "for an athlete" caveat.

Phinsguy likes this.
  33. MiamiDolfan85

MiamiDolfan85 DA M.I.A IS WHERE I STAY

lmaoooo...actually the saying is very valid. Sometimes smart people out-think themselves.

34. dolfan_101

dolfan_101 A True Fan

guy is right that obviously ambulating dosnt help with swelling INTIALLY but kdawg is right in that he is under the discretion of world class orthopedists and if he is now over a week past the initial injury & being on his feet is appropriate

35. Digital

Digital Starter

As a person who has had the same sort of I jury multiple times and also decided to forego the surgery initially and also re-injured it a simlar way later ... i understand what Tannehill.has been through and is going through.

IMHO, he NEEDS to have the surgery. I was hoping he would get it last time, but he absolutely needs to get it done now. Have your 2nd and 3rd opinion if you like, but get that surgery done immediately and get started that rehab started.

We support you Tannehill, but you need to do the smart thing and do it soon. Get the surgery. You will absolutely regret it if you do not.

Kdawg954 likes this.
  36. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Maybe as the ultimate team player, Tannehill wants to help Cutler prepare prior to a surgery rendering him immobile... ya think?

Dr Andrews and staff vs FH Armchair sturgeons... hmmmm.. that's a tough one

37. CalDolFan10x14

CalDolFan10x14 Your QB for the next 10 years. Finheaven VIP Donator

38. 72champagne

72champagne the annual ritual

i can assure all of you Tannehill is 'leaning' toward surgery, per this shot of his clipboard.
    Tannehill.png

Always Next Year and Rugged Man like this.
  39. Always Next Year

Always Next Year Starter

First of all; anyone who thinks that the team doctors primary focus is the long term health and welfare of the players is sadly mistaken. Team doctors always do what's best for the team first, if that happens to align with what is best for the player then that is a bonus, but the needs of the team ALWAYS come first. People are saying that "he went against doctors advise" as if all doctors have the same agendas or opinions, but that is not the case. Has anyone learned anything with all of this concussion stuff going on? The league/teams don't care about the players.

Secondly, why do people think that Tannehill just made the decision against surgery in some sort of flippant manner? As Kdawg mentioned earlier, Tanny's financial situation gives him access to better medical care and information than most of us, he's definitely smart enough to take advantage of that. In fact, Tanny would have been remiss if he didn't seek as much advise and information as was available to him, because ultimately his long term health and welfare that should be most important to him and his family.

I get it; I am SUPER disappointed that Tanny is out for the year, especially considering the promise he showed last year, but we all have to remember that these are real people with real lives to be concerned with outside of football, not just play things for our amusement.

Kdawg954 likes this.
  40. Phinsguy

Phinsguy A True Fan

Hmmm...funny though..... he's ok with taking & risking millions of dollars of the team's money to finance his "real life outside of football" .....guess he should have no qualms about the team's concerns or needs, huh?