Tannehill STILL hasn't had surgery | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill STILL hasn't had surgery

That kind of thinking (esp. by HIM) is exactly why he is in the position he is today......he knew better than everyone (including all the doctors) when he chose to forego surgery last time....LOL

He of course had the final decision but you are seriously downplaying the amount of input he received from world class doctors and would not have went this route unless it was viewed favorably by the majority of the parties involved (himself, team, top doctors, etc.).

You make it seem like Ryan went rogue and just said **** everybody I'm not doing it.

You are supposed to walk on an ACL injury to prevent stiffness in the knee and muscle atrophy. You think he is suppoed to sit in a chair for 24 hours and ice a knee all day? Come on man.

What??!!!.....no you're not.....that may be true AFTER you've gotten the swelling to go down but you're not supposed to be moving around on it or standing on it for any length of time WHILE it's swollen.....that'll only exacerbate the swelling and take longer for it to subside.

What??!!!.....no you're not.....that may be true AFTER you've gotten the swelling to go down but you're not supposed to be moving around on it or standing on it for any length of time WHILE it's swollen.....that'll only exacerbate the swelling and take longer for it to subside.

Absolutely not true man.

No KDawg is right....

swelling.

2-3 weeks isnt going to make much of difference if his target date is training camp in 2018.

Hell he will prob be able to do limited drills/drop backs in mini camp to at least keep his arm/timing fresh.

It's a well known fact that surgery should happen as soon as possible in order for fans to have closure on the issue.

Posted this yesterday- thats the answer .

Honestly, he should be doing this. I know that is frowned upon considering last year, but during this period between initial injury and potential surgery . . . Ryan should be reviewing his steps from last year and reevaluate the process.

I was onboard with surgery from day 1 . . . hell people started to get complacent in regards to the injury due to all the positive reports and yet I kept harping on that being my #1 concern this camp/preseason period.

Hopefully he decides to get it done . . . I am not 100% convinced that he will, but it should be understood why he hasn't made that decision yet.

Honestly, he should be doing this. I know that is frowned upon considering last year, but during this period between initial injury and potential surgery . . . Ryan should be reviewing his steps from last year and reevaluate the process.

I was onboard with surgery from day 1 . . . hell people started to get complacent in regards to the injury due to all the positive reports and yet I kept harping on that being my #1 concern this camp/preseason period.

Hopefully he decides to get it done . . . I am not 100% convinced that he will, but it should be understood why he hasn't made that decision yet.

I think the final decision is made next week .. or the week after at the latest.

And?

They said straight away that he would speak with numerous doctors.

And?

They said straight away that he would speak with numerous doctors.

Exactly......just more info to confuse him and that he'd want to "look into" before making a decision......thereby delaying ANY decision (even though the only correct one, of course, being ACL surgery).

Sorry....but the well established treatment of RICE disagrees with you:

http://www.webmd.com/first-aid/tc/rest-ice-compression-and-elevation-rice-topic-overview

"Immediately rest the affected area as much as possible. Experts recommend 24 to 48 hours of no weight-bearing activities. Continued use of a moderate or severely sprained knee can delay healing, increase pain, or even worsen the injury. "

I am familiar with the RICE treatment, I'm pretty sure anybody on this site who played sports is familiar with it.

Unlike Tannehill, many of us don't have access to million dollar medical treatment and thousand dollar knee braces that allow you to walk while keeping the the knee relatively stable.

For us, we utilize the RICE treatment plan and it gets rid of the initial swelling and we go about our business, maybe with a little knee pain or a little popping noise here or there, or maybe we go to a physical therapist. Tannehill certainly probably use this method at home after visiting with doctors and getting treatment at a facility.

But before you have ACL surgery, you need to have physical therapy on your knee or get your knee to a point where its almost like you didn't have the injury, except for the fact that the knee would not be stable if you attempt sports, especially professional football. Not to mention the swelling needs to go down completely around the knee, not just on the surface of it. That happens within the first day or 2, utilizing the RICE Treatment, but it could take 2 weeks or more for it to go down enough to where ACL surgery can commence.

Case in point, it has only been 8 days, so that is why he has not had surgery and him walking around in a multi thousand dollar knee brace has no effect on the timetable of the swelling and him working the knee during this potential "pre surgery" process will only aid in his recovery after surgery.

I am familiar with the RICE treatment, I'm pretty sure anybody on this site who played sports is familiar with it.

Unlike Tannehill, many of us don't have access to million dollar medical treatment and thousand dollar knee braces that allow you to walk while keeping the the knee relatively stable.

For us, we utilize the RICE treatment plan and it gets rid of the initial swelling and we go about our business, maybe with a little knee pain or a little popping noise here or there, or maybe we go to a physical therapist. Tannehill certainly probably use this method at home after visiting with doctors and getting treatment at a facility.

But before you have ACL surgery, you need to have physical therapy on your knee or get your knee to a point where its almost like you didn't have the injury, except for the fact that the knee would not be stable if you attempt sports, especially professional football. Not to mention the swelling needs to go down completely around the knee, not just on the surface of it. That happens within the first day or 2, utilizing the RICE Treatment, but it could take 2 weeks or more for it to go down enough to where ACL surgery can commence.

Case in point, it has only been 8 days, so that is why he has not had surgery and him walking around in a multi thousand dollar knee brace has no effect on the timetable of the swelling and him working the knee during this potential "pre surgery" process will only aid in his recovery after surgery.

Ok...I agree with most of what you say not all but.....in any case....disregard that he hasn't had surgery yet......he hasn't even DECIDED YET if he will have it....THAT is the troubling point.

Someone upthread suggested he take as long as he needs to make a decision.......ok.......and what if he's still on the fence a month or two from now??

Ok...I agree with most of what you say not all but.....in any case....disregard that he hasn't had surgery yet......he hasn't even DECIDED YET if he will have it....THAT is the troubling point.

Someone upthread suggested he take as long as he needs to make a decision.......ok.......and what if he's still on the fence a month or two from now??

If Ryan decides not to have surgery I think he puts his entire career at risk.

That said I don't know if he has decided or not, it is his right to keep it private and he certainly should do his due dilligence while going through this "pre surgery" phase. When he has surgery, we will know.

Keep in mind, once again he did not completely blow out his ACL so that is the only reason this is even an option, but personally I'd be shocked if he didn't have it.

Back
Top Bottom