Tannehill - Wallace Overthrows & Underthrows

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by next-year, Apr 15, 2014.

1. next-year

next-year MostHated

Saw this a while back figured I'd post this Since i haven't seen it on here.

It's pretty hard to watch all of the yards/td's we left on the field this year.

Love Tannehill but a lot of these are EASY throws for an NFL QB, He simply HAS to get better (which we all already know)

[video=youtube;dNLTdNxhFvw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNLTdNxhFvw[/video]

MasterMathais19 is the owner on youtube

2. dnespins

dnespins Smokin' n Jokin' Finheaven VIP

pass rush was a non-factor. just bad throws.

3. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

True because Wallace would have easily broke the NFL record for TDs and thats being modest

4. illscriptures

illscriptures We need better LB's

The good news is that their timing should get better with a year under their belt. If Tannehill makes the leap this year and we stay healthy, we can go deep in the playoffs.

5. thefranchisedef

thefranchisedef A True Fan

the thing that bothers me isn't tannehills over and under throws, because ben under threw and over threw him plenty. I'ts the fact that alot of these balls could be caught-- with more effort on mike wallaces part. You aren't going to run under every pass and stroll into the endzone. sometimes, you have to lay out or fight for the ball. Most of these balls are catchable!

6. mega-fin-love

mega-fin-love Just trust me Donator

Those passes were not perfect and Tanne needs to improve no doubt.....but Wallace could have caught pretty much all of them. That girly ***** needs to lay out for the ball once in a while and show some damn fight.

7. OnDaChainWax

OnDaChainWax Banned Hammered

I count 2 plays in the vid in where he couldve laid out.

And what about laying out? You can compare it to the under throws. He dives makes a magnificent catch and gets downed on a play that shouldve been an automatic TD.

2 dropped balls completely his fault but he wouldve had a better chance if he were led and not have to deal with the traffic of hands for an under thrown football.

All the rest were tds left on the field with under throws.

8. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

^^^^EXACTLY! Tanne by know means was perfect. Obviously, some of it was on him and some of it was on the O-lines part. But, anyone giving Mr.Wallace a free pass is absolutely BLIND.

Mr.Wallace, seems to expect every single pass to be on the money and plays like it. Thats a CRITICAL MENTAL ERROR on the part of the "#1" receiver.

Every single pass isn't going to be perfect. What are you, Mr.Wallace going to do to make something of the pass?

I understand that Mr.Wallace likely will never be a "Physical" WR, But that receiver coach, at the very least, absolutely needs to get on him about using his "attempts" at catching the ball to generate some "easy" pass interference calls.

9. FearTheBeard

FearTheBeard FearTheBurke

So would every WR if the deep ball was completed 100% of the time. He's below average at it no doubt, think we understate how hard it is to get acquainted with a WR with Wallace's speed in just one season.

10. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

Painful to watch some of them but it's important for the team to make progress and this is a real issue. I'm still of the view that more of the blame needs to be placed on Tannehill, particularly with the under thrown balls, where Wallace is waiting for them to flutter down.
    There was one miss against Carolina where Ryan over throws Mike. While this miss cost us the game (and probably a playoff spot), it showed that Tannehill really does have the arm strength to throw with considerable velocity, when needed. It was a good throw that almost connected. I am therefore left with the conclusion that with a lot more practice they can improve the deep ball completion percentage.
    The question is whether Tannehill can throw at this velocity consistently and why we didn't see more throws showcasing the cannon in other games?
    The other interesting thing that may be under consideration is the prospect of drafting a second real speed weapon on the team with good route running skills. It would take a high draft pick (and we have a lot of needs) but having two serious deep ball threats would scare the hell out of some Defensive Coordinators.

11. MRojas4

MRojas4 The Cheese Connoisseur Finheaven VIP

So..... Does Wallace plan on fighting for the ball anytime soon or does he expect perfect passes every time?

Don't get me wrong THill needs to tighten up that deep timing and accuracy but ****.

Would it hurt Wallace to put forth some effort on some of those plays?

12. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Put Gibson into Wallace's body and half of them would have ended up as receptions.

13. BahamaFinFan78

BahamaFinFan78 A True Fan

That is just sad to watch; very depressing.

14. NBP81

NBP81 Yippi ka yay mother******! Donator

I think one of the issue with the deep ball is everyone one pretty much watches every throw Tannehill makes while they only watch other teams highlights.... Needless to say, the completion % in highlights is pretty god damn high. Anyone saying the deep throw is one of the easiest throw to make is seriously disconnected with the game of football...

15. Chubby

Chubby SUPERFAN

This is one of the main reasons why i honestly cannot stand Wallace playing for the Dolphins.
    1. He has zero football IQ.
    2. Has no heart
    3. Is a body catcher.

If we had a true #1 WR this whole overthrow/underthrow situation would be minimal at best... dont mistaken the lack of effort from Wallace as a major reason why this is so glaring...
    Chubbs

16. FSU Truth

FSU Truth The North Remembers Finheaven VIP

A majority of deep balls are under/over thrown....granted this is Tannehill's weakness and an area he needs to improve, but he completed plenty of nice deep balls to Hartline, Clay and Gibson.

17. warren4prez

warren4prez Well-Known Member

COSIGN!!! To much waiting on Wallaces partt!!! Make an effort to come back or go up for the ball.

18. 1972fins

1972fins Well-Known Member

I agree, you could see it when Hartline got injured against the Jets, Wallace was useless he couldn't get off the line I started to think **** Hartline is the deep threat

19. Fin Thirteen

Fin Thirteen FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Plenty of us said it at the time and re-viewing just confirms it.... Tannehill is letting it go too late. He needs to drop back, set his feet properly and put it up early for Wallace to go and get. In almost all of those, he slavishly went through his progressions, then had to move around to buy time and when he finally pulled the trigger either:

1) His feet weren't set properly so he didn't get the ball flight he was after
    2) Wallace was already at 60yds plus, making a throw in stride much harder or
    3) The cover had tightened on Wallace's initial separation

Almost all of those throws in the video fall into those categories. Whether Wallace could, woulda, shoulda caught them is Wallace's issue. That doesn't absolve Tannehill of putting up an accurate throw. If you're going to let the play develop like Tannehill does, you need to make the space to get your feet set and you need to be pulling the trigger before you reach the limits of your accuracy. Better still, when the throw is on you trust your receiver more, ignore Philbin's voice in your ear about progressions and ball security, and you put it up there where realistically only Wallace has the chance to haul it in.

20. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP

Yes i agree its not an arm stregth issue its an anticipation letting it go sooner problem

21. mrbunglez

mrbunglez Reading Is Fundamental Donator

If you look at the elite receivers in the NFL, they at least try to make an effort to go for the ball whether it be a bit underthrown or a bit overthrown, that video shows me Wallace didn't even look like he tried. The overthrows by Tannehill are no excuse either he needs to work on that timing.

22. jessejames123

jessejames123 Scout Team

Its annoying to see other #1 receivers around the league make a play on the ball. So many WR's bail out their QB's and then the QB gets the credit. How many times do you see megatron, dez, andre johnson, aj greene, s smith,b marshall, etc high point a ball, stop and come back to make a tough catch, or lay out for one? But nooooo our WR Wallace runs straight (fast and gets open indeed) but holds out his alligator body catching arms and expects his QB to place it delicately in his hands 60 yds down the field... give me a break. Yes RT needs to work on his timing and delivery. But man it sucks to watch. A deep 50yd ball will always be a few yards off target, it is up to the receiver to manipulate the route/defender and get it.

23. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP

Good point Mathew Stafford made a career because Calvin is his WR. Stafford is as talented and his physical make up is your dream QB. But between the ears Stafford is horrible

24. hoops

hoops exited stage left

that's what happens when a wr lets the ball get into his body all the time instead of going up and getting it...that said the qb needs to place some of those balls better...wallace also got knocked off his gate a few times making overthrows look worse than they were...

frustrating no doubt

25. gdiaz0358

gdiaz0358 Rookie

Laying out running full speed is easier said than done, and may result in injury. I think Tannehill needs to work on his deep ball a lot more, and put it in a place for Wallace to catch the ball easier. He was constantly open and I blame Tannehill, not so much Wallace. Could he have laid out? Yes, but what would it be worth if he dives, doesnt catch the ball, and breaks a rib or wrist, and then all of you would say hes dumb for diving.

26. hoops

hoops exited stage left

laying out when you are a paperweight wr like wallace is a good way to separate a shoulder or tear a labrum or worse i don't really care about that but using your body to come back to the ball and go thru the db to draw penalties or go get the ball instead of waiting for it to come to you is not too much to ask for...

it's just not what wallace is though...so i can't say i'm surprised or it comes as a shock he doesnt do any of it...he wants it in stride over the shoulder drop in as if on a pillow...always has on the verticals

27. JTC111

JTC111 Viva la resistance!!!

Wallace has never really been that guy so to blame him for not being the receiver he's never been before doesn't make a lot of sense. We knew what he was when we signed him and it's up to coaching staff to make RT/MW a productive combination.

28. TPD1479

TPD1479 Seasoned Veteran

that last one against NY cost us playoffs they hook up its 14-0 and game goes way different. But prob for the best since it got rid if Ireland

29. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

ding ding ding

30. napsndreds

napsndreds A True Fan

exactly man, the blame is on tannehill. Tannehill himself will say he is to blame. Why? because his job is to get the ball to the wr. If it was anyone else with a low salary we would be dissing tannehill. But because Wallace is over paid we expect him to play like megaton and grown to 7 foot tall and gobble up everything in sight. we want him to body cbs and toss em out the way at the line of scrimmage and out jump them for balls. Wallace is who he is.. a speedster who you need to be able to get the ball to in stride. Thats what his skills are an what we brought em here for...if he fights for the ball thats a plus but his part of the bargain is to get open, get deep and catch the ball when its catchable..Tannehills job is to get the ball to the wr and his part of the bargain wasn't lived up to..period...how can you not see this? No one is perfect but tannehill needs to fix it for us to reap the benefits...its either or...if you want a guy to fight for the ball and go up for the ball draft kelvin benjamin...he won't have the speed and probably has worst hands than wallace...you can't have it all.

31. FishTank

FishTank Well-Known Member

There's blame to go in both directions with Tannehill to Mike Wallace. One question I keep asking on this topic is why doesn't Brian Hartline have this issue with Tannehill passes? Does Tannehill usually hit Hartline in stride? Seems that way.

Something nice to consider is that year two with any receiver is usually a big step up. I think it has a lot to do with getting comfortable whether it's with the QB, the coaches, or the culture of the NFL. Wallace has been around, so my thought about year two is obviously riding on Tannehill and Wallace having that extra sense about what the other is up to out there on the field. I saw Tannehill attempt some lob passes to Wallace, which is a nice play under tight cover. That's the kind of play I see from the better QBs in the league, and their receivers seem to know what's up before the ball is in the air. I hope to see that from these two this year.

32. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i dont think i have ever seen kelvin benjamin "fight" for the ball...i have seen him just physically overmatch guys from a size stand point at the collegiate level and climb the ladder but i haven't seen any physicality to create space or hand use from the player...and it's something that for him to play to his measurables in the pros he's gonna have to develop...

anyways just something i have noticed...

33. FSU Truth

FSU Truth The North Remembers Finheaven VIP

I'm sorry, but deep sideline passes attempting to hit a WR in stride is one of the hardest throws to complete in the NFL...

34. kizzaboo

kizzaboo Seasoned Veteran

Yes and no. Much of what you are talking about is a result of poor play design, not Tannehill waiting too long to set and release. He is simply running the plays as they are called. For example the carolina play calls for a 4 yard mesh point fake hand off, roll out the opposite way with moving pocket and tannehill hitch steps to be able to get the ball to wallace 60 yards down the field. Not a straight line, mind you but yard markers down the field. Its mind boggling

Also no play design should require a 60yd or longer toss. Sherman refuses to adapt to his wr's strengths and weakness'. Hense the whole bull**** on how you should be able to "plug receiver a into receiver c" and the offense shouldnt skip a beat. Anyone else remember hearing about that philosophy from the coaching staff?

35. napsndreds

napsndreds A True Fan

Tannehill under throws hartline a lot too. You jus don't expect hartline to be down field wide open like wallace...but when hartline catches passes aside from 1 or 2 big plays... he's catching them falling down reaching backwards for the ball.

36. napsndreds

napsndreds A True Fan

His accuracy is just off on the deep passes.. He doesn't seem to have any precision on the deep pass. if he wants to throw it far he jus puts a lot of power behind the throw, if he has time to throw..theres no anticipation of where wallace will be down field.. I guess thats something that both need to practice on , but tannehill should be able to look down field, and gauge how fast wallace is running and drop the ball where he is going to be when the ball gets there. right now he jus sees wallace open and is jus throwing it as far as he cans..then when he thinks about the throw he is under throwing it...thank god there hasn't been any crazy turnovers . I think he probably has a better chance completely these passes down field on the move and not standing in the pocket.

37. Canadi-Phin

Canadi-Phin I hate everyone else in the AFC East

That video gives me hope more than anything. We are just a bit away from being explosive. Maybe Lazor can teach him better long ball habits. Lets remember he has had the same guy as his mentor for 6 years.

38. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

Another thing to keep in mind is that guy that used to post here before getting a job as a pro scout said Tannehill looked to have some technique issues that were likely affecting the deep ball. This is where Lazor could be a big help.

39. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

Blame goes on Tannehill and Wallace. Some of those throws were catchable with more effort while others were RT's mistake.

40. next-year

next-year MostHated

Yes that's because there are not usually WR's getting the kind of separation Wallace had on a lot of these plays, So statistically it isn't a high percentage pass throughout the league which I'm not arguing. When a QB ( in college or pros) has a receiver as open as Wallace on some of these plays they should be gimmes.