Tannehill - Wallace Overthrows & Underthrows | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill - Wallace Overthrows & Underthrows

A majority of deep balls are under/over thrown....granted this is Tannehill's weakness and an area he needs to improve, but he completed plenty of nice deep balls to Hartline, Clay and Gibson.

the thing that bothers me isn't tannehills over and under throws, because ben under threw and over threw him plenty. I'ts the fact that alot of these balls could be caught-- with more effort on mike wallaces part. You aren't going to run under every pass and stroll into the endzone. sometimes, you have to lay out or fight for the ball. Most of these balls are catchable!

COSIGN!!! To much waiting on Wallaces partt!!! Make an effort to come back or go up for the ball.

A majority of deep balls are under/over thrown....granted this is Tannehill's weakness and an area he needs to improve, but he completed plenty of nice deep balls to Hartline, Clay and Gibson.

I agree, you could see it when Hartline got injured against the Jets, Wallace was useless he couldn't get off the line I started to think **** Hartline is the deep threat

Plenty of us said it at the time and re-viewing just confirms it.... Tannehill is letting it go too late. He needs to drop back, set his feet properly and put it up early for Wallace to go and get. In almost all of those, he slavishly went through his progressions, then had to move around to buy time and when he finally pulled the trigger either:

1) His feet weren't set properly so he didn't get the ball flight he was after
2) Wallace was already at 60yds plus, making a throw in stride much harder or
3) The cover had tightened on Wallace's initial separation

Almost all of those throws in the video fall into those categories. Whether Wallace could, woulda, shoulda caught them is Wallace's issue. That doesn't absolve Tannehill of putting up an accurate throw. If you're going to let the play develop like Tannehill does, you need to make the space to get your feet set and you need to be pulling the trigger before you reach the limits of your accuracy. Better still, when the throw is on you trust your receiver more, ignore Philbin's voice in your ear about progressions and ball security, and you put it up there where realistically only Wallace has the chance to haul it in.

Yes i agree its not an arm stregth issue its an anticipation letting it go sooner problem

If you look at the elite receivers in the NFL, they at least try to make an effort to go for the ball whether it be a bit underthrown or a bit overthrown, that video shows me Wallace didn't even look like he tried. The overthrows by Tannehill are no excuse either he needs to work on that timing.

Its annoying to see other #1 receivers around the league make a play on the ball. So many WR's bail out their QB's and then the QB gets the credit. How many times do you see megatron, dez, andre johnson, aj greene, s smith,b marshall, etc high point a ball, stop and come back to make a tough catch, or lay out for one? But nooooo our WR Wallace runs straight (fast and gets open indeed) but holds out his alligator body catching arms and expects his QB to place it delicately in his hands 60 yds down the field... give me a break. Yes RT needs to work on his timing and delivery. But man it sucks to watch. A deep 50yd ball will always be a few yards off target, it is up to the receiver to manipulate the route/defender and get it.

Its annoying to see other #1 receivers around the league make a play on the ball. So many WR's bail out their QB's and then the QB gets the credit. How many times do you see megatron, dez, andre johnson, aj greene, s smith,b marshall, etc high point a ball, stop and come back to make a tough catch, or lay out for one? But nooooo our WR Wallace runs straight (fast and gets open indeed) but holds out his alligator body catching arms and expects his QB to place it delicately in his hands 60 yds down the field... give me a break. Yes RT needs to work on his timing and delivery. But man it sucks to watch. A deep 50yd ball will always be a few yards off target, it is up to the receiver to manipulate the route/defender and get it.
Good point Mathew Stafford made a career because Calvin is his WR. Stafford is as talented and his physical make up is your dream QB. But between the ears Stafford is horrible

that's what happens when a wr lets the ball get into his body all the time instead of going up and getting it...that said the qb needs to place some of those balls better...wallace also got knocked off his gate a few times making overthrows look worse than they were...

frustrating no doubt

Laying out running full speed is easier said than done, and may result in injury. I think Tannehill needs to work on his deep ball a lot more, and put it in a place for Wallace to catch the ball easier. He was constantly open and I blame Tannehill, not so much Wallace. Could he have laid out? Yes, but what would it be worth if he dives, doesnt catch the ball, and breaks a rib or wrist, and then all of you would say hes dumb for diving.

laying out when you are a paperweight wr like wallace is a good way to separate a shoulder or tear a labrum or worse i don't really care about that but using your body to come back to the ball and go thru the db to draw penalties or go get the ball instead of waiting for it to come to you is not too much to ask for...

it's just not what wallace is though...so i can't say i'm surprised or it comes as a shock he doesnt do any of it...he wants it in stride over the shoulder drop in as if on a pillow...always has on the verticals

I'ts the fact that alot of these balls could be caught-- with more effort on mike wallaces part.
Those passes were not perfect and Tanne needs to improve no doubt.....but Wallace could have caught pretty much all of them. That girly bitch needs to lay out for the ball once in a while and show some damn fight.
So..... Does Wallace plan on fighting for the ball anytime soon or does he expect perfect passes every time?
To much waiting on Wallaces partt!!! Make an effort to come back or go up for the ball.

Wallace has never really been that guy so to blame him for not being the receiver he's never been before doesn't make a lot of sense. We knew what he was when we signed him and it's up to coaching staff to make RT/MW a productive combination.

that last one against NY cost us playoffs they hook up its 14-0 and game goes way different. But prob for the best since it got rid if Ireland

exactly man, the blame is on tannehill. Tannehill himself will say he is to blame. Why? because his job is to get the ball to the wr. If it was anyone else with a low salary we would be dissing tannehill. But because Wallace is over paid we expect him to play like megaton and grown to 7 foot tall and gobble up everything in sight. we want him to body cbs and toss em out the way at the line of scrimmage and out jump them for balls. Wallace is who he is.. a speedster who you need to be able to get the ball to in stride. Thats what his skills are an what we brought em here for...if he fights for the ball thats a plus but his part of the bargain is to get open, get deep and catch the ball when its catchable..Tannehills job is to get the ball to the wr and his part of the bargain wasn't lived up to..period...how can you not see this? No one is perfect but tannehill needs to fix it for us to reap the benefits...its either or...if you want a guy to fight for the ball and go up for the ball draft kelvin benjamin...he won't have the speed and probably has worst hands than wallace...you can't have it all.

Back
Top Bottom