Tannehill - Wallace Overthrows & Underthrows | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill - Wallace Overthrows & Underthrows

There's blame to go in both directions with Tannehill to Mike Wallace. One question I keep asking on this topic is why doesn't Brian Hartline have this issue with Tannehill passes? Does Tannehill usually hit Hartline in stride? Seems that way.

Something nice to consider is that year two with any receiver is usually a big step up. I think it has a lot to do with getting comfortable whether it's with the QB, the coaches, or the culture of the NFL. Wallace has been around, so my thought about year two is obviously riding on Tannehill and Wallace having that extra sense about what the other is up to out there on the field. I saw Tannehill attempt some lob passes to Wallace, which is a nice play under tight cover. That's the kind of play I see from the better QBs in the league, and their receivers seem to know what's up before the ball is in the air. I hope to see that from these two this year.

i dont think i have ever seen kelvin benjamin "fight" for the ball...i have seen him just physically overmatch guys from a size stand point at the collegiate level and climb the ladder but i haven't seen any physicality to create space or hand use from the player...and it's something that for him to play to his measurables in the pros he's gonna have to develop...

anyways just something i have noticed...

Saw this a while back figured I'd post this Since i haven't seen it on here.

It's pretty hard to watch all of the yards/td's we left on the field this year.

Love Tannehill but a lot of these are EASY throws for an NFL QB, He simply HAS to get better (which we all already know)

I'm sorry, but deep sideline passes attempting to hit a WR in stride is one of the hardest throws to complete in the NFL...

Plenty of us said it at the time and re-viewing just confirms it.... Tannehill is letting it go too late. He needs to drop back, set his feet properly and put it up early for Wallace to go and get. In almost all of those, he slavishly went through his progressions, then had to move around to buy time and when he finally pulled the trigger either:

1) His feet weren't set properly so he didn't get the ball flight he was after
2) Wallace was already at 60yds plus, making a throw in stride much harder or
3) The cover had tightened on Wallace's initial separation

Almost all of those throws in the video fall into those categories. Whether Wallace could, woulda, shoulda caught them is Wallace's issue. That doesn't absolve Tannehill of putting up an accurate throw. If you're going to let the play develop like Tannehill does, you need to make the space to get your feet set and you need to be pulling the trigger before you reach the limits of your accuracy. Better still, when the throw is on you trust your receiver more, ignore Philbin's voice in your ear about progressions and ball security, and you put it up there where realistically only Wallace has the chance to haul it in.

Yes and no. Much of what you are talking about is a result of poor play design, not Tannehill waiting too long to set and release. He is simply running the plays as they are called. For example the carolina play calls for a 4 yard mesh point fake hand off, roll out the opposite way with moving pocket and tannehill hitch steps to be able to get the ball to wallace 60 yards down the field. Not a straight line, mind you but yard markers down the field. Its mind boggling

Also no play design should require a 60yd or longer toss. Sherman refuses to adapt to his wr's strengths and weakness'. Hense the whole bull**** on how you should be able to "plug receiver a into receiver c" and the offense shouldnt skip a beat. Anyone else remember hearing about that philosophy from the coaching staff?

There's blame to go in both directions with Tannehill to Mike Wallace. One question I keep asking on this topic is why doesn't Brian Hartline have this issue with Tannehill passes? Does Tannehill usually hit Hartline in stride? Seems that way.

Something nice to consider is that year two with any receiver is usually a big step up. I think it has a lot to do with getting comfortable whether it's with the QB, the coaches, or the culture of the NFL. Wallace has been around, so my thought about year two is obviously riding on Tannehill and Wallace having that extra sense about what the other is up to out there on the field. I saw Tannehill attempt some lob passes to Wallace, which is a nice play under tight cover. That's the kind of play I see from the better QBs in the league, and their receivers seem to know what's up before the ball is in the air. I hope to see that from these two this year.

Tannehill under throws hartline a lot too. You jus don't expect hartline to be down field wide open like wallace...but when hartline catches passes aside from 1 or 2 big plays... he's catching them falling down reaching backwards for the ball.

Yes and no. Much of what you are talking about is a result of poor play design, not Tannehill waiting too long to set and release. He is simply running the plays as they are called. For example the carolina play calls for a 4 yard mesh point fake hand off, roll out the opposite way with moving pocket and tannehill hitch steps to be able to get the ball to wallace 60 yards down the field. Not a straight line, mind you but yard markers down the field. Its mind boggling

Also no play design should require a 60yd or longer toss. Sherman refuses to adapt to his wr's strengths and weakness'. Hense the whole bull**** on how you should be able to "plug receiver a into receiver c" and the offense shouldnt skip a beat. Anyone else remember hearing about that philosophy from the coaching staff?

His accuracy is just off on the deep passes.. He doesn't seem to have any precision on the deep pass. if he wants to throw it far he jus puts a lot of power behind the throw, if he has time to throw..theres no anticipation of where wallace will be down field.. I guess thats something that both need to practice on , but tannehill should be able to look down field, and gauge how fast wallace is running and drop the ball where he is going to be when the ball gets there. right now he jus sees wallace open and is jus throwing it as far as he cans..then when he thinks about the throw he is under throwing it...thank god there hasn't been any crazy turnovers . I think he probably has a better chance completely these passes down field on the move and not standing in the pocket.

That video gives me hope more than anything. We are just a bit away from being explosive. Maybe Lazor can teach him better long ball habits. Lets remember he has had the same guy as his mentor for 6 years.

Another thing to keep in mind is that guy that used to post here before getting a job as a pro scout said Tannehill looked to have some technique issues that were likely affecting the deep ball. This is where Lazor could be a big help.

Blame goes on Tannehill and Wallace. Some of those throws were catchable with more effort while others were RT's mistake.

I'm sorry, but deep sideline passes attempting to hit a WR in stride is one of the hardest throws to complete in the NFL...

Yes that's because there are not usually WR's getting the kind of separation Wallace had on a lot of these plays, So statistically it isn't a high percentage pass throughout the league which I'm not arguing. When a QB ( in college or pros) has a receiver as open as Wallace on some of these plays they should be gimmes.

His accuracy is just off on the deep passes.. He doesn't seem to have any precision on the deep pass. if he wants to throw it far he jus puts a lot of power behind the throw, if he has time to throw..theres no anticipation of where wallace will be down field.. I guess thats something that both need to practice on , but tannehill should be able to look down field, and gauge how fast wallace is running and drop the ball where he is going to be when the ball gets there. right now he jus sees wallace open and is jus throwing it as far as he cans..then when he thinks about the throw he is under throwing it...thank god there hasn't been any crazy turnovers . I think he probably has a better chance completely these passes down field on the move and not standing in the pocket.

The point is that you cant expect ANY Starting QB to be consistent on a 60 yard marker throw. You just cant. Just because you and I have all seen highlights of beautiful bombs for tds doesnt mean that is an expectation from deep throw to deep throw. Tannehill is simply average. He isnt terrible and he isnt the best. I think that the fans' perception is a little off on how good or bad Tannehill is with the deep ball.

Part of the problem is that when a fan watches these huge 55+ throws to Wallace, people just expect that you can be consistently accurate with it. You cant, its not realistic and no QB is expected to be anymore or any less accurate with that particular throw. Hense, the reason why it is such a rare throw.

Tannehill has both an average bomb pass and an average deep ball. There is a difference and it needs to be recognized as such.

To the Bold. He has a better chance of completing 35-50 yard marker balls to the sideline. These crazy play designs A) require a crap O-line to hold up for more than 3 seconds. B) Position Wallace to the sidelines and require him to haul ass from the get go so then when the play is finally developed he is already 35+ yards down field before the ball is released.

Im hoping Lazor either adds stunted routes to Wallaces go routes when running the long extended backfield action. You just cant run that kind of backfield action with wallace running a plain go route.

Larry Fitzgerald would have caught at least 75% of those. Wallace needs to watch how true #1 WR's would react to those throws an learn from them.

Couple thoughts...

#1 Tannehill simply is not accustomed to the speed of Wallace.. Bess and Hartline are not exactly "speedsters"
#2 There are times where he should step into his throws
#3 in 2012 his deep accuracy was 72.9% last year it was 32.8% so he's clearly capable of being a GREAT deep ball thrower https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/04/04/ryan-tannehill-the-florida-key/

That PFF article is a good read in general.. but the main issue is TIMING Tannehill is late almost every one of those throws to Wallace.. As Marino said "once you see a defenders back you know he's beat" he's often late which causes him to over compensate and overthrow Wallace.. 72.9% as a rookie QB is quite an accomplishment. If you can do it some of the time, you can do it all of the time. I really look for him to improve in that department in 2014.

All you guys expecting Wallace to fight for he ball haven't been paying attention to his career. He did bring a couple of those under throws in this video so, he did make up for some of the bad balls Tannehill threw to him. In this video, tannehill was awful on each throw. Wallace made some of those catches so, in this video, he made some plays. Tannehill made none. Some of you guys expect Wallace to make RT look good and hold him to that standard, but give RT a pass? if this video is the evidence, RT was bad on each and every play. Wallace could've laid out on a couple plays but, he never makes a bad play(in this video). If he makes those catches he went above and beyond and made up for RTs mediocrity.

Larry Fitzgerald would have caught at least 75% of those. Wallace needs to watch how true #1 WR's would react to those throws an learn from them.

Yeah because he wouldn't have been as far downfield as Wallace and the throw would've been easier to make for RT. I will admit though that Fitz will fight for the ball more than Wallace but, we knew that before we signed him. Why is everyone expecting Wallace to be a fighter for the ball? He wasn't that in Pittsburgh why are we expecting him to do it? We all know he was bought here for one reason.......Speed. Tannehill has to get in tuned with his speed. Tannehill takes the blame for the throws we just saw.

Back
Top Bottom