Tannehill's cadence is tipping off the running game

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MD20, Sep 11, 2013.

1. MD20

MD20 Rookie

For all of those that have last years games, or sundays game recorded, can anyone show me "one" play, that was not a running play, when Tannehills cadence ends with a " GO GO"?

I am not an NFL coach, but I have coached enough football to pick up verbal tendancies. Is it possible that defenses have also caught on to this?

2. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

I suspect our staff might have picked up on this if that was the issue

3. greasyObnoxious

greasyObnoxious I love lamp Finheaven VIP Donator

i don't remember, but to be honest i didn't re-watch the game or do a snap count. we were in the shotgun a lot against Cleveland. we used the silent count in the shotgun and didn't run a single time from that formation.

4. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 I can get you a toe Finheaven VIP Donator

Teams would've caught this after watching the game tape last year. I don't know if it's true or not b/c I don't have a copy of the game. If it is true, it's pathetic on the offense's part. A high school team would be able to pick up on that.

5. mmikel30

mmikel30 Starter

Tell coach Philbin that

6. MiZFiT

MiZFiT FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

This is so stupid. The cadence is constantly switched up when Ryan is under center and it doesn't matter if the play is a run, PA pass, or pass. The cadence is most always GO-GO with a few GOs and GO-GO-GOs mixed in. This is why the defense tends to jump multiple times when playing the phins.

Move along.

7. MD20

MD20 Rookie

Then someone please show me a single pass play, where Tannehill is under center, and the cadence is " GO GO".

I'm not argueing, I'm asking.

8. 34miami23

34miami23 Well-Known Member

No he did this last year ... I will try to find a better video but look around the 2:20 mark (announcers aren't talking over as much) and on he says GO GO

[video=youtube;jU0rgESIn_A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU0rgESIn_A[/video]

9. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

The cadence in a Mike Sherman offense is either "Go" or "Go Go". Just one or two.

If anything, Mike Pouncey is giving away the snap timing much more than Ryan Tannehill. Watch closely and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

10. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

It is true, its by design, and its quite brilliant if you think about it.

11. Dolfan5000

Dolfan5000 Mark my words, I'll get mine

This past weekend i believe our formation tipped off the run more than anything. Maybe moreso the personnel, every run seemed to be from a 2 wide receiver singleback set from what i noticed.

12. traptses

traptses Starter

No I think it's whenever Clutts gets put into the backfield that's tipping off the run game

13. Dolfan5000

Dolfan5000 Mark my words, I'll get mine

I only saw Clutts come in on a handful of snaps.

14. SSnowman

SSnowman Starter

I'm pretty sure every year I've been registered on this forum somebody has posted "such and such player is tipping off the opposing team by doing this".

15. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

If true, just adds even more predicability to an already extrememly predictable offense.

16. BenchFiedler

BenchFiedler Undrafted Pro-Bowler

Mr. Reggie Bush didn't have any problems last year with the Go Go!!!!

17. scodoublet

scodoublet Zeroed In Donator

Not sure about the Go Go, but Tanne sure doesn't trick anyone when handing the ball off.

18. thefranchisedef

thefranchisedef A True Fan

In that video tannehill didn't say go go on any pass play. You may be right! Either way its an easy fix. Personally I'm pissed off that we don't run pistol because it suits tannehills strength and will spread the defense out. We don't need a damn fullback in clutts when we have clay. I rather play three wide and clay playing down than have a damn full back

19. SSnowman

SSnowman Starter

Must be why he excelled at the play action pass last year, huh?

Kinda hard to fool a team when you're running for less than a yard an attempt.

20. 34miami23

34miami23 Well-Known Member

Right before Bush's nice run AROUND the 2:20 mark it's more audible. He def says it.

21. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

Clutts played 6 snaps.

22. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

It's probably a combination of bad blocking by our offensive line, and Tannehill not having much experience yet at the QB spot (verbalizing the snap count), as to why we are not getting much yardage running the ball. I think our RB's also need to step it up. But the Browns seemed to be jamming the line of scrimmage and daring us to throw it. Why doesn't Sherman work in a screen pass every now and then?

23. hoops

hoops exited stage left

too funny...

24. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

but in preseason, teams were jumping offsides in bunches in every game. I dont think its cadence. I think its just more personell and set up. RT is in shot gun alot so when he is not and you have two in the backfield or Clay at H-back, they tend to think run.

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

I tend to give Browns credit for stopping our weakness. yip yip yahoo. we won.

25. MRojas4

MRojas4 The Cheese Connoisseur Finheaven VIP

I see what OP is tking about. But Tannehill does mix it up with a single GO or GO-GO, also some silent count worked in etc. it also works in the Fins advantage for teams to think they have an "up" on snap count. I've seen plenty times Tannehill going with a loud GO-GO and watch entire defense move giving away the play, check off and call the audible.

26. MD20

MD20 Rookie

My point is, that in 17 NFL starts, every "go" is a pass and every "go go" is a run. Tannehill is not "changing up the count or cadence. This is obviously a scheme thing, not a Tannehill thing. I litterally watch every game and laugh outloud as it has been seemingly 100% of the time.

Someone prove me wrong!

27. BigFish

BigFish Active Member

That's pretty interesting, I don't watch enough of the tape to have an opinion but unless someone can prove thats not the case I think you might be on to something.

28. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

I thought it was the terrible line play that killed the running game.

29. Dolfan23

Dolfan23 A True Fan

I'm watching the condensed version on Game Rewind and so far through the 1st quarter every single time Tannehill is under center and he says GO GO it's a run. Gonna watch the rest of the game to see how it goes.

30. Dolfan23

Dolfan23 A True Fan

Make that every time in the whole first half he says GO GO when under center and it's a run. Starting the 3rd quarter now...

31. John Biello

John Biello Perennial All-Pro

seriously? if it is his cadence that you believe is tipping off our play to the defense, what does that give them .3 seconds to react to this fact before the ball is actually snapped?

32. Dolfan23

Dolfan23 A True Fan

You can clearly see that when he's under center and he says GO GO that the defenders are not even trying to get upfield and rush the passer, they're just setting the edge and waiting. Then when he says GO while under center they rush him hard. I don't know how much times it's giving him but it's easy to see that when we go on a silent count we're having a lot more success. So far through 3 quarters every GO GO is a run and every GO is a pass. Very few of them are successful. Best plays have been throws from the gun or silent count under center.

33. Dolfan23

Dolfan23 A True Fan

Well I don't know if it makes a difference in our running game or not but the OP is right that every single time in this game under center that he said GO it was a pass and GO GO was a run. We had very limited running success out of the gun and only a little more under center with a silent count but that's about the only success we had running it.

34. whizafriz

whizafriz A True Fan

FORtY EiIIIIIIIIIIGhT
    GO GO!

35. DeathStar

DeathStar Hall Of Famer

Our RB and OL play sucked against the browns front...

If the run game isn't working on Sunday, go into pass happy mode...No need to waste precious downs getting 1/2 yards...

36. BigFish

BigFish Active Member

In my opinion this is pretty big news, credit Dolfan23 for confirming this and the OP for discovering it. It's not just a slight cadence, he's basically shouting truthfully "we're running" or "we're passing" before he hikes the ball. You can debate how big of an advantage that gives the defense and look at other ways to improve the running game but anyway you slice it, clearly telegraphing our plays like this is only hurting us, and the rushing results speak for themselves

37. Atila

Atila Atila - the freshmaker. Finheaven VIP

I really hope this is not true.

38. MD20

MD20 Rookie

Thank you Dolfan23 for confirming that I am not loosing my mind. I will now apologize to you; because I swear you will be forever laughing outloud every time you hear it. :)

39. Dolfan23

Dolfan23 A True Fan

Well I've noticed it before and thought it was odd but never really looked at it that hard. I watched the Colts game from last year tonight as well and saw the same sort of thing, although there were some instances where they mixed it up.

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

That's pretty much how it looked to me in the Cleveland game. When they knew it was a pass they ran hard towards Tannehill (and our line didn't do much to stop them) and when it was a run they penetrated up the middle and had their ends set the edge so we were basically running into a box each time. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it but it sure seemed like they had it figured out from the very beginning.

40. GoonBoss

GoonBoss Finheaven Templar Super Donator Donator

Come on. Are you telling me that coaches that have dedicated their lives to football....Who have
    sacrificed family, health, and their own life upon the alter of football are averse or ignorant to how
    a QBs cadence would tip off a run by permitting him to continue doing it?

How DARE you?!

41. WVDolphan

WVDolphan A True Fan

Really?

If this is true its disturbing. You simply have to mix it up better than that.

42. herndonsr

herndonsr Well-Known Member

are you kidding me

43. fiinfan4ever13

fiinfan4ever13 Active Member

I don't know if defenses have picked up on it, but I did notice it last year. Every time he said "go go" it was a run and "go" was a pass. I mentioned it to my friend to watch for it last season and he saw the same thing.

44. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

Of course defenses know about it, and I'm sure our coaches know they know. I've known about it since the last somebody made a thread on it almost a year ago.

The question is to what extent is it exploitable, if it is at all. Its not like they can just stop covering people when they hear the second "go", if they start doing that we can exploit them for much bigger gains on the next play...

45. dabeastdabone

dabeastdabone Seasoned Veteran

I applaud your effort but I can't imagine the Dolphins not realizing this if true. I mean think about it, we have players on the team from other teams we played last year, don't you think they would of said something if so?

46. GoonBoss

GoonBoss Finheaven Templar Super Donator Donator

I also heard Tannehill using "GO...GO!" last year.

47. Toto

Toto FinHeaven VIP

The second they recognize if it is a Go or a Go Go, it's too late to react anyway. The ball is allready snapped. So, I don't think it's a big deal if true.

48. Phindog

Phindog A True Fan

This also can work in our favor as the season progresses and we switch it up.

49. LandShark13

LandShark13 A True Fan

I got 5 words for you...."Go Go Play action Bomb!"

50. MRojas4

MRojas4 The Cheese Connoisseur Finheaven VIP

If anything this would lead to all single GO plays gaining advantages as players will freeze in hopes of hearing the second GO-GO, or players will hear the first GO take half a step forward/backward and on the second GO-GO....out of position.