Tannehill's cadence is tipping off the running game | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill's cadence is tipping off the running game

seriously? if it is his cadence that you believe is tipping off our play to the defense, what does that give them .3 seconds to react to this fact before the ball is actually snapped?

You can clearly see that when he's under center and he says GO GO that the defenders are not even trying to get upfield and rush the passer, they're just setting the edge and waiting. Then when he says GO while under center they rush him hard. I don't know how much times it's giving him but it's easy to see that when we go on a silent count we're having a lot more success. So far through 3 quarters every GO GO is a run and every GO is a pass. Very few of them are successful. Best plays have been throws from the gun or silent count under center.

Well I don't know if it makes a difference in our running game or not but the OP is right that every single time in this game under center that he said GO it was a pass and GO GO was a run. We had very limited running success out of the gun and only a little more under center with a silent count but that's about the only success we had running it.

Our RB and OL play sucked against the browns front...

If the run game isn't working on Sunday, go into pass happy mode...No need to waste precious downs getting 1/2 yards...

In my opinion this is pretty big news, credit Dolfan23 for confirming this and the OP for discovering it. It's not just a slight cadence, he's basically shouting truthfully "we're running" or "we're passing" before he hikes the ball. You can debate how big of an advantage that gives the defense and look at other ways to improve the running game but anyway you slice it, clearly telegraphing our plays like this is only hurting us, and the rushing results speak for themselves

Well I don't know if it makes a difference in our running game or not but the OP is right that every single time in this game under center that he said GO it was a pass and GO GO was a run. We had very limited running success out of the gun and only a little more under center with a silent count but that's about the only success we had running it.

Thank you Dolfan23 for confirming that I am not loosing my mind. I will now apologize to you; because I swear you will be forever laughing outloud every time you hear it. :)

Thank you Dolfan23 for confirming that I am not loosing my mind. I will now apologize to you; because I swear you will be forever laughing outloud every time you hear it. :)

Well I've noticed it before and thought it was odd but never really looked at it that hard. I watched the Colts game from last year tonight as well and saw the same sort of thing, although there were some instances where they mixed it up.

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

In my opinion this is pretty big news, credit Dolfan23 for confirming this and the OP for discovering it. It's not just a slight cadence, he's basically shouting truthfully "we're running" or "we're passing" before he hikes the ball. You can debate how big of an advantage that gives the defense and look at other ways to improve the running game but anyway you slice it, clearly telegraphing our plays like this is only hurting us, and the rushing results speak for themselves

That's pretty much how it looked to me in the Cleveland game. When they knew it was a pass they ran hard towards Tannehill (and our line didn't do much to stop them) and when it was a run they penetrated up the middle and had their ends set the edge so we were basically running into a box each time. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it but it sure seemed like they had it figured out from the very beginning.

I suspect our staff might have picked up on this if that was the issue

Come on. Are you telling me that coaches that have dedicated their lives to football....Who have
sacrificed family, health, and their own life upon the alter of football are averse or ignorant to how
a QBs cadence would tip off a run by permitting him to continue doing it?

How DARE you?!

You can clearly see that when he's under center and he says GO GO that the defenders are not even trying to get upfield and rush the passer, they're just setting the edge and waiting. Then when he says GO while under center they rush him hard. I don't know how much times it's giving him but it's easy to see that when we go on a silent count we're having a lot more success. So far through 3 quarters every GO GO is a run and every GO is a pass. Very few of them are successful. Best plays have been throws from the gun or silent count under center.

Really?

If this is true its disturbing. You simply have to mix it up better than that.

I don't know if defenses have picked up on it, but I did notice it last year. Every time he said "go go" it was a run and "go" was a pass. I mentioned it to my friend to watch for it last season and he saw the same thing.

Of course defenses know about it, and I'm sure our coaches know they know. I've known about it since the last somebody made a thread on it almost a year ago.

The question is to what extent is it exploitable, if it is at all. Its not like they can just stop covering people when they hear the second "go", if they start doing that we can exploit them for much bigger gains on the next play...

I applaud your effort but I can't imagine the Dolphins not realizing this if true. I mean think about it, we have players on the team from other teams we played last year, don't you think they would of said something if so?

Back
Top Bottom