Tannehill's college gametape tells me were not using him correctly | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill's college gametape tells me were not using him correctly

phinatic1399

Diehard Phinatic!
Reaction score
So last night I was watching some college gametape of Tannehill on youtube. After watching over an hour of film I came away thinking that this kid is extremely athletic and has a tremendous sealing just like all the scouts and experts like mayock and dilfer say he does. But what I also noticed is that most of his success came from outside the pocket and he benefits from his ability to use his legs. I also noticed how gifted of a runner he is and how successful he was running that zone read spread offense. He took it to the house several times off that zone read fake handoff and some of the runs were 30-40 yards long. Look at the game against oklahoma state when he takes it 65 yards off that zone read. That is how he should be used, out on the edge, playaction, bootlegs, zone reads, use his athleticism. We actually have been running some zone reads the last few weeks and they have been some what successful, tanny actually scored a TD against the patriots off a zone read. We should be doing what the 49ers and skins are doing with kapernick and rg3. No, not to the full extent like they do it but we should be playing to the kids strengths and using his mobility and legs. The kid ran 4.5/40 he can definitely scoot. Wilson is used like this too. They get him out on the edge alot.

But my point is were trying to force him to become a pro-style QB and he is not ready for that yet. He is not ready to be under center and take 3-5 step drops and get rid of the ball. That is not his strength yet plus he doesnt have the weapons to help him yet. Sherman keeps calling plays that dont fit his strengths. I'm so sick of seeing tanny under center and dropping back with no playaction or bootlegs. Sherman rarely calls plays to get him out on the edge where he is dangerous. I eventually do believe he will be able to adapt to a more pro-style dropback scheme but he will never be a tom brady or manning, he is more in the mold of an aaron rodgers. I just feel like were not using him right. I dont undersatnd why his athleticism is not used in the redzone more as well. 1st and goal im calling a playaction bootleg and getting tanny out on the edge and giving him the pass/run option, instead sherman calls a run on first and second down and then the defense knows whats coming on third down. But I just think were not using the kid right. Love his high sealing though. And remember. Tannehill was NOT drafted on what he can do right now. He was drafted on potential and a high sealing, he is not as polished as luck, rg3, and wilson. He is still raw be patient.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree completely! It makes me wonder why we don't see him on bootlegs or roll out screens. My guess is that our O line is not athletic enough to block for him if he moves around, hell they can barely hold back a flood while he's standing still.

I agree completely! It makes me wonder why we don't see him on bootlegs or roll out screens. My guess is that our O line is not athletic enough to block for him if he moves around, hell they can barely hold back a flood while he's standing still.

makes no sense bro

See. RG3 most recent out of the game hit. I don't want my Qb using his legs as much as his arms! I'd rather they get him some weapons to avoid him running around.

See. RG3 most recent out of the game hit. I don't want my Qb using his legs as much as his arms! I'd rather they get him some weapons to avoid him running around.

I didnt say he has to be used to that extent but we need to take advantage of his mobility and get him out on the edge more. He is not a pro-style QB just yet.

This is the NFL. That means that defensive players are very fast. Very fast defensive players destroy quarterbacks that run willy nilly all over the place. Think about the number of times that Michael Vick has gotten hurt. RG3 has gotten banged up a lot more than Andrew Luck. Tannehill was running away from players that will not be playing football again in their lives after college. Everything that players do in college cannot be replicated in the pros.

This is the NFL. That means that defensive players are very fast. Very fast defensive players destroy quarterbacks that run willy nilly all over the place. Think about the number of times that Michael Vick has gotten hurt. RG3 has gotten banged up a lot more than Andrew Luck. Tannehill was running away from players that will not be playing football again in their lives after college. Everything that players do in college cannot be replicated in the pros.

He needs to be used like Aaron Rodgers witht the playaction bootleg thats all Iam saying and were not even doing that. And will it kill him to once in a while sprinkle in a zone read play?

So last night I was watching some college gametape of Tannehill on youtube. After watching over an hour of film I came away thinking that this kid is extremely athletic and has a tremendous sealing just like all the scouts and experts like mayock and dilfer say he does. But what I also noticed is that most of his success came from outside the pocket and he benefits from his ability to use his legs. I also noticed how gifted of a runner he is and how successful he was running that zone read spread offense. He took it to the house several times off that zone read fake handoff and some of the runs were 30-40 yards long. Look at the game against oklahoma state when he takes it 65 yards off that zone read. That is how he should be used, out on the edge, playaction, bootlegs, zone reads, use his athleticism. We actually have been running some zone reads the last few weeks and they have been some what successful, tanny actually scored a TD against the patriots off a zone read. We should be doing what the 49ers and skins are doing with kapernick and rg3. No, not to the full extent like they do it but we should be playing to the kids strengths and using his mobility and legs. The kid ran 4.5/40 he can definitely scoot. Wilson is used like this too. They get him out on the edge alot.

But my point is were trying to force him to become a pro-style QB and he is not ready for that yet. He is not ready to be under center and take 3-5 step drops and get rid of the ball. That is not his strength yet plus he doesnt have the weapons to help him yet. Sherman keeps calling plays that dont fit his strengths. I'm so sick of seeing tanny under center and dropping back with no playaction or bootlegs. Sherman rarely calls plays to get him out on the edge where he is dangerous. I eventually do believe he will be able to adapt to a more pro-style dropback scheme but he will never be a tom brady or manning, he is more in the mold of an aaron rodgers. I just feel like were not using him right. I dont undersatnd why his athleticism is not used in the redzone more as well. 1st and goal im calling a playaction bootleg and getting tanny out on the edge and giving him the pass/run option, instead sherman calls a run on first and second down and then the defense knows whats coming on third down. But I just think were not using the kid right. Love his high sealing though. And remember. Tannehill was NOT drafted on what he can do right now. He was drafted on potential and a high sealing, he is not as polished as luck, rg3, and wilson. He is still raw be patient.

I'm thinking that maybe they used this season to work on the things that Tannehill needs to develop (like throwing from the pocket & decision making from the pocket). Philbin & his staff probably saw this year as nothing more than a developmental year for Tannehill. I mean, it makes sense to use this season do make Tannehill a more complete QB, since we don't have enough talent to make signifigant noise in the playoffs. Tannehill is already a gifted athlete & has probably been running zone reads & rollouts for most of his QB life, so maybe the coaching staff figured that this year can be used to just get a head start on developing the things he hasn't had much experience with.

I know, it's exteme optimism, but hey if this was the logic for them using him the way they are- then I could get behind it.

Maybe we should employ one of his college coaches to help with the play calling...oh wait !

He needs to be used like Aaron Rodgers witht the playaction bootleg thats all Iam saying and were not even doing that. And will it kill him to once in a while sprinkle in a zone read play?

I agree about him being used like Aaron Rodgers. But come on man part of the reason those PA work so well for Aaron Rodger and GB is because they have legitimate threats.

The glaring difference is that Rogers can thread a needle with his passes. So far Tannehill's accuracy is back and forth. Not saying I don't agree but the success of running the same type of plays would be different due to skill set.

After almost every game I watch I am left wondering why we do not effectively use screens and the bootleg to maximize RT's abilities.Especially in the Redzone, a playaction (stretch play) bootleg where RT has a run/pass option would be an effective play that is severely under utilized in this offense.

Yeah, it's hard to imagine that Sherman, his HC in College (for 4 years) and OC now, would know any more of how to use him that a Phins poster.

Sorry but C'MON MAN, no way in hell can you be taken seriously.

After almost every game I watch I am left wondering why we do not effectively use screens and the bootleg to maximize RT's abilities.Especially in the Redzone, a playaction (stretch play) bootleg where RT has a run/pass option would be an effective play that is severely under utilized in this offense.

Have you considered looking at the athleticism of the OL? Just a thought, past Pouncey.

i would agree with a lot of that...off my tape study last year predraft his ability to throw on the move with paste and accuracy really stood out...and he could do it rolling both to his strong and weakside...something many qbs cannot do...throw while rolling to their weak side with touch and accuracy...

he threw in the pocket 18 yard comeback routes with ease which tells you his arm is plenty good enough and he's got the arm to make any throw...

what stood out to me on college tape was his over the top vertical accuracy was not all that there although i attributed a lot of that to having slow scrubs to work with on the outside like jarrett and his pocket play and decision making from the pocket was a little suspect...

i'm happy to report though that all those things thru week 13 have not been an issue...if anything he needs to climb the pocket against wide rush pressure and become a little more accurate on some of his throws down the field...both of which i believe will get better in the next few years...

his decision making and the quality of it has by far been his best attribute...the kid does not throw the ball into coverage...he'll keep you in games and in time he'll be winning most of them too...just need some patience people

Back
Top Bottom