Tavon Austin

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by spiketex, Feb 22, 2013.

1. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

I didn't see any West Virginia Mountaineer games but I'm really curious to learn more about Tavon Austin. How can a player so tiny - 5'8" and 174 lbs, be in contention for a 1st round draft grade? How did the big defensive players not physically hurt him? Is he too small for the NFL?
    statistically he should be too small but every now and then a freak comes along who is blessed with incredible speed and talent to defy the experts rules. Welcome your comments...

2. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

I think Evan Silva's article Tavon Austin, Satellite Player may describe this best.
    http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/42574/321/tavon-austin-satellite-player

3. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 A True Fan

Desean Jackson of the Eagles is 5'9 175 pounds, almost the same size as Austin. Austin is small, but he is special when he gets his hands on the ball.

4. NUGap

NUGap Well-Known Member

We hear a lot about Tavon Austin's big play ability, while he had some deep catches, here's how a good amount of his big plays came:

This is a TD against Maryland, that represents a pretty average catch for Tavon. He gets matched up on a slower linebacker on a 1-5 yard route, usually a crossing route. Catches it, makes some LBs miss and then takes it upfield. The majority of Austin's YAC came on these shorter passes:

[video=youtube_share;BtTqmWphlwg]http://youtu.be/BtTqmWphlwg[/video]

Click to 3:29 in the video which is a 4th and 4 on the 40

[video=youtube_share;-4-UnlJzLoc]http://youtu.be/-4-UnlJzLoc?t=3m29s[/video]

My main concern is that these shorter routes taht are consistently open for Tavon, where he can generate tons of yards after the catch, won't be available in the NFL. I worry that faster linebackers and safeties will either shut these routes down or close running lanes up the sideline where he gains a lot of yards, leaving him with below-average to average YAC when catching it in other areas of the field. The numbers show he has good hands, but I don't know if that's enough to get him through in the NFL.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2013
  5. WVUBOB

WVUBOB Banned Hammered Donator

Link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AAWC5t0trY

6. xXwarXx

xXwarXx Banned Hammered

Sorry, I don't trust drafting any player who is a 175 lbs high in the draft. I've seen this story over and over, draft after draft, fast quick undersized players, with awesome highlights, come into the NFL, and do nothing but remind me why not to draft them.

7. DzakkH13

DzakkH13 Winning is a Habit Donator

Tavon Austin is an intriguing pick because you can line him up all over the field and create the mismatches.

You catch a team off guard and if a line backer is lined up against Austin, you know you've won the play before the snap.

He's got special speed an play making abilities. I imagine some team will take a flyer on him and use him similar to Sproles.

8. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

You sound like a graduate of the Parcells school of drafting. And you may be right again, but Austin looks like he's very slippery and kind of special. Relax, Jeff Ireland is one of Parcells honors graduates and would probably not consider Austin because of his size.

9. next-year

next-year MostHated

No doubt in my mind he's going to be a PROBLEM in the NFL for Teams to figure out how to stop.