TE Michael Egnew is reportedly drawing "skepticism" around the league. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

TE Michael Egnew is reportedly drawing "skepticism" around the league.

Tiko377

Active Roster
Reaction score
The Dolphins' third-round pick of TE Michael Egnew is reportedly drawing "skepticism" around the league.

"If you can find me a recent Missouri tight end that’s done well in the pros, let me know," one NFC scout said. "They’re too one-dimensional." Chase Coffman and Martin Rucker were recent Missouri tight ends drafted in the early to middle rounds who flamed out quickly. Egnew has a bit better speed than both, but he will struggle to get on the field if he can't block on the line.

Source: Miami Herald
May 3 - 12:47 PM

****** is a slightly undersized tight end that will best fit schemes that use an H-back as well as the traditional tight end. He is athletic and shows good downfield speed when running vertical routes and does a good job of adjusting to balls when thrown slightly off target. He has natural hand-eye coordination and consistently reaches out to pluck the ball. He can struggle when physical linebackers line up over him to hinder his release and is more effective when lined up off the line of scrimmage. He is not a very strong or physical blocker in line and takes questionable angles when blocking at the second level.

Strengths

****** has impressive speed and athleticism for the tight end position. Was extremely productive in college, earning first team all-conference recognition. Has very natural ball skills, catches away from his body, can bring in off-target throws and can go up for the jump ball. Great route running ability. Is fluid and creates separation. Productive after the catch.

Weaknesses

****** lacks the prototypical size we look for in tight ends at the next level. We question his natural strength. Blocking is a major area of concern and may limit him to the H-back role. Isn’t strong at the point of attack and won’t consistently move defenders.

Sound familiar? This is a draft profile for Aaron Hernandez, who seems to have done fairly well in the pros even though he's not strong at the point of attack and can't block worth a damn.

I saw that quote, it is what it is, we can only hope Egnew bucks the trend and actually contributes more than the other TE from Missouri. He has talent, there is no question about that. His role in Miami will eventually define him. I truly hope Egnew becomes a contributing part of the offense.

HatersGonnaHatethisbatman-1.jpg

6'6 250 lb TE running a 4.6/40, good luck covering him, Egnew is gonna be a matchup nightmare, if we need to block we will use fasano or yeatmen or bring in an extra OL

The Dolphins' third-round pick of TE Michael Egnew is reportedly drawing "skepticism" around the league.

"If you can find me a recent Missouri tight end that’s done well in the pros, let me know," one NFC scout said. "They’re too one-dimensional." Chase Coffman and Martin Rucker were recent Missouri tight ends drafted in the early to middle rounds who flamed out quickly. Egnew has a bit better speed than both, but he will struggle to get on the field if he can't block on the line.

Scouts are being paid for judging players on the previous success of players that attended the same school? If I was running a football team and my scout would say something like that he would be studying job offers the next day. Why would you need scouts if you could just have a look at a database, filter by school and position and you'll know if that player will be successful or not.

Well, while Vontae's big brother Vernon is most definitely the bomb, realistically, how well have other TEs from Maryland fared preceding or following him? Dan Gronkowski? Joey Haynos? Jeff Dugan? Jason Goode? Matt Murphy? All it takes is one. :idk:

Also, not exactly apples to apples considering he was a high draft pick but really, how many WRs besides Jerry Rice have made it in the pros from Mississippi Valley State Univ?

...yea because every player from the same school ends up having the same success. smh

They get paid for that ****................

**** the critics.

Last edited by a moderator:
who the **** says we're going to pay him to block? duh duh duh te's gotta block first catch second bull**** from the pre 00's doesn't ****ing fly in the today's NFL. how well or often does hernandez block anyway?

I get what he's saying, some of the stats from missouri guys are inflated. I heard CK mention the same thing on his interview with the finsiders. He thinks he's a better prospect then the last 2 that came out, but understood the comparison.

According to my draft magazine Egnew faced double teams all season, and missed Gabbert quite a bit in addition. 3rd ranked TE in this draft

Egnew will be fine, and will get on the field this year!:brewskis:

Back
Top Bottom