Ten FA's That Fit The Dolphins Future | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ten FA's That Fit The Dolphins Future

miami should make a run at either deangelo williams or ahmad bradshaw and swing tackle/guard makes sense imo like yanda provided the moneys right...i'd love to get a te like zach miller but i don't think oakland lets him get away and i'm not sure frankly this front office puts enough emphasis on the position to spend the dang money there...could we take a flier at a owen daniels back from injury??? i wouldn't mind it if the moneys right

travis laboy would be nice but isn't he coming off a double digit sack season in tennessee or do i have him mixed up with someone else...a situational pass rusher would be money for 3rd down

How did Tiki Barber not make your updated list of coveted free agents, Elliott?

We don't have a snowflakes chance in hell to get Hali.

Stanton? Moore? Ugh.

Zach Miller would be nice. So would Yanda, although I'm not against D. Williams either.

For me its going after Carl Nicks, Davin Joseph if the ankle checks out, or maybe someone like Daryn College. Get us a very goood pulling LG keep Pouncey at C. Hopefully Jerry gets his strength back and learn from his rookie year and can stay at the RG job for awhile. Long-Nicks or Joseph-Pouncey-Jerry-Carey does look nice to me. The get another olb, Mathias wouldn't be a bad option but I'd only want him in on 3rd downs and we'd have to pay too much for him. But another option would be nice. We need a 3rd push rusher incase on goes down. I do think Misi has a even better year, 8-10 sacks. Remember we would put him against the LT on passing downs which is a tall task for a rook. Eric Weddle might look nice in a fins jersy but probably overpriced but some safety improvement would be a bad thing which I think puts us over the top as a defense. Even a guy like Roman Harper would be a nice upgrade at SS over Bell. other than that improve depth. QBs this year I have no clue which one I want.

if you really think about it payin yanda doesn't make sense for us NOW unless you are pegging him as a starting guard for this year and the likely replacement for vernon carey after this season...or even this year if you were to part with carey this camp (which i wouldn't rule out)

yanda won't be cheap...might be wiser to spend the money elsewhere

eric weddle hell no...he thinks he's much better than he is

if you really think about it payin yanda doesn't make sense for us NOW unless you are pegging him as a starting guard for this year and the likely replacement for vernon carey after this season...or even this year if you were to part with carey this camp (which i wouldn't rule out)

yanda won't be cheap...might be wiser to spend the money elsewhere

eric weddle hell no...he thinks he's much better than he is

Agreed, just think a better safety or 2 wouldn't hurt this defense. Some guys who create turnovers. May cost some but if they make us a top 3 defense I say go for it. Yanda to me wants the same money as Joseph or Nicks in which case I'll Nicks

Again, I've said Manny Lawson is a viable alternative -- but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

What are you guys expecting out of Lawson? People that rag on Misi think Lawson is a better fit for us.

2010 = 59 Tackles, 2.5 Sacks, 2 Forced Fumbles (16 Starts)
2009 = 68 Tackles, 6.5 Sacks, 3 Forced Fumbles (16 Starts)

Agreed, just think a better safety or 2 wouldn't hurt this defense. Some guys who create turnovers. May cost some but if they make us a top 3 defense I say go for it. Yanda to me wants the same money as Joseph or Nicks in which case I'll Nicks

if yanda wants nick money pass...end of story...same for joseph

we could use help at safety no doubt but weddles nothing special...not to me at least...we need help other places though which i think should take precedence

Again, I've said Manny Lawson is a viable alternative -- but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

What are you guys expecting out of Lawson? People that rag on Misi think Lawson is a better fit for us.

2010 = 59 Tackles, 2.5 Sacks, 2 Forced Fumbles (16 Starts)
2009 = 68 Tackles, 6.5 Sacks, 3 Forced Fumbles (16 Starts)

it makes no sense for us to pay manny lawson to be an every down olb which is what we'd have to do to land him...when we have a 2 down lb at least in koa misi we drafted just a year ago

get a situational rusher we don't need an every down guy looking for a $30 plus mil pay day...

it makes no sense for us to pay manny lawson to be an every down olb which is what we'd have to do to land him...when we have a 2 down lb at least in koa misi we drafted just a year ago

get a situational rusher we don't need an every down guy looking for a $30 plus mil pay day...

That's the thing, the guy was a starter and his production probably didn't even match that of Misi. And Misi was a rookie.

It's one of those "grass is always greener" scenarios.

If I'm targeting Marshall Yanda it's because I'm cutting or trading Vernon Carey, and not next year, this year. Peel the band-aid off quickly, don't drag it out. Yanda's an excellent right tackle. He played at the level Vernon Carey should have. The best managed teams seem to let guys go a year before they're a problem.

I like Antwan Barnes as a pass rushing role player for the defense. Similar to Cameron Wake, he can get around the edge and ensure that we always put the pressure on when we go into our nickel packages and obvious pass situations. Stamina could be a problem so you wouldn't be looking at him becoming a full time player. He's more explosive than Manny Lawson, but not as versatile (run defense, pass coverage).

I haven't really taken a close look at Mathias Kiwanuka lately so I can't comment there. I suppose it's possible they really like him. They did show interest in Travis Laboy. Between he and Barnes I'd prefer Barnes, as I think Antwan is a little more of a drink-stirrer as a pass rusher. He's got enough of an edge that he can actually make you think about having to target him.

Cameron Wake is a left side pass rusher on obvious pass rush downs, and he can be neutralized for stretches by blocking schemes. You need to make sure the guy on the right side can consistentlyy beat NFL left tackles in isolation to apply pressure anyway. I'm not sure Koa Misi can do that yet. One way I would combat the increased attention in game planning that I think Cameron Wake will face would be to try and get him used to the idea of pass rushing from the right side against the left tackles. That could throw a wrench in teams' plans and thought processes as they try and peg him down. But one other option that would be nice to have is to throw Barnes in there on the right side and let Wake continue rushing the left.

At quarterback it's just sort of a tragedy, really. They've already screwed themselves so there's not much to do. Overtures toward Matt Hasselbeck and Carson Palmer are not likely to bear fruit, as neither wants to be here. I'm not paying a 2nd rounder for Kyle Orton. I'm not touching Kevin Kolb. I don't really have much interest in Matt Flynn. The Redskins seem now like they want to trade McNabb and I'm not giving up anything for him.

You'd find it hard to sell me on Vince Young being a changed person and I'm not too interested in the teammate he was at Tennessee. If we got him, I do know that he can play football, but every single day would be bated breath waiting for him to do something stupid, or for reports that his teammates hate him or that coaches are refusing to elevate him above Henne until he shows he "gets it", etc. I see very little chance that a guy that has been criticized repeatedly by teammates and coaches for work ethic will end up on this team with this administration anyway.

I think you could do worse than trying to see if a young guy slipped through the cracks and is better than people thought. Three that come to mind are Caleb Hanie, Tarvaris Jackson and the guy already mentioned, Drew Stanton.

It's a complicated and depressing situation and I find I can't really endorse one idea unless I know a lot more about price tags and interest levels, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom