Thanks/No Thanks

Discussion in 'Questions and Suggestions Forum' started by beanh8er, May 14, 2014.

1. beanh8er

beanh8er A True Fan Donator

I think there needs to be some clarification on what the Thanks and No Thanks buttons are for, especially the No Thanks button. A lot of people use it when they disagree with something that a poster posted, but on every site I've been on that utilizes a No Thanks feature, or something similar, that feature is reserved for comments that don't contribute to the discussion. The current state of No Thanks punishes a contrarian opinion even if that contrarian opinion is well thought out and educated.

2. Gonzo

Gonzo Widerstand Administrator Finheaven VIP

Just a "fun" feature that people take waaaaay to seriously. It has no bearing on the forum or life. Everybody can turn the feature off if they choose in their general settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Sons Of Shula

Sons Of Shula not a dull boy Finheaven VIP Donator

4. beanh8er

I don't take it seriously, but posting something that you put a lot of work into just to have it bombarded with No Thanks has to be discouraging. I think the fact that there's no way of tracking overall numbers is a good thing, but still I think it stifles discussion. A stickied thread or when you hover over the No Thanks button detailing why it should be used would help. I'm not sure if this is an issue on this forum compared to one like reddit, but I don't get paid 4 million a year to evaluate message board posting trends.

5. beanh8er

Right now if someone were to say something bad about Ryan Tannehill that post would get No Thanked by the masses even if it was a perfectly valid opinion based on research. I just don't think that that should be standard operating procedure on a message board. No Thanks inherently stifles discussion.

Edit: Just saw you No Thank my first post. You bastard.

6. Sons Of Shula

Sons Of Shula not a dull boy Finheaven VIP Donator

Like this gem?

7. beanh8er

See my edit hombre. But yeah I would have no problem with that post being No Thanked. I understood exactly what I was doing when I made that post. I still stand by everything that I said, but No Thanks are completely in order for that post.

8. Gonzo

Gonzo Widerstand Administrator Finheaven VIP

I wouldn't worry about it. My favorite is always the ones who give the No Thanks but don't offer any reason as to why. Just means you struck a nerve and they have nothing to counter it. Many just use it as a way to say "I don't like what you are saying" rather than "I don't like how you're saying it." I try to use it to say "thanks" for the good post, regardless of whether I agree, or "no thanks" for being a **** and contributing nothing to the conversation. Even then, I tend to give sarcastic "thanks" more, usually when I've clearly touched a nerve and they go off the handle. :lol:

9. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 I can get you a toe Finheaven VIP Donator

You've received 920 thanks and also 43 No Thanks received. That's a good ratio. Anyone has access to these numbers though.

10. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Just noticed it and don't know whether it's a temporary system glitch, but the option to thanks/no thanks me is presently MIA. Did I inadvertently disabled something or what?
    FWIW, tried to thank roymiami for a post upon seeing there was no option to do so (he might have disabled it himself, dunno), then checked on mine. :idk:

11. tylerdolphin

tylerdolphin More Smug than Birthday Dog Moderator Finheaven VIP

:lol:

Good old dbl

12. tylerdolphin

tylerdolphin More Smug than Birthday Dog Moderator Finheaven VIP

Working for me, Vaark. Sometimes you have to refresh the page to thank newer posts