The 2007 Mets Thread | Page 25 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The 2007 Mets Thread

I was pissed about losing Darren Oliver before, but now I'm really disappointed. I know we were never going to keep the guy, with him wanting to start. But I think he was more important last year than a lot of people gave him credit for.

I was pissed about losing Darren Oliver before, but now I'm really disappointed. I know we were never going to keep the guy, with him wanting to start. But I think he was more important last year than a lot of people gave him credit for.
I agree. We have to start trusting Sele in that role or hes just taking a roster spot from someone who could be useful.

I agree. We have to start trusting Sele in that role or hes just taking a roster spot from someone who could be useful.
Is Sele being used as the set-up man? I would much rather see him in middle relief. If he is being used as a middle man, which he wasn't today, then I cannot fathon my Burgos is getting the first shot, especially when Sele hadn't pitched in 4 days.

Is Sele being used as the set-up man? I would much rather see him in middle relief. If he is being used as a middle man, which he wasn't today, then I cannot fathon my Burgos is getting the first shot, especially when Sele hadn't pitched in 4 days.

I think they gave him a shot because Heilman's been working quite a bit lately, the rest of the pen had already been used, and they didn't want to send Wagner out there trailing by 3. Otherwise, Sele's strictly a long reliever/emergency starter.

Ambriox Burgos needs to get his tail to the minors. Schoenweis was terrible as well.

Its amazing, all the analysts are concerned about our starters, yet our starter era is #1 in the NL entering today. Im more worried about our pen because the only dependable guys are Heilman, Wagner, and Feliciano. And I use the term dependable loosely with heilman because he usually heats up after the AS break.

Is Sanchez coming back anytime soon? Freaking taxis. :fire:

I think they gave him a shot because Heilman's been working quite a bit lately, the rest of the pen had already been used, and they didn't want to send Wagner out there trailing by 3. Otherwise, Sele's strictly a long reliever/emergency starter.
Well, then brining in Burgos yesterday officially pisses me off. Sele hadn't pitched in four days. I don't understand that decision. I guess Willie felt the lead was big enough to test Burgos, but 3 runs isn't squat against the Braves.

Who is this Perez guy that I've watched dominate my Braves twice already this year? They said he was pretty bad against Philly recently. Which one of these guys do you Mets fans think is the real Oliver Perez?

Who is this Perez guy that I've watched dominate my Braves twice already this year? They said he was pretty bad against Philly recently. Which one of these guys do you Mets fans think is the real Oliver Perez?
You're seeing the 2004 Oliver Perez. After that season, Pittsburgh coaches tried to change his release, I believe to prevent injury. He completely lost his control. Rick Peterson put him back to his old mechanics, and it's really paying off.
Remember Game 7 of the NLCS? We were supposed to lose because of our starter in that game. It was Perez, and he pitched a gem... We did lose, but it was the bullpen and dead bats.

The Philly outing was odd. He retired the first four batters, then had some walks. He only pitched 2 2/3 innings because he was walking them in bunches, but he only gave up one hit. I think that game is going to be an aberration. I don't expect him to continue to perform like he has against the Braves, but he does have that much potential.

You're seeing the 2004 Oliver Perez. After that season, Pittsburgh coaches tried to change his release, I believe to prevent injury. He completely lost his control. Rick Peterson put him back to his old mechanics, and it's really paying off.
Remember Game 7 of the NLCS? We were supposed to lose because of our starter in that game. It was Perez, and he pitched a gem... We did lose, but it was the bullpen and dead bats.

The Philly outing was odd. He retired the first four batters, then had some walks. He only pitched 2 2/3 innings because he was walking them in bunches, but he only gave up one hit. I think that game is going to be an aberration. I don't expect him to continue to perform like he has against the Braves, but he does have that much potential.

Thanks for the info. He couldn't miss the strike zone the other day against Atlanta. Another performance like that against the Braves and we might see him matched up against Hudson or Smoltz in the future. Who knows.

I think Mets/Braves is the best rivalry going right now in MLB. Naturally though the hype is still going to Red Sox/Yankees. ARod's ridiculous numbers probably have a little to do with it as well. I hope Atlanta doesn't wet the bed later in the season or anything, we could be in for some great baseball when September comes along.

Thanks for the info. He couldn't miss the strike zone the other day against Atlanta. Another performance like that against the Braves and we might see him matched up against Hudson or Smoltz in the future. Who knows.

I think Mets/Braves is the best rivalry going right now in MLB. Naturally though the hype is still going to Red Sox/Yankees. ARod's ridiculous numbers probably have a little to do with it as well. I hope Atlanta doesn't wet the bed later in the season or anything, we could be in for some great baseball when September comes along.
It should definitely be mention with NY/Boston. There's just so much star power on those teams and history that it'll be #1 forever.
No doubt about the NL East race. It should be great this year. You guys have done a lot to fix that pen, and that's what was killing you last year. Meanwhile, your lineup hasn't let up one bit.

yeah muscles, i never count the braves out of anything until the final standings say so... too many nightmares over the years. so it should, but hopefully wont be a good race for the nl east crown... i also hope atlanta wets the bed, the sooner, the better.

Maine for Cy Young :wink: I'm only half kidding. He's been fantastic. If Ollie can keep those walks down, we're going to be in prime position when Pedro returns. I believe the Braves announcers were talking about how well Pedro's rehab has been going. :crossingfingers:
Nice to see Delgado get that HR. Hopefully, he's coming around.
Alou has been an absolute boon. I still can't get comfortable though. I'm just waiting for him to miss 50 games.
Wright's still struggling, but at least he almost had a shot to right field today. That may seem small, but ever since the All-Star break last year he's been pulling the ball far too much. Wright's ability to go oppo so well is what always got me so excited about his batting prowess. He reminded me so much of Piazza with that opposite field power hitting. It's rare, and it's what has made David such a great hitter.

I'm not even sure if Duaner is coming back this year. I believe earliest wouldn't be until after the break.
Thats correct. Its going to be a while. Our pen definitely concerns me more then our sp's. With pedro on the mend looking at a July/August return, we need to look at upgrading our pen significantly. I know Mota is due back in about 30 games but the Sp is so far ahead of where anyone thought it would be. The pen is in just the opposite shape.

They changed his release point because (LOL) he wasnt pitching deep enough in to games. So they tried to turn him in to Tom Glavine. And the thing is Ollie had so many pitching coaches toy with his release and pitching philosophy in SD and Pitt it was a lot like a QB who's constantly changing offenses, his head was all messed up and his mechanics were even worse. The Jacket is doing a real nice job with him so far though.

Back
Top Bottom