The 2007 Mets Thread | Page 26 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The 2007 Mets Thread

Maine for Cy Young :wink: I'm only half kidding. He's been fantastic. If Ollie can keep those walks down, we're going to be in prime position when Pedro returns. I believe the Braves announcers were talking about how well Pedro's rehab has been going. :crossingfingers:
Nice to see Delgado get that HR. Hopefully, he's coming around.
Alou has been an absolute boon. I still can't get comfortable though. I'm just waiting for him to miss 50 games.
Wright's still struggling, but at least he almost had a shot to right field today. That may seem small, but ever since the All-Star break last year he's been pulling the ball far too much. Wright's ability to go oppo so well is what always got me so excited about his batting prowess. He reminded me so much of Piazza with that opposite field power hitting. It's rare, and it's what has made David such a great hitter.
Also regarding John Maine and some peoples stance he may be nothing more then a #4 or 5:

This is a pretty good indicator of how hittable a guy's pitch is.
Opponent's "batting plus sugging" average vs. fastballs-- NL 2006

1. Clemens, R .518
2. Maine, J .529
3. Martinez, P .543
4. Cruz, J .558
5. Zambrano, C .565
6. Cain, M .601
7. Young, C .612
8. Webb, B .619
9. Sanchez, A .621
10. Lowe. D .622

No wonder Maine throws his fastball so much. Pretty good company there.

And Pedro's post-injury problems must have come from trouble with his off-speed

They changed his release point because (LOL) he wasnt pitching deep enough in to games. So they tried to turn him in to Tom Glavine. And the thing is Ollie had so many pitching coaches toy with his release and pitching philosophy in SD and Pitt it was a lot like a QB who's constantly changing offenses, his head was all messed up and his mechanics were even worse. The Jacket is doing a real nice job with him so far though.
I was hoping you'd chime in. I knew you'd have more to add. Thanks :up:

I was hoping you'd chime in. I knew you'd have more to add. Thanks :up:
Im trying to find more...i had live video of this in one of these threads about Perez's release point.

Opponent's "batting plus sugging" average vs. fastballs-- NL 2006

1. Clemens, R .518
2. Maine, J .529
3. Martinez, P .543
4. Cruz, J .558
5. Zambrano, C .565
6. Cain, M .601
7. Young, C .612
8. Webb, B .619
9. Sanchez, A .621
10. Lowe. D .622

And Pedro's post-injury problems must have come from trouble with his off-speed

god dammit, i really miss 2006 pedro pre allstar break... i know his return is a long ways off, and who knows how he will respond to the injury, and the rotation is pitching well now, but when hes on, i love to watch him pitch more than anyone else.

Who is this Perez guy that I've watched dominate my Braves twice already this year? They said he was pretty bad against Philly recently. Which one of these guys do you Mets fans think is the real Oliver Perez?
Heres a ton more on Ollie from the 2006 Mets thread. I love dthis trade when we made it and heres some of the reasons why:

Article on Oliver Perez: http://www.sny.tv/news/article.jsp?y...d=36018&vkey=9

A few things of note I took from that article:
- He lost about 6-8 MPH from his SD days to his pitt years (post 2004), partially because he insisted on changing arm slots so much that he struggles with consistancy.
- No pitcher has ever fared worse with "The Jacket" (aka rick peterson) then he has without. So clearly he knows what hes doing. Roberto Hernandez was a case in point in this piece.

Enjoy. And man if Ollie regains his form, we're cruising to the postseason again.

My guess is we wont be seeing perez until 07. He has major control issues and Pitt really ****** him up by trying to turn a guy with a 94 mph heater into the next Glavine. hes not a Glavine type though so his head probably isnt where it needs to be at this point but at 24 hes still young and talented enough to reinvent himself. He has bad control issues as hes always among the league leaders in walks and most pitches thrown but im not sure if thats a direct result of Pitt trying to make him in to a nibbler or if they tried to make him a nibbler because of bad control....He could come to pass as another Leiter type. This is the type of lefty you teach a cut fastball and a nasty slider to. Hes a power arm who can finesse a change or curve sometimes, not a finesse arm with a 94mph heater and I think thats where Pitt and SD lost him. You need to let him be a power pitcher. Thats where his greatest success was...04 was his highest K/9 rate and his best season.

And this article is just awesome in its detail: http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/files/mechanics/discussion/the_complex_case_of_oliver_perez/

braves rule!!!!!
ya, they rule 2nd place. Apparently all that matters is how you fare against your division rival between the dates of april 20-22. Now after tonight look where you are.... :wink:

I was pissed about losing Darren Oliver before, but now I'm really disappointed. I know we were never going to keep the guy, with him wanting to start. But I think he was more important last year than a lot of people gave him credit for.

Want him back!

And glad to see Delgado go yard finally, my fantasy team has missed his power :)

Heres a ton more on Ollie from the 2006 Mets thread. I love dthis trade when we made it and heres some of the reasons why:

Article on Oliver Perez: http://www.sny.tv/news/article.jsp?y...d=36018&vkey=9

A few things of note I took from that article:
- He lost about 6-8 MPH from his SD days to his pitt years (post 2004), partially because he insisted on changing arm slots so much that he struggles with consistancy.
- No pitcher has ever fared worse with "The Jacket" (aka rick peterson) then he has without. So clearly he knows what hes doing. Roberto Hernandez was a case in point in this piece.

Enjoy. And man if Ollie regains his form, we're cruising to the postseason again.

My guess is we wont be seeing perez until 07. He has major control issues and Pitt really ****** him up by trying to turn a guy with a 94 mph heater into the next Glavine. hes not a Glavine type though so his head probably isnt where it needs to be at this point but at 24 hes still young and talented enough to reinvent himself. He has bad control issues as hes always among the league leaders in walks and most pitches thrown but im not sure if thats a direct result of Pitt trying to make him in to a nibbler or if they tried to make him a nibbler because of bad control....He could come to pass as another Leiter type. This is the type of lefty you teach a cut fastball and a nasty slider to. Hes a power arm who can finesse a change or curve sometimes, not a finesse arm with a 94mph heater and I think thats where Pitt and SD lost him. You need to let him be a power pitcher. Thats where his greatest success was...04 was his highest K/9 rate and his best season.

And this article is just awesome in its detail: http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/files/mechanics/discussion/the_complex_case_of_oliver_perez/
:up: Props to the Boik man

ya, they rule 2nd place. Apparently all that matters is how you fare against your division rival between the dates of april 20-22. Now after tonight look where you are.... :wink:

We've won two series against your team boik, but you're right they have to beat the other teams too. They'll be OK, don't get too comfortable. :wink:

We've won two series against your team boik, but you're right they have to beat the other teams too. They'll be OK, don't get too comfortable. :wink:
just responding to the trash talk. You already know what I think of the braves because I posted it in your thread a while ago. I know theyre gonna hang around all season. But if the only two teams you play well against are the mets and phils then its not going to be as close as i thought. :tongue:

Back
Top Bottom