The case AGAINST BPA | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The case AGAINST BPA

Clogging talent is not a bad thing if that's what drafting a BPA is....can create trade bait too, as you might now move a player at the log jam position.

The biggest problem with BPA is that no one knows for sure who that is.

The very concept of BPA is a joke.

Keep on mind that some people might view a player as the BAP at the moment we pick and some people might not. When we say BAP you have to ask, in who's eyes? Who decide who's the BAP? Last year we wasted picks on a WR when we didn't need one. That after we were tole we were going to build thru the draft. You can't build thru the draft by wasting several picks on a 4th string WR. You build by drafting players that have a real chance to fill a hole. Our draft this year is already limited thanks to wasting those 3 and 4 round picks last year. Tbaum thinks this is madden but it's not. Keep the darn picks and use them to draft players that we actually need.

Ozzy rules!!

How exactly can you say those picks were wasted when Caroo is still technically in his first year with the team? What if Landrys demands in his next contract are totally outrageous, and he walks - having Caroo around might lessen the blow of losing him. I think it is a bit premature to label the acquisition of Caroo as wasted...yet.

How exactly can you say those picks were wasted when Caroo is still technically in his first year with the team? What if Landrys demands in his next contract are totally outrageous, and he walks - having Caroo around might lessen the blow of losing him. I think it is a bit premature to label the acquisition of Caroo as wasted...yet.

Very easy. A 4th string WR is NOT what our team needs. Our team needs help at DE,LB,DT,FS,OG and nickel corner. In order to built thru the draft what you do is try to get more picks instead of using 3 picks on a guy that will never start for you unless you have a bunch of injuries. So what makes more sense, to keep your picks and draft players you need for your weak spots or to use 3 picks to draft a WR when that is your strongest unit?

Ozzy rules!!

Carroo is a perfect example as why not to choose BPA while coughing up precious draft picks in the process.

I wasn't aware that a player's career epitaph was written AFTER their rookie season.

I wasn't aware that a player's career epitaph was written AFTER their rookie season.

It's not about the player. It's about the trade. I have nothing against Carroo. He was pretty good in college and maybe one day he'll be a good NFL player but trading away picks to draft him when that was/is our strongest position made no sense at all. There's just no two way about it. He was a total luxury pick for a team that could not afford that luxury. People can spin it every way they want but the fact is the trade made no sense and it's already hurting us. We can really use those picks this week and Carroo is still a 4th string WR, not because he's bad but because who do you want to take away snaps from? Landry?, Parker?,Stiils?.......unless he plays ST's he's not even going to be active. If we had drafted him say in the 5th round and had given away no picks then fine but with all the holes we have you need every pick you can get so that trade did nothing for us last season, will do nothing this coming season and it's hurting our draft this year on top of it. Why is it so hard to just say that our FO messed it up?

Ozzy rules!!

You are assuming a position IS overcrowded to begin with, and the theories casting shade on Carroo is anachronism at it's worst.

You are assuming a position IS overcrowded to begin with, and the theories casting shade on Carroo is anachronism at it's worst.

Assuming? We have Landry,Parker and Stills. So tell me again why do we need Carroo?

Ozzy rules!!

The draft seemed to spiral out of control after the second round. I am okay with the Drake pick. Then trading for Carroo and taking a return RB Grant? Those 3 picks in that order are either strictly by the board BPA or more likely amatuer hour.

Sorry, that is an example of plain bad evaluation. They clearly did not pick BPA if the 2 picks were garbage.
Also. remember that "BPNA" still has a "Best Player" component. Milner and Greene? They were both at a position of "Need", but neither of them were The "Best Player" at the position of need

Anytime a decision is made not to take the best player available it increases the odds of your plain bad evaluation statement happening just like it did for Shula. If i remember correctly we were picking in about the same position in the draft that year as we are this year.
You obviously have more faith in our talent evaluating this year than I do especially seeing what we got out of draft last year picking much higher. Hate to say it but Hickey looked much better than what we have now outside of Gase.

I think you guys are missing that its 'BPA' on THEIR BOARD.. not mel kiper todd mcshay finheaven or yahoo.com's board.. The Miami Dolphins board may very well be built with need positions as priority thus making BPA the most relevant term in the galaxy

When people say BPA they never mean simply take the highest rated player on your board. Even the really good teams have what can reasonably be labeled needs at at least 5-6 positions. What you want to avoid is reaching based on need. Drafting is a multi-variable matrix where no phase can accurately reflect the correct approach completely. You have to consider a positions relative value, the players grade/eval, scheme fit, whether you can get that player the snaps to be worth drafting, talent ceiling, character, the depth of that postion in the draft and a host of other things. So of course you don't just go BPA. Tat said, you better be loading your roster with 24 carat talent when your picking rather than just filling a roster spot.

When people say BPA they never mean simply take the highest rated player on your board. Even the really good teams have what can reasonably be labeled needs at at least 5-6 positions. What you want to avoid is reaching based on need. Drafting is a multi-variable matrix where no phase can accurately reflect the correct approach completely. You have to consider a positions relative value, the players grade/eval, scheme fit, whether you can get that player the snaps to be worth drafting, talent ceiling, character, the depth of that postion in the draft and a host of other things. So of course you don't just go BPA. Tat said, you better be loading your roster with 24 carat talent when your picking rather than just filling a roster spot.

1st round you really want to go BPA which is what we did last year with Tunsil then went immediately to BPA based on team needs IMO in the rest of the rounds. None of our picks outside of Tunsil were full time starters. We had a weak roster too at most positions. Like you mentioned good teams start the need/BPA around 5 etc. Dolphins have not been doing that for years as they constantly have been churning players and coaches. Gonna loose going that route. Happy to see us resign many of our own this year after going in the opposite direction last year

It's not about the player. It's about the trade. I have nothing against Carroo. He was pretty good in college and maybe one day he'll be a good NFL player but trading away picks to draft him when that was/is our strongest position made no sense at all. There's just no two way about it. He was a total luxury pick for a team that could not afford that luxury. People can spin it every way they want but the fact is the trade made no sense and it's already hurting us. We can really use those picks this week and Carroo is still a 4th string WR, not because he's bad but because who do you want to take away snaps from? Landry?, Parker?,Stiils?.......unless he plays ST's he's not even going to be active. If we had drafted him say in the 5th round and had given away no picks then fine but with all the holes we have you need every pick you can get so that trade did nothing for us last season, will do nothing this coming season and it's hurting our draft this year on top of it. Why is it so hard to just say that our FO messed it up?

Ozzy rules!!

What I find interesting about Caroo is what were we thinking about who he was supposed to replace last year. Mathews I guess, certainly not Stills or Parker. His style fits Laundry but no way is going to the bench unless its on a stretcher.

Back
Top Bottom