The case AGAINST BPA | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The case AGAINST BPA

It's always a blend of both theories. Especially for a team with as many problem areas as we have.

This is precisely the answer, IMHO.

We're not going to take a K, P, KR, or LS simply because they're the best at their position. Certain positions have more value. For instance, QB has the highest value, but when a team has one in his prime, that premium for the position disappears. Similarly, LT, CB and pass rusher are the typically highest valued positions after QB. We had an aging, injury-prone and expensive LT with very few years left, so we drafted where BPA met value and still a position of need with Laremy Tunsil. We drafted a combo of BPA, value and a position of need when we drafted Xavien Howard, but we needed to trade up to get to the spot where those converged. And there seems to be evidence that we may have been going after someone else (UCLA LB Myles Jack?) when we decided to trade up, but he was drafted by another team (Jacksonville?) before we selected.

Regardless, I think those two picks were arguably both BPA and need picks. From the Dolphins draft board, we definitely got value from those guys. From a talent evaluation perspective, both of those guys validated their ability as rookies. We can argue that need seemed to overshadow BPA with the picks of Drake and Caroo. But in each case, it's not clear whether that perceived need was in fact an actual need, as we also had Ajayi and Parker.

Looking at the rest of the picks it does seem like their positions were specified with the selections of DB Lucas, TE Duarte, and returner/WR Grant. No disrespect intended for those players, but they seem like they were chosen to fill specific roles in Gase's offense. While I was never a fan of Duarte and definitely disliked Lucas, I was and remain a fan of Jakeem Grant.

Gase wanted to surround Tannehill with talent that suited Gase's system and Tannehill's style. I expected to see that same logic applied to the OL this free agency, but it was not. Maybe that means we draft for need by taking OL early?

Despite the propaganda, zero teams draft strictly BPA. But, nobody in personnel will ever admit it, because then their bosses think they're intentionally drafting worse players, and they get fired. But reality is that they know they're not picking a group of players, but rather picking a team. For the team to succeed, those players must fit the coaching staff's ability to utilize them and complement the rest of the team. Simply drafting 7 QB's every year is sheer stupidity, so it is rare for a team to draft 2 players from the same position, and extremely rare to draft more than 2 from the same position in a given year. Drafting LB in round 1 probably guarantees that we don't look at another LB until round 5 at the earliest. Drafting a CB in round 1 is the same situation, but that doesn't mean we wouldn't come back and draft a S in the 3rd.

Need always plays a major role in every selection. But at the end of the day, getting great players trumps getting solid players at a position of need. When it's close, the war rooms will have arguments for need vs. value. Nobody takes ownership for their argument, because if they're wrong, they're fired.

Like Sons of Shula and Digital have said, it has to be a combination of both. I really believe that the best player available this year will be a DE or LB in either Foster, Reddick, Davis, Charlton, Harris or Willis... Perfect being that we do have a need at DE and it's a premium position.
If the BPA at 22 happens to be a WR, QB or RB when we have a much bigger need at end or LB, we should be taking the end or LB... Especially since the qb, wr or rb won't be much better anyway.
If Lamp is the BPA because ALL of the players that I mentioned are gone then so be it, we should go with Lamp, but I really don't expect all of those players to be gone. In fact most should be around still... God I want Willis or Reddick at 22 so bad.

It's common sense Trinidad. You take the best player available with common sense and logicality. I'm sure Grier took WR off his big board completely. I read somewhere that he narrows down his big board and had only 140 prospects that he'd consider drafting, and it may shorten even more. Every team has their own list of Best Players Available.

You obviously have more faith in our talent evaluating this year than I do especially seeing what we got out of draft last year picking much higher. Hate to say it but Hickey looked much better than what we have now outside of Gase.
Bingo!

Which is why I posted the hypothetical thread about taking a QB/WR in the first three rounds. 1) Don't put it past this front office. 2) I actually think Gase might be able to have some sway on this draft for at least the chance of bringing in a QB who he likes. No, I don't think he has a huge problem with RT, but face it, we have a chance to get out of an expensive contract in 2018 on a QB who still has some doubts and is coming off of an injury that we're not sure he's going to recover from. I'm telling you guys, taking a QB - even at #22 isn't as crazy as you're probably thinking it is. Ditto Jarvis with his looming contract situation.

Personally, I don't know how NFL executives can keep from pulling their hair out of their heads. :lol:

I actually think Gase might be able to have some sway on this draft for at least the chance of bringing in a QB who he likes. No, I don't think he has a huge problem with RT, but face it, we have a chance to get out of an expensive contract in 2018 on a QB who still has some doubts and is coming off of an injury that we're not sure he's going to recover from. I'm telling you guys, taking a QB - even at #22 isn't as crazy as you're probably thinking it is.

:bobdole: It's not just crazy, it'd be ****ing asinine.

bpa is good when you have a great team because you know you can not sign everybody. a team like dolphins need pick player where they are need in first 2 rd first. then in 4th rd go bpa...

:bobdole: It's not just crazy, it'd be ****ing asinine.

And you think you know what you're talking about......and you know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. You've thumped your chest pretty good on this thread like you're an authority - like you work in the Davie complex or something. YOU....DON'T.....KNOW.....JACK! But you have spent the last three plus months recycling the same things - your same point of view - over and over that you all "think" you do know. So when the "unthinkable" happens in late April, you're blown away by it.

So if you don't "agree" with someone else's point of view, it doesn't mean that YOU are the one who is correct. Feel free to NOT chime in on everything you disagree with, and spare me your face palm emoticon, as that doesn't make you correct either.

You've thumped your chest pretty good on this thread like you're an authority

Damn right.

King-Kong-Chest-pound.gif

If we're sitting at #22 and every position the team needs has only low 2nd round level talent available, then yes, I would say take a 1st round talent WR or RB.

That player's contributions may be limited due to playing time this year, but you're not drafting a player for this year and this year alone. You're drafting him for the next ~5 years. Who knows what will happen between now and then. In the mean time, I want to get the most value for the draft selection, and then figure out how to make it work from there.

If we're sitting at #22 and every position the team needs has only low 2nd round level talent available, then yes, I would say take a 1st round talent WR or RB.

I'd say at that point trade back and accrue more assets. No reason to spend a first round pick when it's not necessary if they don't meet a need and/or can't provide immediate impact or replace another player on the roster. Trade back and find someone that can actually help the team while also receiving more value in the process. Doesn't make sense to use the pick just b/c you have it, that's just wasteful.

That player's contributions may be limited due to playing time this year, but you're not drafting a player for this year and this year alone. You're drafting him for the next ~5 years. Who knows what will happen between now and then. In the mean time, I want to get the most value for the draft selection, and then figure out how to make it work from there.

That just isn't going to happen. There is too much talent in this draft.

If you fill your needs in FA, then you can draft BPA. If you believe at our pick was a future Jerry Rice, would you pass him up because you need a guard? No!

If you fill your needs in FA, then you can draft BPA. If you believe at our pick was a future Jerry Rice, would you pass him up because you need a guard? No!

Bahama... IF you really believed that a player in the draft was the next Jerry Rice, then you would have traded picks to move up and get him to MAKE SURE that he was not gone at #22. There is no way in hell you would have sat there waiting with your fingers crossed. So, in essence, your scenario would never happen

Back
Top Bottom