The Case for Brandon Weeden | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Case for Brandon Weeden

steviey013

Active Roster
Reaction score
Ok, he's 28 years old. So what. Matt Flynn is 26. We aren't getting Robert Griffin. Here are some reasons to draft Brandon early in the second round.
1. Very accurate passer with a nice gun. Threw for over 4200 yds last season
2. 6'4" 226 lbs - Robert Griffin is 6'1" / Matt Flynn is 6'2"
3. Mature and experienced athlete who could be our starter for 10 years.
4. We don't have to sell the farm to get him and he allows us to draft BPA in the 1st round.

Some realistic picks for us in round 1 are Trent Richardson, Quinton Coples, Micheal Floyd, Morris Claiborne...I cannot see us reaching for Landry Jones or Tannehill.
If we pick him in the 2nd round then I can overlook the age factor and he can push or start over Matt Moore in year one.

I agree. If you think he is an elite QB, then draft him and get a good 5-8 years of elite play out of him. That is a long time to have the most important position covered. It also buys you time to get a replacement ready for him on down the line. I think the age thing is overblown. If he is elite, get him.

Ok, he's 28 years old. So what. Matt Flynn is 26. We aren't getting Robert Griffin. Here are some reasons to draft Brandon early in the second round.
1. Very accurate passer with a nice gun. Threw for over 4200 yds last season
2. 6'4" 226 lbs - Robert Griffin is 6'1" / Matt Flynn is 6'2"
3. Mature and experienced athlete who could be our starter for 10 years.
4. We don't have to sell the farm to get him and he allows us to draft BPA in the 1st round.

Some realistic picks for us in round 1 are Trent Richardson, Quinton Coples, Micheal Floyd, Morris Claiborne...I cannot see us reaching for Landry Jones or Tannehill.
If we pick him in the 2nd round then I can overlook the age factor and he can push or start over Matt Moore in year one.

Nobody is drafting Weeden in the second round write it down

Landry Jones is staying in school and have you not been watching the dolphins for the past ten years?? We have BEEN drafting qbs in the second round and giving up second round picks for back up qbs that's why we haven't been the slightest bit successful and frankly I'm sick of it. We need to draft a qb high and that includes trading the farm to get one. Good qbs don't last long so I say we pick our guy and go get him. I would throw everything we got at the colts honestly luck is going to be a stud.

Agreed. College is a bubble children play in. You can't overlook Weeden's age. Every QB who has made it in the NFL at an advanced age was out in reality for several years before making it. I think teams realize a developmental point is lost with older QB prospects. I see him going 3rd or later.

I like the idea of getting him if noting could be worked out to get one of the other two. Some people in the media say that he would go much higher if not for his age.

are you saying he will go sooner or later than the 2nd? I was thinking the 2nd sounds about right. At 28, he should go later but they always overvalue QBs

If a team like the Jets are ready to move on from Mark Sanchez, I could easily see them reaching for a guy like Weeden in a QB league.

I guess people forget who Chris Weinke was. he was damn good probably every bit as good or better than Weeden and he was drafted in 4th round. The age will hurt his draft and you can also write down the jets wont be drafting qb high

are you saying he will go sooner or later than the 2nd? I was thinking the 2nd sounds about right. At 28, he should go later but they always overvalue QBs

At 28 he will go no earlier than 3rd round his age makes him a huge risk

I guess people forget who Chris Weinke was. he was damn good probably every bit as good or better than Weeden and he was drafted in 4th round. The age will hurt his draft and you can also write down the jets wont be drafting qb high

I get that. But this league is different now. The QB is so valuable and the league is designed to benefit the QB position. It's much easier today for a college QB to transition to the league and be impactful. The Jets have a lot more pieces than Carolina did when they took Weinke. Age will certainly hurt his draft stock and the OP mentioning that Flynn is 26 is irrelevant. You can get a younger Flynn off the market on the cheap. If you take Weeden you're having to spend a valuable draft pick.

I don't think you can compare Weinke's noodle arm with Weeden's gun. He has a fastball and put it on national display at the Fiesta Bowl.

I get that. But this league is different now. The QB is so valuable and the league is designed to benefit the QB position. It's much easier today for a college QB to transition to the league and be impactful. The Jets have a lot more pieces than Carolina did when they took Weinke. Age will certainly hurt his draft stock and the OP mentioning that Flynn is 26 is irrelevant. You can get a younger Flynn off the market on the cheap. If you take Weeden you're having to spend a valuable draft pick.

age esp at qb hurts draft stock esp in todays nfl

age esp at qb hurts draft stock esp in todays nfl

In no way am I saying draft Weeden in the first or second round lol. I don't want Weeden because of his age. It's very risky IMO.

But a team like the Jets who take a lot of risks...wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Back
Top Bottom