The (CBA) end is near: a primer | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The (CBA) end is near: a primer

Fin Fan in Cali

Fins Up!
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/The-CBA-end-is-near-a-primer.html

Does the union’s decertification strategy have legs?
It is part of a plan hatched in August with the NFLPA Decertification Tour 2010, when the union got authorization from each team to take this step. Now they have bared this ammunition again to try to shift the leverage.

The fact that NFL owners took a preemptive strike a week on this issue --filing an unfair labor practice charge with the NLRB to have decertification ruled a “sham” – tells me that the decertification option scares them.

I do believe this: were the union to go down this path, any goodwill and relationship building with the NFL will be flushed down the drain. If litigation is the way they want to fight, the NFL has plenty of litigators on call. They will fight, delay and appeal the battle at least through the fall, counting on player solidarity in March to fade into the distance by September when the real money starts going in.

Decertification has some potential reward for the union but also high risk. With the late Gene Upshaw leading the charge twenty years ago, it was seen as innovative. Were DeMaurice Smith to repeat it, it would be seen as a legal strategy trying to duplicate the past.

I read something the other day about Graham from the Eagles getting bugged by teammates for loans, because they are already broke. I don't see how decertification will last.

This is about to get real ugly for some NFL players. The way some spend money they will be pushing the union to do what ever it takes to get this done! I think thats what the owners are hoping for. Just play football already!

This is about to get real ugly for some NFL players. The way some spend money they will be pushing the union to do what ever it takes to get this done! I think thats what the owners are hoping for. Just play football already!
Dont think it applies only one way. The NFL and Owners will feel the pinch almost as much as the players will. Business's have failed for lesser performances in 1Q imagine threatening a full year lockout?
Chubbs

The players better deal because the longer this lasts the less they are gonna get. They sure as heck are not gonna be in a better situation than the current deal so they better not get too gready and be forced into a desperate decision.

Dont think it applies only one way. The NFL and Owners will feel the pinch almost as much as the players will. Business's have failed for lesser performances in 1Q imagine threatening a full year lockout?
Chubbs

Don't the owners have things in place to get paid during the lockout? I can't imagine if this were true that them being without 125 mil-ish in salaries not being paid that they could be hurt too bad... Or at all.

Don't the owners have things in place to get paid during the lockout? I can't imagine if this were true that them being without 125 mil-ish in salaries not being paid that they could be hurt too bad... Or at all.
They will still get a huge portion from the TV rights, since they built that clause into their deal. But if there is a lockout they loose out on the revenue from Season Tickets., Merchandise etc... And also the biggest loss would come to those on the lower end of the profit sharing totem. No season is less profits.
Chubbs

Not Anymore! :)

They will still get a huge portion from the TV rights, since they built that clause into their deal. But if there is a lockout they loose out on the revenue from Season Tickets., Merchandise etc... And also the biggest loss would come to those on the lower end of the profit sharing totem. No season is less profits.
Chubbs

If you honestly feel that the owners and players are on even close to even footing then you are fooling yourself. You are overlooking one simple fact: most owners own a football franchise beacue they were rich to begin with! these owners were extraordinarily successful in business long before they ever stepped foot in an owners box. It would be hard to imagine that these same men and women somehow gave up their other, wildly successful endeavors and threw all there eggs in the NFL basket. They are prepared for their football franchise to not make as much profit this year, I assure you...

On the other hand, for most players, their ONLY income is their game checks. Most are young, in an envorment that leaches on their income like no other, and with very little if any practical financial experience. They are used to new cars every year, dinners that reach 5 figure tabs, and closing down the strip club. Add to the fact that a large majority of players make in the 6 figure range (a pittance compared to even the most frugal owner) and the disposable nature of which many treat that income, and I assure you that the players will cave first.

It's only a matter of time. Sure the owners will concede some minor point or two, but ultimately the owners will win out.

Decertification is a touche by players to lockout threats by owners. It's a good thing that both sides have bargaining chips and there are no bullies. I am optimistic that the two sides will reach an agreement before the draft.

Back
Top Bottom